Ear piercing guidance, please... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post

My understanding is that, while not catastrophic (both my sets were done with a gun -- the second set outdoors at Venice Beach!), guns aren't ideal because they punch a large diameter spike through your lobe with a lot of force, causing more pain and tissue damage, lengthening the healing time, and posing a higher risk of an off-center piercing and infection.

this. take a pencil and push it through a piece of paper to create a hole and then use a hole punch to create a hole next to it.  this is the difference between a gun and a needle.

in one you are shoving a fairly blunt object through the tissue, ripping it and the interior of the hole is uneven posing a higher risk for infection with the uneven surface area.  with a needle the hole is clean, the needle is hollow so it removes the excess tissue and allows the clean edges to heal around the post.  you can get more technical but the difference is pretty obvious.

My ears were done with a gun when I was 7.  I don't have problems with them, but I'd never do it again, nor would I allow my kids to have it done like that.  There is no way to truly clean a gun.  There is a sort of spray back when it's used and you can't get all the fluid and tissue off of it.  Not my cuppa tea.  Again, this is how I feel about it and no one is required to feel the same.

here's the first thing I pulled up from google...but there's many like it:

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

#32 of 49 Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

yup, there is that.  I'd compare it yourself.  Often there is a visible difference when you have them both in front of you.  A sturdier ring is more likely to hold it's shape well preventing you from losing a bead.  If they're identical and it's just about the overhead, then no worries.   I've bought cheap jewelry and nice jewelry where it was the same thing....the cheap jewelry didn't stay in, the flares weren't big enough, they were much lighter, the edges weren't as beveled etc.  Again, not saying this is the situation, just putting it out as an option.  I love to shop online, but now know what companies to stay away from.

That said, many piercers will only work with their product for the initial job.  Just ask.  Not all feel that way so you'd just need to find out.  Have fun!

Thanks! I totally get what you are saying. I have had the same experiences.

I guess I should ask if anyone has heard of the company I found and has any experiences to share:

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/popup_image.php?type=D&id=6793&title=16g%205%2F16%22%20Stainless%20Steel%20Captive%20Bead%20Ring%20STERILIZED%20Ready%20for%20Use&area=C

SKU UR280
Product ID 6793
Material: 316L ASTM F-138 Stainless Steel
Manufacturer Painful Pleasures

16g 5/16" Stainless Steel Captive Bead Ring STERILIZED Ready for Use
High Quality with a superior polish. Some of the best Captives on the market
Now Sterilized.
Each individual Captive Bead Ring comes sterilized in a small sterile pouch with gauge and ball size and length printed on the pouch.
Ball is 3mm and Diameter is 8mm

From my reading, 316L is surgical grade. I've never heard of this company before and haven't gone looking for reviews yet, but I will before purchasing. I don't know if 16g 5/16" is the right size for a child's earlobes, but the same specs are on the slightly thicker and slightly larger diameter version.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#33 of 49 Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 AM

I think 16 gauge is too big for a child's ears. Ears are usually pierced at 18 or 20 gauge.

#34 of 49 Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

DH & I visited the place one night after a date night in that area of town. We got a lot of attitude from the two guys there at that time. By the end of the conversation, they were more pleasant. But, it definitely left a less than favorable impression on me. I have to call back to find out which piercing professionals will pierce a minor's ears and find out the piercer's individual preferences for the type of earrings.

These guys insist children play with hoops more than labrets and the risk of infection is too high (with a captive bead ring), so neither of them would use those. They would only use 18 gauge short labrets and they were out of those.

The hours the studio is open are set in theory, but staffing is VERY flexible. They don't make "appointments" per se, but I have to call ahead to make sure someone will be there who will do this type of work. An appointment would be easier.

My DD really wants purple hoops. I was quoted $105 for the piercing and earrings that night. The piercing is $25, so that leaves $80 on earrings. That is way too high for something she doesn't like or want. Sure, I can buy her purple hoops (captive bead rings) for after the 8 week period, but what about the $80 earrings??? Ugh.

I see why people go to Claire's. It is a LOT easier!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#35 of 49 Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM

I would go somewhere else. They don't have what you want, they give you attitude, and they won't commit to an appointment but you can't walk in either? Why would kids play more with a hoop than a labret?

