Sooooo sick. :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My whole family has the flu. DH came down with it Sunday, and dd and I woke up Tuesday morning with fevers and hacking coughs. DD has an amazing immune system, so while she is hot and a little droopy, she's in generally good spirits and is still playing and stuff. DH seems to be coming out the other side of his bout with it, although he is still pretty uncomfortable.

But I am sicker than I have ever been in my life. I am in so much pain in my lungs and head. The doctor prescribed Robitussin with codeine, which is taking the edge off of the pain, but it's just not enough, even with copious amounts of ibuprofen. Have you ever been through this? How did you manage it? Any magic treatments I don't know about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM

I dont have any advice cause i am in same boat.  DD 18 got it first fever, cough over it in 4 days,  DD10 got it next 103 fever for 4 days now she is coughing and looks like death warmed over,  I got it next its been 5 days now and no fever left but i feel like crap. The cough is killing me every muscle hurts I can barely walk.  DD 14 is next 104 fever cough and stuffy head..  I can tell you I am so sick of this.  I have done everything natural i know of.   Nothing is working WHATS NEXT!!!!!

Blessings to your family I hope you all get well soon

Amy

#3 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM

We have it at our house too. DD got it first and spent 2.5 days running a fever, she is now still more tired than usual but otherwise okay. DH got it next and has been running a fever since Tuesday morning, and I have not gotten the fever part, instead my throat, head, and most of the rest of me aches from coughing.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

At least we can all be miserable here together. This morning I woke up thinking I was getting a little better. I felt awful, but at least I didn't feel like I was dying. Then I tried to talk and realized I have laryngitis on top of it all. Which is SO frustrating and just adds another level of discomfort. :( It has to end soon, right?!

#5 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 02:00 PM

Share any ideas you all are doing.  My little ones fever come back was 99 yesterday to almost 101 I am sooooo sick of this it is crazy. 

My oldest dd got over it in 4 days bam done but i was giving her an amish remedy and I think it worked for her.  I started it on hte other kids I origianlly didnt cause they werent coughing like she was and its typically for cough.

I am so frustrated and ready to cry

Amy

#6 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM

My kids have the flu, too.  I actually sent my 5 y.o. son back to school today because he had been fever free for 24+hours.  Today we sat down to do some homework and he was out of sorts and started falling asleep. I sent him to bed for a nap and he woke up with a 100.4 fever.  I have a call in to our ped, but I am so over this.  He has been sick since Friday night.  My other guy since Monday.

#7 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM

My little on is feverish again to low grade but I am so done with this too.  We have been at this since saturday.   My oldest was over it in 3 days and the only thing I did different with her was an amish remedy a strong elderberry and mint syrup.  I gave it to her every 3 hours she was up and better in 3 days.  She also ran fever 103 for 3 days and coughing for 5 days.  I hope you all get well soon.

Amy

#8 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

DD is pretty much back to normal (a little bit of a hoarse cough, but no fever), but DH and I still feel like crap. Today I've been up and cooking and trying to act normal, but I just wore myself right out. DH had to go feed the chickens (luckily there are so few of them they can go a few days between needing their feeder filled) and he nearly collapsed when he came back in. Every time I exert myself at all I lose my voice again. At least I finally got a good night's sleep. I'm a teacher and I HATE missing multiple days of school. But it worked out ok this week: Monday no school, Tuesday teacher workshop, and today is a snow day. So my kids were only with a sub for 2 days. I have 2 more days for us all to get back to normal enough for work and school--that's my lofty goal!

Yesterday was rough. There were many tears and a lot of pain all around. So far today is much better. We've had at least one person very sick since Sunday. :( Nothing we do seems to matter. Just keep up with cough syrup, fever reducers (when dd hits 103!), water, and cough drops.

