Stomach/abdominal cramps in a 6 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any idea what this could be?

Dd (6) has been mostly lying on the couch today because she has had stomach cramps. They definitely come in waves. She began complaining of stomach pain Thursday evening -- she often gets mild stomach issues. (I suspect some dairy intolerance, but just when I was going to remove all dairy this fall, she went 4 months without complaining at all about stomach issues.)

She went to bed early on Thursday, seemed OK on Friday, but was complaining a bit last night. This morning she was complaining again, but eating and went to gymnastics, and walked home with me (20 minutes). She had lunch, but nothing after that and it seems to be getting worse. She feels a bit nauseous, but hasn't thrown up. She has no fever. Her lower abdomen is tender when we press on it, but it doesn't cause great pain, just discomfort.

It's a bit hard to know how serious to take her lying on the couch moaning, because she does that when she has a fever or a cold too. (She's very sensitive to pain.)

We can take her to the doctor tomorrow (with some juggling), but I'm not sure what they'll do. I'd rather wait until Monday when our regular pediatrician would be available.

Ideas?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 AM

My first thought would be to ask about her BMs-- could it be as simple as some nasty constipation? Has she had any diarrhea? Constipation can cause some pretty dramatic discomfort if it goes on too long. With diarrhea, I'd be suspecting some kind of lower GI infection, or maybe food-borne illness. Honestly, if her BMs are fine, then I'd be taking this maybe more seriously-- because if it's not GI, then it would make me wonder what it IS.

I hope you get some answers soon, from a health care professional.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Moving this to Health and Healing where it will get more responses. 

Thanks.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, she woke up the next morning chipper and in no pain. Her appetite was a little off, so I'm assuming it was some sort of stomach bug. (Her poops were fine -- soft and normal.) I was just about to take her to the ER because I was convinced it was her appendix when she started to get more lively.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#5 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM

My sister would get really bad stomach pains like this around the same age.  She would be crying, not sleeping, etc.  She even had a colonoscopy to rule out anything serious.  Basically it turns out, she was lactose intolerant.  It did not happen all the time, and would come in waves.  I would try cutting out her dairy. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#6 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

My sister would get really bad stomach pains like this around the same age.  She would be crying, not sleeping, etc.  She even had a colonoscopy to rule out anything serious.  Basically it turns out, she was lactose intolerant.  It did not happen all the time, and would come in waves.  I would try cutting out her dairy. 

Yes, that's a good thought. There's a strong family history of lactose intolerance. If it happens again, we'll cut out dairy for 2-3 weeks and then reintroduce it to see if that's the cause. It's going to be a hardship for her if that's the case. The child lives on cheese!

#7 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 PM

abdominal migraines could be a possibility too.

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/abdominal-migraine.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page