West Coast? Iodine & Fallout Information - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mmmmochi - our prayers go out to your family and to all the people in Japan. If there is a way we can help you, if packages begin to get through, please just ask. I so badly want to send whatever would help ease your hardships (and in the meantime I have donated to Red Cross and continue to ask others to do the same). Including our Potassium Iodide, which I think is needed much more there than here. But we did not know that when we began this thread. We have all learned a lot this week. We are concerned and trying our best to take precautions for our families, but our hearts are devastated over yours.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Here is what our family is doing today: we woke up to smoothies with kelp powder (soon to be added, bee pollen, blue green algae, reishi mushroom), munching seaweed snacks all day, filling every available water storage with our clean spring water, stocking up on bulk foods, and sealing our greenhouse up better so we can grow food this year that is less contaminated. i also cleaned out ...the chicken coop as i may not want to be outside next week. we are not: taking potassium iodide or fleeing california (just yet) The levels are still low even though the first cloud has hit southern california. there is still no way to project what we might be hit with. when the "authorities" tell us the levels will be extremely small and have no health effects, I just do not trust them. They are still saying the only radiation released from 3 Mile Island was equivelent to a chest x-ray and no one died. Lots of people died. Every other house in the town close by had cancer. Babies and animals were born mutated. until they tell us the truth about the past how can we trust them in the present.

Also! Since California is now detecting small levels of radiation in the air, my child will not be going outside and we will keep our outdoor exposure to a minimum.....

I just read our president, who claims there will be no harmful radiation coming our way, is packing up his family and heading to south america. how convenient for him!

And because I have not seen this yet in our thread - for the price of a few lattes we can help!

Visit Redcross.org or text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 from your phone.OR because we are all moms here:

UNICEF is also coordinating efforts to help the children of Japan. Use this form on UNICEF's website to donate 100 percent of your desired amount to their fund designated for victims of the earthquake or text JAPAN to 864233 to donate $10.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#153 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm in Sacramento.  I picked my sixth grade son up from school today just as it started to rain and he said, 'What took you so long! I don't want to stand out here in this radiation contaminated rain any longer than I have to!'  Oy.  His teacher had shared with the class the news about the detectable radiation.  Understand that ds loves to tease me and be cheeky, and he was smiling when he said it.  I'm still not worried, but I'm sad and concerned and vigilant. Constant vigilance!  orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

Somehow it seems less "scary" to me to say that it was the measurable particles emitting radiation rather than (equally) measurable radiation.

I know it's silly but struth.

Not silly at all!

#154 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 04:57 PM

So, if we are now getting detectable levels of radiation, what will we get in the next few days since the release from the later explosions probably hasn't arrived yet?  What might we expect in the event of a full meltdown?  Because the authorities keep saying that we will only see miniscule levels even if the worst happens, but we are seeing them now and basically its just a small plume so far.  The logic just doesn't add up...

#155 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

So, if we are now getting detectable levels of radiation, what will we get in the next few days since the release from the later explosions probably hasn't arrived yet?  What might we expect in the event of a full meltdown?  Because the authorities keep saying that we will only see miniscule levels even if the worst happens, but we are seeing them now and basically its just a small plume so far.  The logic just doesn't add up...

Its very easy to detect radiation, even miniscule amounts. The amounts hitting the coast are very very small. When the explosions occurred, not that much radiation was released even then. When those winds arrive at the coast, it will still be a very very small amount - much less than being outside in the sun on a perfectly sunny day. In the event of a complete meltdown, in the worst case scenario (all reactors and all spent fuel pools blow - which is rather unlikely) although the amount of radiation released will be 5-6x chernobyl, and that small area of Japan will be unliveable for hundreds of years, deaths are only expected to be about 30,000 and localized to northern Japan due to the nature of that radiation released and the way it travels. Its NOT Chernobyl. Reactors have come a long way since Chernobyl. Even in the worst case scenario there is no way a significant amount of radiation will reach the West Coast.

The logic does add up. Because extremely extremely tiny plus extremely extremely tiny still equals extremely tiny.

savithny likes this.
#156 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Thank you to the few who are caring and supportive.

I wont be posting here again.

