West Coast? Iodine & Fallout Information - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/03/12/japans-radiation-exposure-how-serious-is-it/

this article talk about the different types of radiation that will possibly be released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just read this in the San Jose Mercury:

Meanwhile, state health officials said Monday that they haven't checked radiation monitors around the state for any rise in levels.

"We're not being told there's any reason to check the monitors," said Michael Sicilia, spokesman for California Department of Public Health. "We generally pull them once a month. If we're told by the feds we need to test them, we'll test them."

Shouldn't they be checking this?! wth?

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_17613753

Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

There is the Sierra Nevada mountains and the state of Nevada between California and Utah. However, there are lots reasons to move from Utah to Florida. :D

Ok, haven't read the rest of the thread but this made me laugh out loud.  Thank you :D  I feel the same!!  I don't think that there will be much damage to Utah, given the mountains and the extreme distance from Japan, but an excuse to move to Florida?  Or anywhere?  It was such a cold, cold winter for me here...

I have to wonder, though...what they're saying is more of "at this point" there will be no damage or whatever.  But the what-if is more of what I'm concerned about right now - and they aren't saying anything about that really.  I know they don't want to induce panic, but thanks to the internet we are all much more informed than we were during Chernobyl.  We are making our own decisions instead of waiting for a government authority to tell us anything - which by then it would be too late.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

This was posted for public use by one of the most well known and respected naturopaths in my city, Robin E Moore ND. I hope it is okay to share here.

Prevention Measures for

Radiation Exposure

In response to the recent damage to the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan, I have written this hand-out to review methods to decrease health problems from radiation exposure. Thus far there hasnot been a large release of radiation because the radioactive fuel rods have not melted down enough to melt the containment housing of the reactor. There have been low levels of radioactive gas released, but these are not apt to have international effects. However, in case a meltdown disaster does occur, you will have information to help minimize the effects on your health. How long to take these supplements is discussed later, but do not take them for more than a month without reviewing with your physician if they are safe for you. Also, if you take any prescription medications, interactions with these supplements must be checked.

Iodine: Radioactive iodine is released from power plant meltdowns. It then lands in your thyroid gland because your thyroid uses iodine to function. The radiation increases your chances of developing thyroid cancer and growths years later. (Other glands also use iodine such as your adrenals, but to a much lesser degree.) To prevent this, take oral, over the counter iodine. This will fill most of the iodine receptor (landing sites) in your thyroid gland which will prevent the radioactive version of iodine from attaching to your thyroid gland. If there is nowhere to land, the radioactive iodine will move on and do minimal or no damage.

Dose: there is no precise way to know what dose will saturate the iodine receptor sites in your body. Please note that the RDA dose of 150mcg is not intended to saturate your thyroid so we will aim for 1,000mcg/day. You can buy this at most health food stores. Do not take iodine if you are allergic to itor have hyperthyroid. (not the more common hypothyroid, which is ok)

Anti-oxidants: Most of the damage from radiation is from oxidative damage which can lead to cancers, tumors, and dysfunction of the affected organ. Therefore, the best preventive measure is to increase anti-oxidants or “free radical scavengers”. Fortunately, there are many strong anti-oxidants available to you via both food and supplements. Those mentioned here are just a few examples of good anti-oxidants. Many of you will know of other examples. You do not need to take all of the following supplements. Pick half of them until the radiation exposure has cleared.

1. Beta carotene- 25,000 IU/day.

2. Vitamin C- 1,000mg 2 x day.(If diarrhea, decrease dose to 500 2xday)

3. Vitamin E-1,000 IU /day.

4. B-complex- such as is in a multiple. Aim for about 10mg 2 x day with food. (Brewer’s yeast ½ oz 2xday) B-vitamins are not anti-oxidants, but they help the other nutrients do their jobs.

5. Selenium- 400mcg per day.

6. Glutathione-1,000mg 2 x day preferably away from meals ie ½ hr before or 1 ½ hr after meals. (It’s ok, but less effective with meals.)

7. Cysteine- 500mg 2 x day.

8. Ginseng (either the Siberian or American type)-one capsule (1/4tsp)

2 x day. Higher doses may be too stimulating for some people.

