Say your kid got the measles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would you take them to the Dr.?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Banned

umm probably? It depends, measles and just measles? Or are we talking a new born with measles or a toddler or a teen? An otherwise healthy  kid or one that is chronically ill or immune compromised?

DD is healthy as a horse except for the odd cold here and there. She is not vaxed and we do take her to her regularly scheduled well baby visits. I'm not a huge fan of her ped in general but he is accepting enough of us not vaxing her to not boot us from his practice which is the only reason we stay there. 

I guess I would need to know the point of bringing her in to see him? To confirm measles, that would be a good reason to me if only so I knew exactly what she had. If she spiked a really high fever that I couldn't bring down myself, yes. If I was just feeling a general sense of concern and that she needed to be seen then yes.

So many variables though. I am not afraid of the measles or her getting them but I have NEVER seen measles IRL let alone knew someone who had them. Supposedly there is an outbreak here in MA but I have yet to be alarmed about it. 

Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well DD is 16 m/o the reason I am asking is b/c the last three days she's been sick. This morning her eye is red. So it could be signs of it...if she breaks out in the rash today or tomorrow I will know for sure. She is healthy. I know just regular measles bed rest is recommended. She is still BFing as well so I think if she did get it she would get some benefits from the milk.

I just don't know if it would be wise or even make sense really to take her if she did have it. I know they would probably be panicking and do documentation and all of that stuff and if we go anywhere we would spread it if she does indeed have it KWIM?

Obvs if she had a complication I would have to, but if she doesn't wouldn't it make more sense to just keep her home and nurse her back to health?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 AM

i would take her in. i'd want my DD's pedi to listen to her lungs to make sure it wasn't causing pnemonia, and i'd want to know what symptoms to look out for that indicated a complication. however, i would call ahead and let them know that you're thinking it could be measles, because they'll probably want to take steps to avoid the chance of spreading it to other kids.

is her timeline right for the measles anyway? i don't know anything about it. a red eye could also be conjunctivitis, no? so i'd bring her in anyway in case she needs something for that. but definitely call ahead, measles virus can linger in the air for hours and you don't want to risk infecting any small babies or kids with underlying health conditions.

hope she's better soon!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Im wondering why you are jumping right to measles??

Red eyes is much more likely due to a viral infection (pinkeye or other type of virus). My DS has had 2 bouts of viral redeye when he has been sick in the last 8 weeks.

Does your LO have a high fever? Measles is accompanied by a high fever (like 103 and up). Are there koplick spots in the mouth? This would be the definitive way to tell. The diagnosis is usually based on the presence of Koplik spots, the presence of cough, conjunctivitis runny nose and the sequential progression of the rash.

To answer your question, if my DS did have measles, I would call our ND (who has treated measles before) and if he wanted to see him, I would bring him in, otherwise I would follow his advice over the phone. I would not bring him to our pedi.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Measle typically begins with a high fever and Koplik spots on the interior of the cheeks, but this is in an older child. In one so young measles may not follow the expected timeline/symptoms.

That said, when my son had pink eye it began with respiratory symptoms for a few days, followed by the red eyes. We had thought it was due to his coughing so hard but the doctor said he had pink eye.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Goodluck either way mama. 

I myself would probably bring DD into the ped, although I would definitely call ahead as they would want to usher her right into an exam room 

to try and prevent spreading or something? IDK....I can imagine my ped would be a total UAV about the situation 

but if I really needed reassurance I can deal with that you know?

I hope you DD is feeling better soon, let us know how it goes!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Was your child exposed to measles?  I'm wondering why you would think this was measles.  Lots of viruses present this way.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 03-02-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

IDK maybe I just thought it b/c it's all over the news right now lol She doesn't have the kolptic spots. I put some breast milk in her eye and it is clearing up nicely (my treatment of choice for conjunctivitis and other eye infections) I gave her a bunch of vitamin c today and gave her some vitamin A as well.

I have only taken her temp once, it was 101.