#9 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM

we hit 104 here.  No cough med seems to help here I am coughing my lungs out but i am only one coughing,  Girls have sinus stuff it came after fever broke I guess virus leaving .   The aches and pains were horrid.   I know what you mean getting up and going to feed animals here on the farm has been a night mare being sick.  Trying to keep house clean and laundry done is nightmare.  I cant keep up with it.  Trying to sleep is not working cant stop coughing long enough to sleep.  I will be glad when this is done and think we will hibernate till spring

Amy

#10 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Oh ladies I feel your pain. We just got over the flu here and although it was short lived it was miserable with fever,body aches, sinus stuff, cough, etc. 

DD had a fever for 24 hours(103)body aches, sneezing but beat it out in about 2 days. She's coughing a little still and it's been 6 days. For me it was more sinus and the worst body aches I've ever had! Fever stayed low. 

Anyway I believe the remedies I used is what truly helped us get rid of it quickly. If anyones interested we did this:

apitherapy elderberry syrup every hour.

hot water with lemon and raw honey

cell salts 

belladonna

vit C

bone broths

We didn't use any medication

I have some very strong herbal syrups with strong herbs and garlic but DD is only 2 1/2 so I doubt she would take it now and I'm pregnant so I have to be cautious with what I take but If I had older kiddos I would give them something like that. 

#11 of 14 Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I THOUGHT dd was better, but then her fever reappeared last night (102) and was still lingering this morning (100). And I feel worse today than I did yesterday. I can't even make it halfway up the stairs before getting winded. Luckily dh is better enough to shovel (1+ feet of snow yesterday!) and tidy up the house today. But all I can manage is laying in bed. I started feeling off Monday and was definitely sick Tuesday, and here it is SATURDAY and I'm going backwards. WTH. I just left a message with the on-call doc to talk to him. Should it be taking this long? Why am I sicker today than I was yesterday? When will I be able to breathe again? This is so depressing.

Mom61508, thanks for the reminder about the elderberry. We ran out this fall, but my best friend is an herbalist and makes it for us. I should give her a call. I've been drinking some lemon-ginger tea with honey (as the doctor told me to) and keeping up with my vitamins, especially the vitamin c.

#12 of 14 Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 AM

I got it last Saturday, and here it is a week later and I am STILL coughing and not feeling quite right.  The worst of it is done, but I'm still feeling yuck.  I didn't take much of anything other than some Tessalon for the cough (didn't work).  The ache in all my bones was unbearable last Sunday-Tuesday.  DS got a high fever, but nothing else and was better in 24 hours.  The rest of the family, hopefully, has been spared.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#13 of 14 Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post

Well, I THOUGHT dd was better, but then her fever reappeared last night (102) and was still lingering this morning (100). And I feel worse today than I did yesterday. I can't even make it halfway up the stairs before getting winded. Luckily dh is better enough to shovel (1+ feet of snow yesterday!) and tidy up the house today. But all I can manage is laying in bed. I started feeling off Monday and was definitely sick Tuesday, and here it is SATURDAY and I'm going backwards. WTH. I just left a message with the on-call doc to talk to him. Should it be taking this long? Why am I sicker today than I was yesterday? When will I be able to breathe again? This is so depressing.

Mom61508, thanks for the reminder about the elderberry. We ran out this fall, but my best friend is an herbalist and makes it for us. I should give her a call. I've been drinking some lemon-ginger tea with honey (as the doctor told me to) and keeping up with my vitamins, especially the vitamin c.

Oh yes elderberry is great! have you tried  Sodium Ascorbate at all? That really helped DD's cough and sniffles big time! You would take it to bowel tolerance. Not sure you have any on hand. Ihope you start to feel better.

#14 of 14 Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 PM

DD and I got it last saturday monday and tuesday were bad Wed was better Thursday was bad yesterday a bit better and today is on not great but got out of house today atleast. I was so tired of sitting in house I couldnt take anymore.  we did eldermint made by and amish lady it is awesome.  I think it is the only thing that helped.  My middle dd had 104 fever through the night I didnt know but she got better the quickest.  She is better today out riding her horse.  She sad her eyes hurt alittle like sinus stuff but other than that she is fine.  i am coughing my head off can barely stand it.  I pulled a muscle coughing and how walk like I am crippled over.  This FLU is the worst I have had.

Blessing to you all get well soon

Amy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page