9. Berries of dark color are also good anti-oxidants.

Doses for children: The doses given above are for adults. None of the items are contraindicated for children, especially when taken for a limited time. Decrease the dose according to their weight. Calculate what % of

120 lbs your child’s weight is and use that % of the above doses. For example, if your child weighs close to 60 lb, this is 50% of 120 so use 50% of the doses.

When to start and stop this treatment: Start as soon as we hear that the reactor has released a lot of radiation. If this happens, the radiation will not reach us for a day or two (watch the news) so you will have time to start.

Continue taking the supplements until we hear that the radiation exposure has diminished to a safe level. I do not know who to trust for this information so use your own judgment.

Contraindications: Do not take any of the above supplements if you are allergic to them or anything related to them. Read the labels for any of your allergens, if you have any. In particular, iodine can be allergenic so do not take it if you have reacted to iodine dyes or other sources of iodine. You would usually already know if you have an iodine allergy. As already mentioned, if you have an overactive thyroid, do not take iodine.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM

OMG! That is horrifying Pepper! They most definitely should be checking. This is the untrustworthy stuff.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Thank you for the article by Robin Moore.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourmama View Post

OMG! That is horrifying Pepper! They most definitely should be checking. This is the untrustworthy stuff.

Yeah, I think they should be checking daily at this point just to keep on top of it and even if there is a slight rise we should be alerted. I can only imagine they are trying to avoid a full-scale panic, though. I'm sure they are well aware of the huge buyouts of potassium iodide and that people are already panicking to some degree...

It's a shame we can't trust our own government to tell us the truth.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

Yeah, I think they should be checking daily at this point just to keep on top of it and even if there is a slight rise we should be alerted. I can only imagine they are trying to avoid a full-scale panic, though. I'm sure they are well aware of the huge buyouts of potassium iodide and that people are already panicking to some degree...

I would imagine it's a question of money, not deliberate obfuscation. It costs $ to check these things more often and $ is something California is sorely lacking right now. I suspect they will be checking them once enough time has elapsed that radioactive particles might conceivably have traveled this far. To check them sooner is actually rather irresponsible.

Look, honestly when the news first broke that California might experience fallout I freaked out too, but since reading as much as I can find about the type of reactors and the way radiation travels I am much less concerned now. The hysterical nature of this conversation here has really put me off too. If anything I think our energy and money is better spent gathering resources to send to Japan because they are the ones directly in the line of fire not us. Not us. Pray for the babies and kids there because they probably don't have access to food and water much less iodine.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:01 PM

I called a compounding pharmacy here and they only sell lugol's with a prescription, which I don't have. However, they carry Iodoral (sp?) OTC and they have several bottles in stock. Is this good?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM

There are many whole food alternatives with radioactivity protective benefits.

More about iodine/iodide supplementation.

More radioprotective agents from GreenMedInfo.com (in order of study quality)

Holy Basil
Echinacea
Curcumin
Catechin
Melatonin
...Resveratrol
Cocoa
Mung Bean
Vitamin E
Woad
Bee Propolis
Fucoidan
Acetyl-l-carnitine
Angelica
Apricot
Ayurvedic formulation: Liv 52
Beta-glucan
Broccoli
Chrysin
Citrus naringin
Gotu Kola
Hesperidin
NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine)
Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5)
Pine Bark Extract
Rosemary
Rubia Cordifolia
Sprouts
Sulforaphane
caffeic acid
Cherry: All Varieties
Copper
Ginger
Mangiferin
Probiotics
Sesame Seeds
Sodium Bicarbonate
Carotenoids
Eugenol
Gentian
Ginseng (American)
Glutamine
Lycopene
Quercetin
Rutin
Spirulina
Tocotrienol: Delta
Bixin
Chlorogenic acid
Ellagic Acid
Turmeric
beta-Carotene

