West Coast? Iodine & Fallout Information - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 311 Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So that people don't panic, that's is the point.  I'm afraid the system in place is not particularly concerned with the rights or concerns of the public.  The people making (controlling) the laws are the same people who have lots and lots of capital tied up in non-renewable, dangerous and dirty energy sources.  It does not serve their interest to give citizens accurate and reasonable information.  This is the way capitalism works.  We supposedly all agreed to it, more or less.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 311 Old 04-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Well, what is there to do, really? Can anything really be done? Why panic if nothing can be done? People panicking do dumb things that end up causing more harm. At this point this is our new reality. Nothing we can do to hasten the decay or even escape from it.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#303 of 311 Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

It is true. I have worked hard this week to come to a place of acceptance (I feel like I've hit all the stages of grief, and I still go back and forth between them).

One thing we can do is speak out loudly and clearly to try to prevent this from happening here.

http://www.change.org/petitions/urge-the-obamas-to-build-a-nuclear-free-future-for-our-children-now#?opt_new=f&opt_fb=t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

Well, what is there to do, really? Can anything really be done? Why panic if nothing can be done? People panicking do dumb things that end up causing more harm. At this point this is our new reality. Nothing we can do to hasten the decay or even escape from it.

Ami

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#304 of 311 Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Here is a bit of good news, at least:

Leakage of Highly Contaminated Water into Sea

According to Japanese authorities, the leak of highly contaminated water from the cable storage pit located next to the Unit 2 inlet point at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has stopped as of 20:38 UTC on 5 April.

From: http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

Hopefully, there are no other leaks to the sea.

I have been checking the above site every day for detailed updates on what they are doing to try and fix this mess.

#305 of 311 Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

It means that after 8 days the isotope will still hold 1/2 its initial radioactivity.  Another 8 days will half the remaining amount and so on.  It takes much longer than 8 days to decay, as the pp mentioned.  

did anyone suggest that an 8 day half-life would remove all radioactivity?

half-life means that half of the amount in the sample has decayed into something else that is not the same isotope. so, an isotope doesn't hold partial radioactivity, it is radioactive based on its particle make-up. the number of isotopes with a radioactive make-up will be diminished by half.

it sounded like the pp thought that the half-life of an element would change based on some condition, so i wanted to clarify what they thought before i responded.

ah! have to go, kids need me.... just wanted to clarify.

eh. who needs a signature?
#306 of 311 Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Yes, you are right about the wording.  The 'sample' will contain half its radioactivity, not the isotope.  It means the same thing though as far as radioactive output and effects on living organisms.

#307 of 311 Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 AM

Does anyone know if there is a source for information regarding WA state similar to UC Berkeley?

#308 of 311 Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkymaid View Post

Does anyone know if there is a source for information regarding WA state similar to UC Berkeley?

more data here

http://opendata.socrata.com/Government/RadNet-Laboratory-Analysis/cf4r-dfwe

#309 of 311 Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

Ami

I totally agree. I spent two weeks in utter fear and sadness, and then I realized that this is our new reality. Perfect wording JTA Mom. 

I have been hiking all weekend, we bought food from the farmer's market, and we spent the day in San Francisco. I cannot imagine feeling anything but blessed for being able to do these wonderful things. Blessed to have another beautiful weekend with my family. I am checking out of this thread now because it feels as though we are just passing our fear back and forth. Honestly, the stress and worry may be more detrimental at this point. To all of us, and our children. Now, we must use our tools and the ability to research and protect ourselves. 

Blessings and safety to you all.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#310 of 311 Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM

I have come to a place of peace as well, but I still feel it is prudent to take the measures I can to lessen exposure.  I'm not going to hide out in my house, but there's no way my family will be consuming dairy products right now, and we will steer clear of leafy greens for a while.  The levels of radiation in milk exceed EPA limits at this time.  I'm also not having the kids playing outside in the rain temporarily.  The amount of radiation in the rain presently is way way high.  I cannot conscientiously have my kids being drenched in rain that is many thousands of times above EPA limits for drinking water.  Especially since the EPA's idea of safe and my idea of safe do not correlate at all (on many issues, not just this one).  We'll keep taking iodine and other supplements.  Brownstein's blog has good info about measures to take right now and I'm a bit unsure why everyone isn't supplementing with iodine at this point.  It seems unwise not to help ourselves become iodine-sufficient at a time when we being showered with very large amounts of radioactive iodine nearly every day.   A non-profit in France has recommended pregnant women and babies not consume fresh milk or leafy greens for now (and the levels there are 8-10x lower than they are here).  The Japanese gov't has finally admitted that this event qualifies as a level 7 accident and have upgraded the severity of the disaster. 

http://www.euractiv.com/en/health/radiation-risks-fukushima-longer-negligible-news-503947

http://www.naturalnews.com/032048_radiation_milk.html

#311 of 311 Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM

I don't have much time to spend here lately (this new format takes much too long for me to want to use it often) but I have some links that may be of interest. I've learned so much here & want to pass on what I've come across in case its new to anyone else..

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2011/04/07/radioactive-rainwater-saint-louis-missouri-geiger-counter-nuts-14994/

http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/?p=8838

http://www.naturalnews.com/032050_radioactive_food_nuclear_radiation.html

http://www.naturodoc.com/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Tags
Organic Grace

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page