unable to taste salt ... related to adreanl fatigue? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a friend who is struggling with adrenal fatigue and she mentioned she'd lost all taste for salt with her last pregnancy.  Her doctor told her it was some strange pregnancy related thing ... aka, he has no idea why it happened.  Has anyone heard of this?

I've done a lot of research on adrenal fatigue and I know the importance of adding Celtic Sea Salt to your diet, but I've never read of this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lost all taste for salt... meaning she doesn't like salt, or she can't taste salt?

For years, I preferred much less salt than most people, now I salt things fairly heavily.  I think both are swings in the state of my adrenals, I just missed it for those 15 years at first.  I think my adrenals are more rundown now.

Pregnancy is a fairly big strain on our adrenals--healthy people can deal with it well, but people who are stressed (physical stresses or mental/emotional or both) can find it takes quite a toll--it seems to push women over the edge quite often, and more health issues crop up afterward. 

ETA: It seems to correspond to imbalances in how we regulate sodium and potassium, and at times we either hoard sodium and waste potassium (earlier on), or later our bodies hoard potassium and waste sodium (some people feel bad eating lots of bananas and potatoes because they have so much potassium and they just don't tolerate it well, and they salt things heavily because their bodies are using the sodium very inefficiently).

#3 of 4 Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

she said she is actually unable to taste salt, which I guess could mean she's lost her taste for it, also ... it seems opposite of what I've read about having a craving for salt

#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Only salt?  Some people have issues with taste--not tasting things very strongly--due to zinc deficiency, but I've never heard of it for only one flavor.  Zinc demands are high in pregnancy, and that's a mineral that it's easy to be borderline on.  Otherwise...no clue. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page