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/pharmacological-action/radioprotective

crubbing with soap and water
Miso
Seaweed
beta carotene
Rosemary
Eat whole grains, avoid fatty foods as they store radiation (it seems)
sodium alginate (from seaweed)
green leafy vegetables
Pectin
Edible Clay
Sea Salt and Baking Soda
Chlorophyll
Alfalfa
Chlorella
Vitamin E
Onions
Olive Oil
Macrobiotic Diet
sodium bicarbonate
Red wine & Resveratrol
Potassium blocks the uptake of of C-137
phytates
Brown rice
Rosemary
Calcium
Iron
magnesium, zinc, selenium, and vitamins A & C
* Miso soup
* Spirulina, chlorella and the algaes (kelp, etc.)
* Brassica vegetables and high beta carotene vegetables
* Beans and lentils
* Potassium, calcium and mineral rich foods
* High nucleotide content foods to assist in cellular repair including spirulina, chlorella, algae, yeast, sardines, liver, anchovies and mackerel
* Cod liver oil and olive oil
* Avoid sugars and sweets and wheat
Bee pollen
Edible yeast
Lecithin
Ginseng
Eleuthero
Aloe
Vit A, B-complex, E
***Calcium significantly decreases the amount of Strontium 90 absorbed by bone.
***Fermented Foods!
1. Calcium/magnesium
2. Vitamin A or beta carotene
3. Coenzyme Q10
4. Vitamin C + bioflavinoids and rutin
5. Vitamin E
6. Zinc
7. Selenium
8. Proanthocyanadins (Grape seed extract/Pycnogenol)
9. DHEA
10. Melatonin.
Sesame seeds
Essential fatty acids, GLA and EPA
Pau d’arco (caution with candida/mercury issues)
2. SAFFRON TEA.
3. THYME TEA.
4. BLACK TEA and HONEY.
homeopathic:
-Cadmium iodide
-Cadmium-sulph
-Phosphorus
-Strontium-carbonicum
-X-ray
Cordyceps
Spirulina

(references in second link)

Mothering article about iodine.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 PM

This should calm some of you:

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

Although I understand and mostly agree with what you're saying, Chamomile Girl, you cannot fault people for being concerned for their families first. I think everyone has Chornobyl very heavy on their minds these days, and how the fallout from that disaster was all over Europe within days.

Yes, of course Japan should be the highest priority. However, I think just like any situation which is a potential emergency, everyone would like to get their own oxygen masks on before assisting their seatmates.

For me the above link, along with some general disaster preparedness, has helped to put me in a place where I can feel safe to do so. Hopefully, the same will be true for others.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes, Iodoral is good.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

I would imagine it's a question of money, not deliberate obfuscation. It costs $ to check these things more often and $ is something California is sorely lacking right now. I suspect they will be checking them once enough time has elapsed that radioactive particles might conceivably have traveled this far. To check them sooner is actually rather irresponsible.

Look, honestly when the news first broke that California might experience fallout I freaked out too, but since reading as much as I can find about the type of reactors and the way radiation travels I am much less concerned now. The hysterical nature of this conversation here has really put me off too. If anything I think our energy and money is better spent gathering resources to send to Japan because they are the ones directly in the line of fire not us. Not us. Pray for the babies and kids there because they probably don't have access to food and water much less iodine.

This conversation is far from hysterical. I think it's turning into a great resource for what all our options are--I'm learning quite a bit!

I've donated money to Japan and I've prayed for those suffering right now--for days I've been doing this. Nothing wrong with trying to protect my family from any amount of radiation that may or may not be coming our way by researching all options extensively.

I appreciate all the links to alternate protection through herbs, foods, supplements, etc.

I wonder how much money it costs to check radiation particles in the air or water??

Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Chamomile Girl great post.  But I can't argue with the oxygen mask analogy. 

One major, huge difference between the reactors in Japan versus the one at Chernobyl was the ones in Japan actually have containment vessels.  Believe it or not, the Chernobyl reactor was not inside the steel and concrete containment vessels that Japan (and the US) uses. That's why Chernobyl exploded into a super heated mess, spewing large amounts of radioactive material into the upper atmosphere that spread across Europe. 

That same disaster is extremely unlikely to happen in the Japanese plants. Because of the containment vessels they've had much more time to stem and minimize the damage. However, what can happen if there is a complete melt down is that the radioactive mess at the bottom will simply burn completely through into the earth below, which could possibly contaminate the ground water.  Also not good. 

I don't say this to dismiss anyone's feelings, only to promote accuracy.

I've been listening carefully to a lot of discussion on the news today.  I'd still like to know what we in the western United States could expect if Japan experienced a worse case scenario. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM

Chamomile Girl, I respect what you are saying, and quite honestly I have had to come to terms with the fact that I am NOT in Japan. I cannot be there to help them. I can only do what is possible financially. They have my prayers. Their mothers and children. Please don't accuse those of us worried about our own families as a displacement of energy.

