When to treat thrush? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At the 6mo check up for my DS, the doctor noticed a little bit of thrush inside one cheek.  He said it can be normal for bf babies and was pretty mild and didn't need to be treated.  Now, 1 month later, I'm noticing that the thrush patch is still there.  At night, he often fusses and resists nursing, but he has some other night issues including reflux.  I am also nursing my almost 3 yo DD.  At what point do I treat the thrush and how with both kids nursing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Location: In the garden of dreams***Tellin myself it's not as hard as it seems***
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Lillilly!

Aviva Jill Romm has some great information on Thrush in her book Naturally Healthy Babies and Children. She says to keep your hygeine excellent- wash hands after diaper changes, touching your nipples, or the baby's mouth, also to cut out or limit yeasted foods, wheat, sugars, honey, fruit, and juices/heavy starches that contribute to yeast growth. Yogurt is one of the best remedies for treating yeast infections- have your baby suck plain yogurt off of your fingers (1-3 tsps), you can also have your 3 yo eat some plain yogurt. Put the yogurt in a dish so you don't contaminate the rest, and let the yogurt reach rm temp. and apply w/ cotton swab or finger to affected areas. Pure apple cider vinegar also works well, just less palatable. This is also good to use to wash your nipples so it doesn't spread it can be very problematic if it does. Dilute 1 tbs per 1/2 c water. you can also apply yogurt to your nipples and wash before nursing if they are affected.

There are also some herbal recs if it gets to be more extreme, but i say try that first. HTH and good luck!

much love, many blessings!

-Jessjoy.gif

User Tag List