I think my newborn caught my upper respiratory infection :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 12 day old and about 5 days ago I caught an upper respiratory infection (hacking cough, nasty yellow discharge, slight fever) from my other two children..

I noticed a few days ago that my newborn was sneezing.. well now it has turned into a runny nose - that is mostly clear but sometimes light yellow.

Any advice on how to keep his airways open? Here is what I am doing so far: I have propped his cosleeper up a little so it is at an incline, I am doing saline drops before I use the bulb to suck his nose out ( I do this right before we nurse). I also have a cool mist humidifier running near the co-sleeper.

I am just so worried about him, he is so very tiny!  and I know his airway passages have to be even smaller.

Thanks so much girls!!!

Angie - mom to Allie 12/01, Ephram 07/09  and Asher 3/1/11
#2 of 3 Old 08-05-2012, 04:20 PM

How did ur little one go with their chest infection? My 10 week old twins have one now too. Im really worried about their breathing too. I also use saline and a bulb sucker. Any other suggestion now that u have dealt with it? Thank u
#3 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my!! That was the single most stressful time in my life.

Things that helped:

I kept baby elevated  - I bought one of those nap nanny things - so he would be at an incline, I also tried the swing, but he hated that. Plus being so little he was swaddled. I let him sleep on my chest a ton. 

When he started sounding raspy/snotty, I would do 2 drops of saline in his nose... then suck. I read that sucking w/out the saline just inflames the tissue even more. I also ready not to suck if you don't see anything.

He never had more than a little fever, which was great.  He dropped off on his eating. I took him into the pediatrician to get things checked - because I was having to pump to relieve the pressure of what he wouldn't eat... so I knew he was just feeling gross.

She said he was fine and told me to count wet diapers and if it dropped off in the next few days to come back in. He had also vomited a couple times - all of it was mostly green (snot) she said if it was any other color besides milk looking, snot, to come back in. 

He still wasn't eating well so we went in and had them basically suck out the snot in his throat - the cold wasn't in his lungs. But there was enough goo down in his throat - basically it is a neti pot for your throat, the Dr. did this - it was horrific. I knew it was only saline solution.. but he screamed the entire time. I knew he needed it. That seemed to help him a ton! 

It took a good two weeks to get over the cold. 

I also put Vick's on my breast when he nursed - not right beside him, but near him so he could breath in the Vick's but, not get a strong dose of it. 

Warm mist showers.

Make sure you stay hydrated, have some extra help.  That really was one of the most stressful times. Sick newborns are the worst. 

But he was tiny, and did fine!!

Good luck!

Angie - mom to Allie 12/01, Ephram 07/09  and Asher 3/1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page