Mothering Forum banner

How often does your child go to the chiropractor?

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  starbuckmom 
#1 ·
i take my ds 2.5 yr old to the chiro every 2 weeks. the doctor said that she likes to see him that often because it takes 2 weeks for something to "set in" o if anything got misaligned during that time, she can correct it.

we go to the chiro for preventative purposes, there is nothing seriously wrong with him. i also appreciate the discount she gives for children. however, i just dont know what the proper amount of visits are for an otherwise healthy child.

is it possible for my sons body to get accustomed to the chiro and his body not "know" how to align itself?

#2 ·
I take my DS (almost 3) 1x/week. (he is healthy and we go preventatively) If he is ill Ill often take him in for an extra adjustment.

How often you go really is dependent on what the issues are and if there are sublaxations present at every visit.

I' ve never heard my chiro or my son's tell me it takes 2 weeks for something to "set in".

That doesn't make sense to me.

#4 ·
thanks ladies. i feel better now knowing others go quite frequently. i really like our chiropractor and very much trust her professional opinion. but i just didnt know if i was going "overboard" with preventative health, as i know no one in my family that does even half of the health things i find essential, but really nothing out of mothering norm i guess:) anyway, thanks again!

#5 ·
My chiro also treats my dd for free. But my dd (who has some special needs) hates the chiropractor so I only take her when she was sick or anytime it had been a long while since her last visit. I guess she goes maybe 3-4 times a year. I would like it to be every month or two for both of us. But finances and her disliking it so much don't make that very possible.

#7 ·
We go when there is a need. After she adjusts, then we come back once more to readjust. If she is happy with the results, then we don't need to come back. Sometimes it takes more than 2 visits. When my 2yr old had torticollis at 3mos, we saw her 2x's a week for a few weeks then the visits dropped to once a week and then farther apart.

In October, I take all 3 of my kids in to get them ready for the flu season. If I feel their colds are going on longer than it should, I take them in and she checks their ears. B/c we have been doing this, the twins have only had 1 or 2 ear infections each.

#9 ·
Wow, you must have some $ or it is a really good deal! We can only get 20 visits a year, max, on our insurance, but I don't bring my son that often because we pay full price until we meet the deductable. Maybe every 3-4 months or so? Unless there is a fall or he get sick or something.

#10 ·
Me and DS (22 mos) go usually once/week unless something prevents us from getting there. We go preventatively but since DS has been sick a lot this winter (colds and now some virus I am trying to understand) I have had him adjusted 2x/week on those weeks. Mainly to try to prevent ear infection. So far he hasn't had one though I am suspect of what is going on with him right now (I will be posting later for some insights).

Our chiro doesn't perscribe how frequently to come but she seems happy with once/week and if we miss a week it's ok.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post

Do they adjust children the same way as adults?

My son had tortocollis too and I often wonder if I should take him- He's 4yrs old.
Now that your ds is 4, he probably would be treated just the same but even more gentle. My ds is 5 and he lays on the table/bed like I do when my chiro takes care of me. When they are younger, the kids usually sit on my chiros lap or lay across her lap so she can adjust them.

It probably wouldn't hurt to take him in and see what your chiro would say. You might have to do some stretching exercises with him to stretch the muscles. Getting the next and upper back adjusted aid in getting rid of the torticollis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.