#157 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nevermind.  I have a feeling what I wrote broke the UA.

#158 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I trust that we are safe.  My son and I are driving to the West Coast in 2 weeks for a 6 week visit.  Additionally, we live within 20 miles of TWO nuclear power plants in Charlotte, NC.  I do not choose to live in fear.

The tragedy in Japan is devastating.  I hope that the information shared will be of benefit.

Pat

I have a blog.
#159 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

they have not told us the true extent of what is going on over there. for a better picture read this article. most of the european countries agree we are headed for full nuclear meltdown, and the amount of fuel stored there is many many times what was at chernobyl. they keep touting the difference being the containment - but the containment is blown in several reactors and they are just spewing radiation. unless they can get the cooling system back online, there is very little hope...

http://www.nuclearfreeplanet.org/articles/nuclear-apocalypse-in-japan.html

#160 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post

Nevermind.  I have a feeling what I wrote broke the UA.

I hadn't realized that I was being insensitive to the Japanese people, who have suffered one trauma after another in these unbearable assaults upon their homeland.

I was merely responding to the Americans who are so panicked about the impossible chance of radioactivity getting into them that they are sucking up the world's supply of potassium iodide, driving prices up to incredible amounts, and reducing the availability of iodide for the people who may actually need it.

There is really, really nothing to worry about for any of us on the West Coast. Our focus would be better put on how to help those who really do need our help.

journeymom and savithny like this.
#161 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

I am very, very sorry that you are suffering. I am very, very sorry that your children are suffering, that those affected by the earthquake and tsunami are suffering. It is horrible.

However, that does not give you a free pass to take out your frustration on other people. No one said who cares about those children. No one. And to imply otherwise is, imo, unjustified. It is NOT inhumane to tell a bunch of people who 5000 MILES away who are panicking to stop panicking. Huge doses of iodine are not benign either.

And no where on this thread did ANYONE indicate that they don't give a damn about children outside the US. NO ONE.

I am sorry you are stuck there, I am sorry you have no way out. It is no one's fault that this happened. In a perfect world, we would be able to get you & everyone else out of there a few days ago. However, we are just single women on the internet, spread far apart. Taking out your rage (and rightfully so, I would be enraged as well if I was in your position) on us, while giving you a place to vent it, is neither productive nor does it do any good.

Ami

I completely agree with this.

The thread was not started to talk about how much or how little those of us in the U.S. care about the situation in Japan.  It was merely about the West Coast and being concerned about radiation.

That doesn't mean that those who care about their own families are unconcerned about the welfare of those in Japan.  It's ridiculous to jump to that conclusion.  I see my friends posting on Facebook all the time about how worried they are about strangers across the world, and posting links on sites to donate to.  I don't know what the rest of the world's reaction was to 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, the 2004 tsunami, and the earthquakes in Haiti, Chile, and New Zealand, but I know many people who have donated their time and money to those causes, as have I.  It's not about keeping score.  

Suffering in other parts of the world has never affected how my #1 priority is my family, and never will.  I can be concerned about how a tragedy thousands of miles away might affect my family and still have empathy for those directly impacted by the tragedy.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#162 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post

I hadn't realized that I was being insensitive to the Japanese people, who have suffered one trauma after another in these unbearable assaults upon their homeland.

I was merely responding to the Americans who are so panicked about the impossible chance of radioactivity getting into them that they are sucking up the world's supply of potassium iodide, driving prices up to incredible amounts, and reducing the availability of iodide for the people who may actually need it.

There is really, really nothing to worry about for any of us on the West Coast. Our focus would be better put on how to help those who really do need our help.

i think the insensitive part was putting the word "only" in front of 30,000 dead people, some of may be mmmmochi and her children.bawling.gifor anyone really. 30,000 lives seems very significant to me.

i mean, what if it were you? what is someone was writing off your life and the lives of your family members as _only_ a couple of people that would be hurt. no big deal really.

eh. who needs a signature?
#163 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

I completely agree with this.

The thread was not started to talk about how much or how little those of us in the U.S. care about the situation in Japan.  It was merely about the West Coast and being concerned about radiation.

