one child with constant recurrent ringworm--other never had it. what is going on? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD#2 has been battling ringworm off and on for 2 years.  At first it was just a spot or two and then it would go away for months before coming back, then the recurrences started happening more and more frequently and lately they have been terrible!  She got a recurrence in Dec and the Dr. prescribed antifungal cream.  I told him this has been an ongoing recurrent problem (the last time she had it we had gone to a med express so I don't know if he remembered just how many times she'd had it or how recently), and he said he wanted to still try the cream first and if that didn't work he could rx a pill, but he said the pill is more taxing on the system so he didn't want to rx it unless he had to.  Well by the time I got the rx filled and got home, I went to apply it and noticed she had the ringworm all over her body!!  I tediously applied it to all the spots but there were so many that the cream ran out before two weeks was over.  I called the dr and he called in a refill but the pharmacy screwed up when they put in the original rx and said they could not fill it until the two weeks was over.  Thus she went several days without treatment while I was sorting this out, but it was finally starting to go away in early Jan when she came down with the chicken pox! 

It seemed that the ringworm totally subsided while she was sick with the chicken pox but I had another refill of the cream called in just to be on the safe side (the dr. office couldn't see her while she was contagious--they have a no-chicken pox in the office policy), and the dr. said I could use it while she had chicken pox as long as I didn't put it directly on a chicken pox blister.  As soon as most of her chicken pox blisters were gone, there was the ringworm again!  And again, it's all over her poor legs--everywhere!  I mean I'm applying the cream and it seems to effect the sores I apply it to but then the next day she'll have even more, new spots elsewhere!  Of course I am going to call the dr. and tell him that she must really need the pill because this ISN'T working. 

But here's what I don't understand: none of us have ever had ringworm but her.  Why???  I'm divorced and share custody of DDs with their dad and stepmom, and they have a cat at their dad's house.  So at first I thought maybe it was from the cat.  But that doesn't explain why no one else at her dad's house has had ringworm, because, if anything, DD#2 likes the cat the least and generally avoids it as much as possible.  I keep googling to try to find some answers.  To me, it seems like there must be some underlying issue that's unique to DD#2 that would explain why she keeps having trouble with this when no one else in either household has had ringworm a single time in our lives being exposed to the same environments.   But I cannot find anything that really explains what the underlying problem could be or how to really get rid of ringworm this ferocious.  I'm afraid it's going to scar her whole body :(, and I'm at my wits' end!  I'd just like some answers, yk?  Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#2 of 8 Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd had "ringworm" diagnosed by a dr. He treated it with the antifungal cream. She got it a second time on her cheek, so I called our ped. (who was out of town when the first incidence happened). He said she did not have ringworm, but a type of eczema called nummular eczema (or something similar LOL) They look almost alike. YOu can google images of the appearance of it..

I used her eczema cream on it and it went away fairly quickly.

Just our story :)

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#3 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

hmm, that's an intriguing possibility I will ask about!  thanks!

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Nummular eczema is also what I was going to say. It is also called discoid eczema. I get it from gluten.

Pics here

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 08:42 AM

The skin fungus that is called ringworm can be deceptive. There is a go to product that I swear by...Blue Star Ointment. Medicine Chest in a Jar- believe it! I have used steroid creams that with repeat use needed to increase in strength and eventually darkened my skin. Hydrocortisones that did little to hydrate. But Blue Star Ointment has always done a great job on my skin from eczema eruptions, allergic sun reactions, scaly dark elbows, track worn - dry knees, and it keeps my feet cute too! The great thing is that it does the real work too of killing the skin fungus (jock itch, ringworm, athlete's foot) and stopping the itching that comes with all and  those irritations. My grandparents used it on their children, my mother used it on me & my brother and I slather it on to this day...and it's safe for kids. Check out their web site www.bluestarointment.com you will find some great information under the Ailments section. The office is super helpful and friendly...and they give free samples and coupons. 

Sharing the Healing-

Kathryn

#6 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

deditus, we just got a diagnosis that DDs condition is nummular eczema. Should we have her tested for food allergies like wheat? (this possibility makes me nervous because we're already a vegan family so I'd hate to have to cut out soy or wheat!). Have you found any natural soaps or lotions you can recommend? The dr. prescribed a steroid cream to get it under control, but I'd like something more natural to manage this in the future.

#7 of 8 Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2sarah View Post

deditus, we just got a diagnosis that DDs condition is nummular eczema. Should we have her tested for food allergies like wheat? (this possibility makes me nervous because we're already a vegan family so I'd hate to have to cut out soy or wheat!). Have you found any natural soaps or lotions you can recommend? The dr. prescribed a steroid cream to get it under control, but I'd like something more natural to manage this in the future.

You can get her tested, but that will only cover "true" allergies. We have intolerances and the best testing for that is an elimination diet. We don't use soap often, maybe once every week or 2. I like Kiss My Face olive oil bar soap w/o fragrances. We would never use a topical steroid, as I don't suppress symptoms. We try to make them more manageable while figuring out the root cause. We have had really good success with calendula cream.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#8 of 8 Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, deditus!  I got her Weleda Calendula Lotion, so we'll see if that helps.  We try not to overbathe, but I'm curious have you ever tried African black soap when you do use soap?  I was reading that it's supposed to be good for eczema, and I found a brand at our local food co-op that is all organic and seems to contain some soothing ingredients, so I thought it would be worth a try.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page