But, I am in California. The Bay Area, as are you right? Well then potentially our children are in danger. It is not a question anymore if their will be a nuclear disaster, the fact is it is a disaster. I apologize if this conversation has put you off, but I am trying to get answers as to how this will affect my 8 mth old. My first priority. 

I believe this thread is started on behalf of those looking for answers and support here along the west coast.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM

After talking to my holistic MD, we started supplemental iodine today to begin boosting levels.  He agrees with Brownstein, that this much won't hurt us and will give us a head-start if we need to take stronger dosages in the next few days.  So right now we're taking 13mg for adults, 6mg for my 6 year-old and 3mg for my 2 year-old.  

I live in the same city as the ND cited above who kindly distributed a plan of action and supplemental measures.  I think it is great for now, but if fallout does reach here, any microgram dose of iodine is not going to be enough.  If and when I feel things are more urgent, I will up the dosages accordingly.  At that time I would also seriously consider heading east.

I think that starting the emergency prophylactic dose of 60-130 mg at this time is definitely NOT a good idea.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

This should calm some of you:

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

Although I understand and mostly agree with what you're saying, Chamomile Girl, you cannot fault people for being concerned for their families first. I think everyone has Chornobyl very heavy on their minds these days, and how the fallout from that disaster was all over Europe within days.

Yes, of course Japan should be the highest priority. However, I think just like any situation which is a potential emergency, everyone would like to get their own oxygen masks on before assisting their seatmates.

For me the above link, along with some general disaster preparedness, has helped to put me in a place where I can feel safe to do so. Hopefully, the same will be true for others.

yeahthat.gif

Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We are taking a whole foods approach. Lots of greens, lots of curries, and kelp tablets. The key is to nourish your body so it can repair damaged DNA. I am not worried in the least bit. I mean there is not much else I can do but this. Its not like we can hop a plane to avoid it. I have been watching the jet stream forcast. http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag192.html So far it looks like my area will only catch a little bit of the jetstream. That can change though, so its good to prepare your body.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Here is some info and possible sources of iodine:

http://www.naturalnews.com/031708_iodine_radiation.html

We're not on the West Coast, but we bought some nascent iodine just for peace of mind.

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

I called a compounding pharmacy here and they only sell lugol's with a prescription, which I don't have. However, they carry Iodoral (sp?) OTC and they have several bottles in stock. Is this good?

Yes, Iodoral is good - it' s basically Lugol's in tablet form. And you shouldn't need a script for it.

You can order it online if your HFS is out. They still had some at Amazon yesterday but it's going fast.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:47 PM

A whole foods approach is excellent at this time.  We are using lots of supplemental measures as well.  Again though, if any significant fallout lands here, kelp tablets won't provide enough iodine to block out radioactive iodine in the environment.  No amount of whole foods nourishment can compete with the completely unnatural form of radioactivity that is released from nuclear fission.  Our planet did not evolve along those lines.  

Thank you for the jet stream link!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM

On the note of whole foods/healthy eating to prepare for/counteract radiation (or, for that matter, EMFs...)  what are you making for dinner tonight?  I'm thinking of cabbage salad, artichokes, trying to figure out how to lace food with kelp powder :).  Would love to hear your ideas/recipes! 

Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

No amount of whole foods nourishment can compete with the completely unnatural form of radioactivity that is released from nuclear fission.  Our planet did not evolve along those lines.  

The Oklo reactor seems to have been plenty natural.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I'm wondering (Pat... whistling.gif), are we going to have to worry about contaminated seaweed and fish if this gets worse? I mean, I know it's always a concern but will it be more so? Anything high in iodine will be prime for contamination, right? Or am I thinking about this all wrong? Will we need to be careful about where we get out bones for bone broth, especially due to the long half-life of strontium-90, which has a propensity to get stored in the bones.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I dont believe North America will get it as bad as surrounding Chernobyl. It has to cross an entire ocean before it gets here, and getting more and more dilute with time. The distance does provide some buffer. If you were close, like in Japan for instance, you would take large amounts of potassium iodide. I am not comfortable doing this as its just a guessing game right now and you could do more harm than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

A whole foods approach is excellent at this time.  We are using lots of supplemental measures as well.  Again though, if any significant fallout lands here, kelp tablets won't provide enough iodine to block out radioactive iodine in the environment.  No amount of whole foods nourishment can compete with the completely unnatural form of radioactivity that is released from nuclear fission.  Our planet did not evolve along those lines.  

