Can I give adult probiotics to my toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking at getting Custom Probiotics to give my toddler. He's shown improvement on Udo's Choice, but the CP will be more cost effective, and be stronger.

I'm debating between the infant CP and the 11 strain. The 11 strain has 5 of the 7 strains that are in Udo's Choice, so I'm leaning toward that (since I know that something in Udo's Choice is helping him a lot). It comes with a child's scoop, so I assume that it's safe for kids? Even toddlers? (I would use the child's scoop, not the adult's). I did some researching, and 2 more of the strains in it have been specifically used in testing probiotics on kids.

Can the wrong strains do any harm to toddlers?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 8 Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post

I'm looking at getting Custom Probiotics to give my toddler. He's shown improvement on Udo's Choice, but the CP will be more cost effective, and be stronger.

I'm debating between the infant CP and the 11 strain. The 11 strain has 5 of the 7 strains that are in Udo's Choice, so I'm leaning toward that (since I know that something in Udo's Choice is helping him a lot). It comes with a child's scoop, so I assume that it's safe for kids? Even toddlers? (I would use the child's scoop, not the adult's). I did some researching, and 2 more of the strains in it have been specifically used in testing probiotics on kids.

Can the wrong strains do any harm to toddlers?

I just talked to Harry at CP today.  I was wondering if I was going to need to get the infant one for my almost 3 year old, and then get something different for my almost 11 year old daughter and myself.  After we talked about my family's issues, he recommended the 6 strain (using different amounts for each person) for all of us.  So I ordered some today.   

I'm not seeing an 11 strain version of CP.....headscratch.gif

I don't really have any idea if any of the strains in the 6 strains would be bad for my toddler.  I sure hope not.....How's that for thorough researching.....blush.gif

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#3 of 8 Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

They recommended the 6 strain for us too, but it only has 2 of the 7 strains that are in Udo's Choice (which i know has helped ds2). And yes, like you, I wanted to be able to use the same bottle for me, my 6yo, and my toddler :)

The 11 strain is here: http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-11-strain.htm

It has more of the strains that I see recommended for babies/toddlers. Hmmm...

#4 of 8 Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Well, crappity crap!  How'd I miss that one?  Oh well, guess I'm gonna find out what the 6 strain does (but it couldn't be worse that what we've got going on before we start them).

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#5 of 8 Old 03-11-2011, 04:56 AM

yes, the child scoop is fine for toddlers.  I used it on my infant as well.

#6 of 8 Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Just want to clarify- all of the strains in the 11 strain are ok for toddlers? I should probably email CP and ask them, but I feel wierd asking about something other than he recommended, kwim?

#7 of 8 Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM

The biggest issue is in exclusively bf infants - their gut bacteria is bifidus dominant. After the time of feeding other food, their are no inherently bad strains. There may be strains that give a certain person issues, but that is more personal than age. For example, strep strains seem to cause problems in people with chronic strep issues like PANDAS.           

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#8 of 8 Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Hi! I just wanted to share that we went through something similar with our son when he was about two. We had heard how great probiotics were for eczema and we were wanting to give him one and thankfully we found one that is great for the little ones. He started taking Belly Boost chewables and within a short amount of time he was so much better. They even helped him so much with his food intolerances. I can't speak for other people or companies, but I can say that this one is made for kids and our son loves it - and it HELPED! Hope this helps!! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page