Leg Spasms in 20 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last night after 20 month old DS fell asleep his legs starting doing a spasm/shaking type thing. They would spasm every 20 seconds or so and then he would kick and be still until the next one. This went on for about 3 hours. It didn't matter if I was hold him or he was lying in bed. He woke up several times in this 3 hour window and seemed happy and normal and didn't have any issues walking or didn't complain or act like he was in pain. I rubbed them with Traumel and he acted like one leg was a little more sensitive then the other (but both were shaking). After about a half hour they finally stopped and he slept good the rest of the night.

He was overtired- he went to bed late and didn't get very good naps yesterday (but still about an hour and fifteen minutes.) He is still breastfeeding at night, but I was wondering about a possibly dietary defiancy? Or maybe he was dehydrated?

Any ideas?? I am going to contact my pedi and also my alternative health chiro today but thought I would see if anyone had any similar experiences.

TIA!

#2 of 3 Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM

At a minimum, you could give him some Epsom salt baths. The magnesium is absorbed through the skin, and it helps to reduce cramping. It helps to reduce "restless legs" so it may help your son. There isn't much that is risky about Epsom salts, either. (biggest risk is loose bowels or, if he is SUPER deficient in magnesium, it may make him hyper rather than relax him)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 3 Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

A friend of mine also mentioned a magnesium deficiency... I may check into that... Thank you! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page