Thank you for the jet stream link!

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Adequate Calcium levels keep about 80% (iirc) of the strontium-90 from being absorbed into bone tissue. [Farmer's could feed calcium to their animals, for instance.]  But, animal (& human) milk is the highest source of radioactivity exposure. So, yes, potentially, bones from an area highly contaminated by radioactive fallout could be an issue if making bone broth. We choose local, 100% grass-fed beef bones and organic chicken bones. [There are alternative sources of minerals, of course.]

For perspective: "In the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, radioactive material from a raging fire spread across much of Europe and was detected on the clothing of Swedish workers, which first alerted the world to the disaster that Soviet authorities tried to keep quiet.

That calamity, the world's worst nuclear disaster, resulted in the deaths of 32 workers who tried to put out the fire at the Ukrainian plant. A 20-year study released last year by the U.N. Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation found that there were about 6,000 cases of thyroid cancer in children from Ukraine and Belarus who drank milk with elevated levels of radioactive iodine from cows in the area. Treated correctly, thyroid cancer has a survival rate above 90 percent.

Radiation levels were not high enough to harm others in the former Soviet Union and Europe who lived in the area where the cesium-137, iodine-131 and other radioactive materials drifted for hundreds of miles, the study found."

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_17613753?source=most_emailed&nclick_check=1

Japan's Radiation Exposure: How Serious Is It?: http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/03/12/japans-radiation-exposure-how-serious-is-it/

"National Radiation Map, depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute. This is the first web site where the average citizen (or anyone in the world) can see what radiation levels are anywhere in the USA at any time." http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

"Organic" sea vegetables have restrictions on proximity to pollutants such as industrial or metropolitan run off.  Additionally, one can purchase "heavy metal tested" kelp, for instance. We buy it at Vitacost.com

Fish bones, in sardines for instance, might be an interesting thing to examine.  I do not know if larger fish or fattier fish would absorb more radioactivity.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post

The Oklo reactor seems to have been plenty natural.

Yes, 2 billion years ago. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post

I dont believe North America will get it as bad as surrounding Chernobyl. It has to cross an entire ocean before it gets here, and getting more and more dilute with time. The distance does provide some buffer. If you were close, like in Japan for instance, you would take large amounts of potassium iodide. I am not comfortable doing this as its just a guessing game right now and you could do more harm than good.

Yes, as distance from radiation decreases its impact exponentially, living within 20 miles of a damaged nuclear plant (we live within 20 miles of TWO nuclear power plants in Charlotte, NC), is WAY different than living  5133 miles from Japan, in California.

"DISTANCE

Radiation exposure decreases rapidly as the distance between the worker and the radiation source increases. Maximizing distance represents one the simplest and most effective methods for reducing radiation exposure to workers. For example, distance can be maximized by using long handled tools to keep radioactive materials well away from the body and storing radioactive materials as far from workers as possible.

The decrease in exposure from a point source of x or gamma radiation can be calculated by using the inverse square law. This law states that the amount of radiation at a given distance from a point source varies inversely with the square of the distance. For example, doubling the distance from a radiation source will reduce the dose to one-fourth of its original value, and increasing the distance by a factor of three will reduce the dose to one-ninth of its original value. For example, if the dose rate at one foot from a source is 20 mR/hr, then the dose rate at two feet (twice the distance) will be 5 mR/hr."

Time and shielding are huge variables too. That is why people within the 20 miles of the nuclear plants are being advised to spend less time outside and to remain inside currently.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 PM

I am absolutely NOT advocating the use of a full dose of prophylactic KI.  But I seem to be missing something here, because in the Iodine thread here on MDC and in Brownstein's research and according to all my health care people, the amount we are now taking is completely safe to take on a daily basis and is probably very close to what we would need anyway to be fully nutritionally sufficient in iodine.  It is the same amount (13mg for an adult) that Japanese women consume daily.  

Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Thank you for the link, WuWei!!

"National Radiation Map, depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute. This is the first web site where the average citizen (or anyone in the world) can see what radiation levels are anywhere in the USA at any time." http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

I had no idea we could track the levels. I will be monitoring that closely over the next week.

Tags
Organic Grace
User Tag List