For comparison -- we walked in without an appointment and they were super-nice and took us right away, piercing plus earrings was $50, they were interested in OUR preference of earrings not the piercer's, and they had no hesitation about doing a minor as long as the parent was present.

#36 of 49 Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Even my DH felt she would play with a hoop more than a stud. I think it is a male thing. LOL

As a female with pierced ears and knowing lots of kids, I think the play factor is dependent on the child more than the style of earrings. They ALL want to show off their new earrings!!! The way in which they do so is highly dependent upon the personality of the kid.

#37 of 49 Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM

I would still consider that studio, just not late at night. Chances are good that the two guys working the late shift were not the most family friendly staff.. You want the piercer who has to be home by 8 to tuck in the kids, IYKWIM.

I had a gun piercing when I was 10, administered by a teen at a cheep place in the mall. The stuff they put on my ears stank, then the first hurt so bad and was so loud that my mom had to hold me down to do the second. They are not even, and the second ear never has healed right. Kudos to you for taking the time to get a gentle experience for your DD!

Choose a small Gadge, like 20. Otherwise she will have trouble wearing regular earrings. If the holes are too large studs can droop. And ears stretch out easily if she decides she wants that look later on.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#38 of 49 Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

She got her ears pierced today. smile.gif

That place has two piercing studios. I had called and visited one studio. I called the other studio yesterday. Got the same info. I looked online and didn't like the reviews nor locations of the other two APP studios. I called and talked to a few friends with piercings (more than just lobes). Everyone I know went to the mall for their lobes. The more interesting piercings were mostly done in different cities.

I decided to let my DD make the choice. I packed my purse with Ferr Phos and Arnica and the camera, just in case. Then, we headed to the closest studio. Just to look and see how she felt about it. She looked at earrings and talked to people. Then, she said she was ready and liked the place and wanted the blurple (blue-purple) titanium captive bead rings (18 gauge). Thankfully, the piercer there was willing to pierce a minor! DH had to bring us her birth certificate because I had forgotten THAT. lol.gif

It was same guy (APP piercer) from the other location the night DH & I visited. He did the captive bead rings and didn't question HER. He did mention that her hair is more likely to get caught in the hoops, but he never said he would prefer a different type of earring today. The counter guy was different today versus last week at the other location. I wonder if that was the difference or if meeting my DD was the difference or what? I didn't want to push it because she was getting what she wanted and it cost me a lot less.

She did well and absolutely ADORES her new earrings!!!

The aftercare instructions are to soak her ears in a saline solution for 7-10 minutes twice a day. The care instructions are on a big flexible magnet, which is very convenient! It has specific directions for making the solution, which I followed. Soaking a child's ear lobe for 7-10 minutes was quite challenging!!! I chose to irrigate the second ear with a gentle stream of the warm saline solution. (The instructions state "warmer than body temperature". I went with 100 degrees, since it was fine on the inside of my wrist.) I dried her ears thoroughly with a clean, dry cotton cloth (non-terry).

Got any advice on the aftercare logistics??? Is there a benefit to literally soaking the ear lobe?

She was kneeling in her chair at the kitchen table with a small mug up to her ear and very uncomfortable the entire 8 minutes. She had tried sitting and kneeling; holding the small mug up to her ear; leaving the mug on the table and leaning into it; etc... She was miserable. The irrigation technique was just as miserable (standing at the kitchen sink), but it was faster.

Her ears look great! No redness or swelling or anything! Amazing (to me... I've only seen the results of gun piercings)!!!

Pretty New Earrings.jpg

This was taken before we soaked the marking dye off.

Soaking in Saline Solution.jpg

#39 of 49 Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 PM

Looks great! The soaking helps blood flow to the area and speeds healing. I can imagine how inconvenient it would be, however! I think a warm, clean cloth soaked in saline and held to the ear would work well, or just doing a full bath and laying with her head back under the water. I know some friends with piercings in hard to soak areas (like eyebrows) and they did the wet cloth method. I think keeping it warm and wet the whole time is the key, since you are trying to loosen any gunk that might form with the healing.

