5 week old DD has a cold... remedies, your experiences... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm freaked out since if the temp goes over 100.4F they want me to take her to the hospital. I know what will happen as when DS was 3 weeks old and ran a 100.6F temp they did a spinal tap, IV abx, bloodwork, catheter. I would rather avoid that if possible, I understand the chance of bacterial infection and it is weighing heavy on my mind now.

DS is 2.5 years old and came down with a cold on Monday, I started to have it too on Thursday, DD started last night. I was btw on antibiotics until today for mastitis. The doc thinks it is a viral cold. Her lungs and ears are clear, but her nose is stuffy and she is running a mild fever. It never was higher than 99.9 rectally, but her head got a little warmer when on blankets or worn, but even the doc said that happens from heat not being able to escape and only rectal temp counts. He gave us saline drops and I also squeeze some breastmilk in her nostrils...

Do you have any other advice? Remedies? I am dreading the hospital and invasive procedures.

#2 of 2 Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me and the baby (5 weeks old Sunday) have head colds. I've been taking lots of sodium ascorbate (vitamin c); not to bowel tolerance, but enough so I'm feeling better and he is clearly getting it via bm because he's less stuffy and what is coming out is clear. SA is what I always reach for now when I'm getting sick and it's clear it also benefits my nursling as well. Good luck, hope you both feel better soon.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page