Pneumonia in 2 year old and we are all sick now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On Friday my 2 year old spiked a high fever of 104.8 in the emergency room. I am not big on giving tylenol or any other drug, but that scared me. They ended up telling us she has Pneumonia (a little boy at our church came down with it a few days prior). I have no experience with pneumonia and it came on quick!!! Now my 4 year old, my 3 1/2 month old and I all have a low fever (99-100) and coughing. My 2 year old is still sick and her fever goes up and down. The ER doc gave her antibiotics and said they would call if tests came back showing it was bacterial (they haven't called), so I am assuming it is viral. The problem is we can't get into to see the peds until Wednesday (they are booked full) I needed to know at what point to go back to the ER if they get worse.  I am mostly worried about my infant, he is BF and healthy, but I really don't want to mess with pneumonia. Is viral pneumonia something that will have to run it's course, or do antibiotics help at all? Is there anything else I can do to help them through this. I dosed me and my 4 year old up on vit C to bowel tolerance, but I can't hardly get my 2 year old to take the stuff, even in sweet juice. I put it in a syringe and she ends up spitting some of it out. They are also taking their vitamins and drinking lots of water. The 2 year old got antibiotics, but the rest of us haven't been to the doctor yet. They older kiddos aren't eating well, but are occasionally still getting up and moving around and playing. I'm not worried, but I want to be prepared to go if I need to. 104.8 seems scary to me!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page