high blood pressure why???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any insight as to why I could have high bp? I am normal weight, vegetarian, no family history and 39 yrs old. It has been high for almost a year-now at 180/103 so my dr is putting me on meds. I just can't get my mind around being on meds for the rest of my life for this. I have tried yoga and meditation, though not as regularly as I should. (2 kids) I feel my heart racing and am also extremely tired in the afternoons. This isn't due to lack of sleep. I am usually in bed by 10:00 up at 7:00 and the kids don't usually get up anymore. Has anyone had any similar situations? I thought I may have read something about this on the boards before relating to adrenal fatigue. Any clues would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogabug View Post

Does anyone have any insight as to why I could have high bp? I am normal weight, vegetarian, no family history and 39 yrs old. It has been high for almost a year-now at 180/103 so my dr is putting me on meds. I just can't get my mind around being on meds for the rest of my life for this. I have tried yoga and meditation, though not as regularly as I should. (2 kids) I feel my heart racing and am also extremely tired in the afternoons. This isn't due to lack of sleep. I am usually in bed by 10:00 up at 7:00 and the kids don't usually get up anymore. Has anyone had any similar situations? I thought I may have read something about this on the boards before relating to adrenal fatigue. Any clues would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Could it be anxiety?  I know that when I go to the doctor my BP is always high because I am so anxious.  I bought a BP cuff to take it at home when I'm feeling relaxed and it's always normal and even on the low side (100/60)

#3 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately?  

afro.jpg
#4 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM

and how about your blood sugar?  How's that doing?

#5 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having all new blood work done next week. Last time it all came back normal except for low vitamin d.

#6 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Could be hyperthyroidism - often causes racing heart and high BP.  Could be some sort of physical problem, such as a narrowing, which causes the blood to pound to get through.  Nutrition wise, perhaps you are not getting enough protein, or too much sodium.   I'm amazed your bp has been so high for a year and you are just now being put on meds. 

Some things to try -- hibiscus tea.  Drink it hot or cold, 3 cups a day.   Also just read about a study where patients squeezed a hand grip for 6 minutes a day -- after a month or so their systolic dropped average of 10 points.

I hope you can figure this out and get it under control.

#7 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DH's blood pressure came down when we really increased the amount of supplemental mag he was getting and we had to switch to 2x/day from 1x/day.  And I've had odd heart rhythms from lack of magnesium--had them for years, odd skips and funny-shaped beats and racing (had an ekg years ago as part of ruling out anything serious), they're gone now that I'm closer to getting a reasonable amount of mag.

The better solution for DH seems to be diet changes, for him low carb (and no gluten/dairy) caused a good-sized decrease in his BP, about 20 pts systolic and 15-20 diastolic, which pretty much made his BP normal (it was borderline/maybe high before).  He still takes a little magnesium, but a lot less than before--maybe 200mg now vs 800 mg before. 

For me, the late afternoon tiredness is adrenal, and for me it corresponds to unhealthily low BP but I know that isn't universal.  I haven't used a lot of herbs meant for adrenal stuff, if you do look into that, make sure they're compatible with high BP--most people with adrenal issues have low BP and so they don't have to consider that. 

#8 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Low thyroid (hypo as opposed to hyper) can also cause high blood pressure as well as high cholesterol. Hypothyroidism, of course, also causes fatigue.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/733788

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#9 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the replies. It will be interesting to see what my thyroid levels are. I only take a regular vitamin - will check magnesium levels. I really hope to figure this out. I hate being so exhausted all the time. It was easy to ignore when the kids were smaller. Now it is definitely not normal. My diet is vegetarian and not low carb at all. Trying to cut down on salt too. Thanks again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page