She won't really eat solids, but I did get her to eat her favorite which is peas. She won't drink anything but breast milk right now. She seemed pretty bad this morning but this afternoon she did a lot better and was at least playing and joking around and stuff so I am thinking it is just a virus. I figured if it were measles to wait for the spots. She is breathing fine and is congested but no cough. I know what to look out for with breathing issues ect b/c I am a CNA, EKG tech, and Phlebotomist and worked in the medical field for 7 yrs inc. clinical before I became a SAHM. Just so everyone knows I guess lol

Of course if I felt I had to I would bring her to the ER or something. I will see how she's doing in the am and bring her in if she's still not doing too well.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 AM

I know what it's like to see all these things on the news and start to feel paranoid.  Don't worry about it.  hug2.gif I'm glad she's starting to act more happy.  Hopefully she's on the rebound now. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

No spots! She definately has conjunctivitis or maybe just really bad sinuses. She's all backed up with boogers lol I think it's just a virus.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 AM

I am trying to imagine a mother walking in to a paediatrician's waiting room with a child covered with measles.  Why would anyone do that?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post

I am trying to imagine a mother walking in to a paediatrician's waiting room with a child covered with measles.  Why would anyone do that?

Yeah me too. Let me take her out and drag her to the Drs and spread it to everyone for a diagnosis? It makes no sense. Why don't Drs do house calls anymore?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 AM

I would not take my child to the doctor to confirm measles.The doctor can do nothing as far as treatment.Going to the doctors would only expose my child to other germs,and seocondary infections are often what kid a child dealing with measles.And chance are there would be moms there with newborns.I am sure they would not appreciate the exposure.

If my child needed medical care during a bout with measles it would mean they were seriously ill,and I would want him in a hospital where his doctor could provide more  care to halt the complications and help aid in healing.

You can always have titers done to confirm measles at a later time.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 AM

If i suspected measles I'd take it in for confirmation.

however here with measles you don't go in the regular entrance, they ask that you come in the back door - the one the staff uses to come in.  You aren't in the waiting room. 

Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

sosurreal- i live in MA too and have been bombarded by the news and relatives about the outbreak in Boston, (not even sure all of them know DS isn't vaxed against measles). Of course, DS has a horrible "virus" of some sort that has been on and off for 2 weeks (or it's 2 different bouts with something). I haven't seen any of the spots in his mouth, though he does complain of a sore spot in his mouth which I have assumed is one of his 2 year molars bothering him.

i agree with PPs that i wouldn't take him to Ped so as not to spread if it was it, not to mention the shunning i would get from the office staff, nurses and Drs b/c DS isn't vaxed and they aren't really a non-vax friendly practice (i have asked them if i can delay and they'll basically give me until his 2 year well visit in May...)

but i also agree, if his cough got worse or i suspected pnemonia or fever got worse (it spiked around 104 on Sunday and then has been about 101 until today), i may go ER care instead.

Let's try not to listen to the news though! The same scare that was instilled in us last year with H1N1. arg.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I agree!

My BFF (pro-vax) called me the day the story came out about the whole airport thing and says "The news said 90% of un-vaccinated children will get the measles this year" I started laughing and she was all mad like "That's almost a guarantee she will get it, you need to do something" Hmmm 90% huh that's an awful lot of kids....haven't heard any more cases though...

Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

I agree!

My BFF (pro-vax) called me the day the story came out about the whole airport thing and says "The news said 90% of un-vaccinated children will get the measles this year" I started laughing and she was all mad like "That's almost a guarantee she will get it, you need to do something" Hmmm 90% huh that's an awful lot of kids....haven't heard any more cases though...

What exciting news! My unvaxed kids have a great chance of getting measles this year. banana.gif

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

What exciting news! My unvaxed kids have a great chance of getting measles this year. banana.gif

lol.gif

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Well, I wouldn't know that it was measles, first of all. But if I suspected that my child had measles, I would absolutely want to get a diagnosis one way or the other.

User Tag List