Just diagnosed with rectocele, need fiber supplement rec please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My doc thinks that with kegels and a fiber supplement things should improve or at least not get worse. Is there something other than metamucil or similar that is better for a natural mama. Something that will not cause gas or bloating or make me regret taking it. I will also be upping veg/fruit and water. I am gf. Thanks for any recs!

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM

I take FiberSmart everyday because I have to take iron for anemia.  They recommend up to 3 twice a day but I find taking one at morning and night works just fine.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Anyone else? I want a few different choices as I'm going to an appointment and getting muscle tested.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM

I believe I have one from hours of purple pushing (without the urge) with my first. With this baby I ended up with some serious hemorrhoids so I've been super careful because I cannot get constipated. My savior has been prunes and making sure I get enough water. I'm also taking an iron supplement (Floravital - gf version of Floradix) and I think the yellow dock root in that is helping too. I also avoid constipating foods like bananas and dairy.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I believe mine came from pushing baby out too. I didn't push for a super long time, but I started pushing before my body was ready.

Unfortunately at this time I cannot eat dried fruit. I already don't eat dairy, gluten, corn, soy, nightshades, peanuts and most nuts. I do eat bananas but not super often. I do eat a lot of brown rice and qunioa. I was looking into chia seeds....

Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 PM

We have pretty much the same diet - I'm corn, gluten, soy, dairy and peanut free too. What about flax? I think the mucilaginous qualities are the same as chia, perhaps cheaper? Do you react to GF oats? If not, oats have a lot of fiber. Trial them before you start eating them regularly though; I react to them and so do some other GF folks I know. Bummer you can't eat dried fruit. Prunes are some of the only ones I can get away with (I also have oral allergy syndrome and react to most fruits, ugh).

If you aren't already doing this, you could keep a food log to help figure out which foods are more likely to give you harder/softer stools.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
Old 02-26-2011, 01:04 PM

I'm at a point where a fiber supplement doesn't really help. I'm taking Miralax everyday - rx'd by my doctor, approved to take long term. It doesn't work in the same way that other laxatives do, so you don't become dependent on it to go.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM

a vote for the chia seeds here.... they have saved me this pregnancy.  i was horribly constipated for the first 4 months until i started taking a spoonful every morning.  super easy because they have no weird taste or texture and they are more stable than flax.  i'd definitely give them a try.  

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I can't do flax, not now anyway. Also, gf oats make me gassy. Blah I love me some oatmeal though.

I am currently not doing a food log, but have in the past. I seem to be real gung ho about it a first and then miss a day or two and then can't remember what the heck I ate those days. Yeah I'm a slacker.

I have an appointment with my HCP on Friday, so I'm going to bring a few items for her to test me on. I'm hoping the chia will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipoppins View Post

We have pretty much the same diet - I'm corn, gluten, soy, dairy and peanut free too. What about flax? I think the mucilaginous qualities are the same as chia, perhaps cheaper? Do you react to GF oats? If not, oats have a lot of fiber. Trial them before you start eating them regularly though; I react to them and so do some other GF folks I know. Bummer you can't eat dried fruit. Prunes are some of the only ones I can get away with (I also have oral allergy syndrome and react to most fruits, ugh).

If you aren't already doing this, you could keep a food log to help figure out which foods are more likely to give you harder/softer stool

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM

POPCORN. That is the only thing that really helped me!! About 6 months after the birth, I started eating about 2 cups of popcorn a day and within a couple months I was SO much better. It definitely could have been the timing but I do think the popcorn helped me. Just be sure to go potty AS SOON as you need to go.

(((HUGS))) I would not wish a rectocele on anyone!!!

Alayna
mama to Braden (9), Caleb (3) & Julie (16 mo)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

POPCORN. That is the only thing that really helped me!! About 6 months after the birth, I started eating about 2 cups of popcorn a day and within a couple months I was SO much better. It definitely could have been the timing but I do think the popcorn helped me. Just be sure to go potty AS SOON as you need to go.

(((HUGS))) I would not wish a rectocele on anyone!!!

Can't eat corn. Love popcorn. sniff...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 PM

with regards to doing kegels....

if you have some time, you should check out this blog.  i think what she says makes a lot of sense and her writing is entertaining :)  her most recent post seems to pertain to your current problem.  

http://www.katysays.com/2011/03/01/push-em-out-push-em-out/

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Chia seeds are great. Full of fiber and calcium. Too expensive at Whole Foods, so I buy at www.chiaseedsdirect.com. Free shipping for my order.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Great! I will check it out. Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAgreenmama View Post

with regards to doing kegels....

if you have some time, you should check out this blog.  i think what she says makes a lot of sense and her writing is entertaining :)  her most recent post seems to pertain to your current problem.  

http://www.katysays.com/2011/03/01/push-em-out-push-em-out/

User Tag List