That doesn't mean that those who care about their own families are unconcerned about the welfare of those in Japan.  It's ridiculous to jump to that conclusion.  I see my friends posting on Facebook all the time about how worried they are about strangers across the world, and posting links on sites to donate to.  I don't know what the rest of the world's reaction was to 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, the 2004 tsunami, and the earthquakes in Haiti, Chile, and New Zealand, but I know many people who have donated their time and money to those causes, as have I.  It's not about keeping score.  

Suffering in other parts of the world has never affected how my #1 priority is my family, and never will.  I can be concerned about how a tragedy thousands of miles away might affect my family and still have empathy for those directly impacted by the tragedy.

but imagine experiencing the devastation and terror that she must be feeling being that close. to come onto a board and hear so many with so little risk and so much privilege discussing their own fears.

not that we all aren't allowed our own emotions, but wouldn't it seem a little bit upsetting to you? i can certainly understand where mmmmochi is coming from. if i were in her situation facing the future with my children that close, i'd be willing to do anything to trade _my_ risk for the risk of being on the west coast.

#164 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

but imagine experiencing the devastation and terror that she must be feeling being that close. to come onto a board and hear so many with so little risk and so much privilege discussing their own fears.

not that we all aren't allowed our own emotions, but wouldn't it seem a little bit upsetting to you? i can certainly understand where mmmmochi is coming from. if i were in her situation facing the future with my children that close, i'd be willing to do anything to trade _my_ risk for the risk of being on the west coast.

Of course I understand it, but the outrage seems misplaced to me, and insulting, frankly.  How can any of us know what it feels like to be victims of a catastrophic earthquake, devastating tsunami, and now a nuclear fallout?  How can any of us be expected to understand the emotions that go along with it?

And how would her comments come across to those who are currently homeless and have lost loved ones from this disaster?  Perhaps they would think that how dare she be worried about the welfare of her own family when so many are faced with more imminent threats than radiation.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#165 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post

I get what you were saying and it makes sense.  I just felt it could have been worded a little more sensitively.

I hadn't considered that buying potassium iodide would make it less available.  Like I said, I'm on the East Coast so have just been gleaning info for a friend.  I have always had the philosophy that I posted earlier of be prepared and be prepared to share so it never occurs to me to be concerned about making something less available for others.  It's something important to ponder as we do our best to help our own families but should also be mindful of how our actions are affecting others.  Thanks for the reminder.

Martha

#166 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Of course I understand it, but the outrage seems misplaced to me, and insulting, frankly.  How can any of us know what it feels like to be victims of a catastrophic earthquake, devastating tsunami, and now a nuclear fallout?  How can any of us be expected to understand the emotions that go along with it?

And how would her comments come across to those who are currently homeless and have lost loved ones from this disaster?  Perhaps they would think that how dare she be worried about the welfare of her own family when so many are faced with more imminent threats than radiation.

she has lost a family member.

interestingly enough, i think the reaction that she has received has been misplaced. i am always one to look on the bright side, and being reminded that there are so many that are in much more desperate situations reminds me to cling less to my own fears and to spread compassion.

anyway, my point isn't to compare worries, it's to realize that in the US we are all in a place of privilege and that those that don't have that privilege deserve some compassion, not an admonishment.

#167 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:

anyway, my point isn't to compare worries, it's to realize that in the US we are all in a place of privilege and that those that don't have that privilege deserve some compassion, not an admonishment.

No one here has admonished her except when it came to untrue statements. I don't like people telling me I obviously don't care about children outside the US or that I don't care about what is happening in Japan. First off, because it's not true. And second off,  while this is horriffic, it is not any less horrific than other disasters. It isn't healthy to go by the rule of not being able to discuss our fears because someone else out there has it worse. Haiti was just as horrific but due to different factors, for example.

I have the utmost compassion for her. I really, truly feel for her. While I have not been in that situation, I have been in others where my children's lives were in danger. That fear is a horrific thing to go through, especially when there wasn't anything I could control about it. But that doesn't give me or anyone else the right to spew out hateful and untrue things about someone else.

