bad sore throat. Any tips to relieve the pain? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both my caregiver and I have had really bad sore throats the past 2 days.  We have tried Halls lozenges, honey and lemon in hot water, cold water, sea salt/water gargle, reiki, and even 2 different homeopathic remedies that we found in my homepathy book for sore throats.  NOTHING!

Does anyone have any other tricks for a sore throat?  My caregiver thinks we have caught a bug that has been going around town that causes a bad sore throat and cough. 

Jessie

#2 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 05:30 AM

what homeopathics did you try?  did they match the symptoms?

what does the throat look like?  what makes it better, what makes it worse?  did it come on suddenly?  what's the quality of the pain?

have you gargled with salt water?  you can put some hypericum in the salt water for some extra analgesic effects.

#3 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM

The best thing I have found for sore throat is apple cider vinegar. Dilute about a teaspoon in a few ounces of water. Gargle and swallow. If you can't gargle (sometimes I can't if my throat is that sore) just swallow. It will relieve pain and help fight off whatever 'bug' you may have. 

You can adjust the acv/water ratio, but never try it straight. If you can't get it down, add a little honey or a splash of apple juice to it. Use raw apple cider vinegar, the one with the mother in it... like Braggs.

gl

hth

PS - eat lots of raw garlic to fight off your 'bug' ... Or better yet - look up the master tonic recipe and make that for the next time you're sick. :-)

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#4 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM

i been having this major sore throat with a cough for 23 days now I have  a fever that is with tummy cramps. See about putting euculptyus oil in a steamer it more likely will be continous but as long as i have the steamer running with that it does make my throat feel better

#5 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM

I have used grapefruit seed extract drops in water. Gargle and swallow.Nasty stuff but it worked.

If you go to http://www.healthy.net

there will be a good page or 2 on sore throats. I like the one by Janet Zand.It is for kids,but just up the doses.

#6 of 10 Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips.  I can't use the grapefruit seed extract, because of the medicines I am taking right now (you can't have grapefruit in any form, unfortunately).

I did try the apple cider vinegar and that helped take away the stinging, especially in the nighttime.  My caregiver and I even mixed the apple cider vinegar in with the honey/lemon water, and that worked very well.

I went to the doctor today, and fortunately, do not have strep throat.  I had to tell my kitten, Angie, not to knead on my neck last night, because it hurt whenever she hit the left side.  cat.gif

Jessiefever.gif

#7 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Brendan View Post

i been having this major sore throat with a cough for 23 days now I have  a fever that is with tummy cramps. See about putting euculptyus oil in a steamer it more likely will be continous but as long as i have the steamer running with that it does make my throat feel better

If you have a major sore throat and a fever for 23 days, you really need to go to the doctor. I had a sore throat and fever all weekend, saw the Dr yesterday and was diagnosed w strep. I started anti-biotics yesterday and already feel better. Strep does not go away on its own and can be very dangerous (people used to die of it, before there were anti-biotics.) Please get yourself checked out.
#8 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM

One thing that works great for us, two cloves garlic through a garlic press, in one tablespoon honey, and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (take teaspoon every hour or two). Along with that we always take immune boosting things like echinacea, vitamin D, and goldenseal. Works wonderfully for us!

#9 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM

When my kids and I have sore throat I put about two drops each of clove, tea tree, and lavender oil in about an ounce of olive oil and rub that on our throats. You wouldn't think it would do anything, but it does take the edge off. You can add more of the essential oils if you want a stronger solution. I second the use of garlic. For a friend who recently had strep throat, I made him a tea of red reaspberry leaf, peppermint, ginger and a clove of garlic. Sweeten with honey. The apple cider vinegar also sounds like a good idea.

Rachel

#10 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Well, I went to the doctor, and tested negative for a strep throat last Friday.  My doctor said that it was just a common virus (she dubbed it the Grays Harbor County Crud, because everyone has been getting sick like this lately).  Fortunately, I am feeling much better and yesterday, I organized the kitchen completely.  Today, I was finally able to help in the natural healing shop my friend and I own.  My sore throat is gone, but I still have the sniffles. 

Thanks for all the helpful advice.  I copied some of the tips down, so I know these remedies in case I get a sore throat again.

Jessie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page