Natural PMS remedies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-13-2002, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont know if anyone else experienced this. Ive had the worst pms symptoms since dds birth! Cramps, heavy flow, crying jags.........worst the week before and day before. Im still nursing and wondering if anyone uses any homeopathic or natural remedies. I know about upping my b vitamins, but anything else??? Im 44 and could very well be perimenopause on top of just lactating and being hormonal. Never had this before!!
#2 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 03:24 AM

I took Vitex to get my cycle back on track after dd's birth, and I really saw a difference in PMS symptoms, too. It is a hormonal regulator that acts on the Pituitary gland, basically getting it to do its job, as opposed to putting alien hormones into your body. (hee hee, alien hormones) However, it works best in synergy with something else, that something else would depend on you in particular. I took it mixed with Motherwort, which was my herbalist-friend's suggestion. Motherwort is a great nervine, I always use it for PMS, but I tend to have sluggish menses and this herb does stimulate my body, ie. It tends to give me cramps. That's good for me, better than bleeding 1 tablespoon a day for a week and a half....
The other herb she was considering was Mugwort (or Crone's wort) so if you're looking things up you can look that one up too.

I am thinking that Herb Pharm makes a vitex formula specifically for PMS, that has a very very small amount of Pulsatilla in it. Maybe you can find that.

Oh, if you are taking vitex to regulate your cycle (as opposed to the pulsatilla blend that would be just during PMS times) you need to take 1 tsp. of the blended tincture twice a day for at least 3 months, maybe longer, but it really does work if you stick with it....

edited to add: I have no idea whether pulsatilla is OK when you are nursing. Check into that first......
#3 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 11:26 AM

My herb book suggests and inifusion of equal parts skullcap and valerian can be taken when need. And if cramping use cramp bark a dandilion can be added.

I personally use red raspberry leaf capsules. and have had no trouble with pms
#4 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 11:54 AM

Vitex is great. So is cramp bark. Flax or hemp seed oil can also be helpful. As can soy products- especially fermented soy protien powder, tempeh, or miso. So can seratonin tinctures. Acupuncture or shiatsu can also help by adressing the internal imbalance.
#5 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 01:56 PM

this stuff works:

http://www.altmednetwork.net/WomensHealth/pcream.htm

I used accupuncture for raging PMS for a long time with great results.

Watch your refined sugar, caffeine, and get some exercise. That is the hardest part for me - finding time to exercise really vigorously for a stretch of time, but it works so well.

perimenopause can be *such* a fun time.
#6 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 03:39 PM

Several months ago I began having a soy protein shake for breakfast every day. Unexpectedly, my pms symptoms (moodiness, bloating, cramps) have pretty much ceased! Love soy!
#7 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 04:37 PM

I have heard that wild yam cream helps as it is a natural progesterone and that is usually what your body is lacking when you get cramps and stuff. I have never had any problems there so can't tell you for sure.
#8 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 08:12 PM

Homeopathic Sepia 30x is good for PMS.

Knittin', knit.gifsingin', cookin' Sara , newly single, doting auntie.
#9 of 9 Old 05-14-2002, 09:49 PM

...have you considered the possibility of some sort of thyroid imbalance? I know it happens to some women after childbirth.....I only ask because I just came across a textbook that says heavy periods are one sign of hypothyroidism. My teacher also said that symptoms of menopause and thyroid issues can mimic each other. It's just a thought.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page