Hope she loves them and that they heal fast and clean.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#40 of 49 Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Both of her ears looked great this morning! One looked like she has had pierced ears forever and she said it doesn't feel like anything, even while I was (carefully) drying it after irrigating with warm saline.

The other had a tiny bit of blood on her ear lobe and a tiny bit of crustiness (so minute a Q-tip would have cleaned it all in one dab - nope, haven't used any cotton swabs or balls or pads with loose fibers). I irrigated with the saline first to see if it would loosen and come off. No luck, so we went with the soak (tall skinny glass this time) and it came off quickly and easily. She kept her ear in there for 2-3 minutes with zero issues, but she was nervous about the time.

We walk to school at 7:22 am, so time is of the essence in the morning. I plan to do soaks after school (2 pm) and before bed (8 pm). I was hoping a quicker saline irrigation (plastic squeeze bottle with cake decorating fine tip) in the mornings would be sufficient (7 am). We'll have to re-evaluate as we go along...

#41 of 49 Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 PM

I missed so much!  So glad it went well!  Yes, needle piercings are WAY different than gun piercings!  So happy she's doing so well.

#42 of 49 Old 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM

Very cute!

#43 of 49 Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Her ears look perfect! Like she has had her piercings for years, not days. She is so thrilled to have pierced ears!!!

Apparently, she has been educating her peers about needle piercings vs gun piercings, too. LOL She also polled her friends. Everyone who has pierced ears got them pierced via a gun. (They are only lobe piercings and everyone I know got their lobes pierced with guns, too.) However, several of them used saline soaks/irrigations instead of the commercially prepared stuff (aftercare pack at Claire's??) or hydrogen peroxide.

#44 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM

I know I'm a bit late to the game, but some states have extremely stringent guidelines on who's allowed to give piercings.  Also not all members of the AAP are piercers, yet still are members.  It's not a government-sactioned or sponsored organization, but rather one that is self-governed by a group of piercers that not all piercers acknowledge.  It can be hard for a lot of people to accept as the authority an organization started by a core group of individuals who decided to take charge and start up an organization that does make money.  A good friend of my husband's is a member, and he's only a member because the "find a member" search basically serves as a form of advertising, and so he gets clients he wouldn't otherwise get.  For California, the qualifications to be a member of the AAP are no more stringent than to be legally allowed to pierce ears at Claire's.  Regardless of where piercing is done, the government sets a minimum set of qualifications, and the AAP's are no higher, but its members can and do charge more for the privilege of of claiming membership.  My husband's friend charges $120 to pierce using the same disposable guns used at mall stores, and $150 to piece with needles.

Among all my friends, I've got the fewest piercings, 4.  Most of my friends consider it a serious art, and the only reason some of them go to pricier places is for the overall experience and because they regularly get tattoos done by the people who pierce ears, and so have the camaraderie with the one who will do the piercings (plus my husband's friend does it for friends at cost plus a six pack).  No one's got a problem with mall shops.

#45 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Glad she likes them. Personally I can't sleep in CBRs at all, my daughter got hers pierced with them because they do allow easier cleaning but she was over 18 anyway. I much much prefer sleeping in labrets, I wear the neometal threadless labrets all the time they are the most comfortable earrings I've ever had to sleep in.

#46 of 49 Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

My DD really wants purple hoops. I was quoted $105 for the piercing and earrings that night. The piercing is $25, so that leaves $80 on earrings. That is way too high for something she doesn't like or want. Sure, I can buy her purple hoops (captive bead rings) for after the 8 week period, but what about the $80 earrings??? Ugh.

The price for those earrings, even if they are anatometal anodized titanium is easily 4x what you can buy a pair for online. I have a whole assortment of their colored CBRs they retail online for 8 dollars a piece.

#47 of 49 Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Do you mind me asking how much the piercing did cost?  I was quoted about $50 for ear lobe piercing for my daughter and that was including the earrings.  I live in the midwest so things are cheaper here.

#48 of 49 Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

The piercing was $25 and earrings are additional at this place. The earrings she chose were $20 each plus tax (anodized titanium CBR), which is on the low end for this place. They only use titanium or LVM surgical grade stainless steel (internally threaded) with fresh piercings.

#49 of 49 Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Hi SunnySandiegan,

where did you get the piercing done?

Joy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page