I know that her posts are from a place of rage, sadness, terror. First we get chastised for worrying about this because the danger to us is minute. Then we get chastised because we are not caring enough when pointing out the actual danger. Her lashing out at us is understandable, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. And I know that some may think 'easy for you to say being all safe in an unaffected country having a normal routine,' and there is some truth to that. It's easier for us to discuss these impacts and outcomes since it is not happening to us. This level of detachment though is not unhealthy or bad. It gives us enough breathing room to be able to coordinate donations, setting up resources, etc.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#168 of 311 Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:

i mean, what if it were you? what is someone was writing off your life and the lives of your family members as _only_ a couple of people that would be hurt. no big deal really.

This has happened to me and to my first child. It sucks, but it is the way of the world. When I lost Joseph, I was one of the few that this happened to. Devastating to me and my family. But I commonly hear other people touting that what happened to me was very rare to pregnant women who discussed said fear. Because, while it devastated me, it is not common enough to be a real worry for others.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#169 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post

The last thing I want to do I cause upset.  I'm very sorry.  How can we help you?  Honestly.  I want to know what I can do to help.  I know we have been told not to send items, just send money.  But I'm also reading that the relief supplies aren't making it to the people who need it.  I am deeply concerned for the families in Japan.  I have been crying everyday reading about and watching the devastation.  When it happened, DH and I were glued to the TV watching in horror and praying for everyone there.

Please, what can we do to help?  I am just one person but I will do what I can.  My favourite quote from my favourite philosopher is "Do or do not. There is no try".  Tell me what you need and I will do it.

Martha

Yoda?

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#170 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 AM

Normally, I strongly believe that all opinions are equally valid, in that it is the right of any person to hold any opinion they believe.  (I don't really want to get into it here, but I want to note that this doesn't mean that I don't think some opinions are pretty stupid... but again, I believe that's my valid opinion.  And when your opinion turns into an action that's unthoughtful or hateful, that's a totally different situation.  Again, this thread isn't the time to get into this philosophy, I just want to say that before someone argues with me.)

But, gently mamas, I think that mmmmochi's fears are far more valid than those of anyone else posting in this thread.  She's in the middle of a disaster that everyone else in this thread is only imagining.  And the imagined effects on you and your children are pretty thoughtless compared to what mmmmochi is going through.  Really, some of the posts on here are laughable. And, you know, your irrational fears are your own and should be respected (I have irrational fears too... I think we all do), but I think that it is highly insensitive to compare them to mmmmochi's very real fears, that are actually based on the facts of her situation and not on fear-mongering websites trying to sell frightened Americans something.

This is the time to be supportive of Mmmmochi, and to give her a wide berth for her feelings and opinions.  She is in the middle of a tragedy that is just not affecting anyone else in this thread, and to pretend that you and your children are in the sort of danger that she is in, and to repeatedly tell her that, is offensive to her situation.

Mmmmochi, if you're still reading this, I wanted to give you a big hug.  

Petronella and ellemenope like this.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#171 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 07:05 AM

I am appalled at the selfishness displayed by some on this thread.  And no, saying you are just "concerned about your family" isn't a good reason for the navel-gazing.  Considering how much some of you are freaking out about the miniscule radiation threat to the west coast of the US, I would think you'd be a tad more empathetic to a woman who is living RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS.  Not just the radiation, but moreso the massive infrastructure damage and loss of life.  Knowledge is power.  But you have to look at actual knowledge, and not conspiracy theories and fear-mongering schemers(like those selling potassium iodide to panicked Americans).

Here, I'll throw this out here too.

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/03/18/radiation-reaches-california-but-dont-rush-for-the-iodide-tabs/

journeymom likes this.
#172 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 AM

This is ridiculous! This thread was started for mothers who wanted to bounce info off one another about nuclear fallout on the WEST coast. This thread is in fact titled "West Coast, Iodine and fallout info" Any of you that came here to complain or chastise us, please start your own self aggrandizing thread about how often you pray, donate money, show concern, whatever YOU do that is so much more valid and important and worthy then our concern. Normally I am a meek voice in these threads but I think this is getting way out of line. 

NONE OF US ARE WITHOUT CONCERN, WITHOUT HEARTBREAK FOR THOSE DIRECTLY AFFECTED IN JAPAN! We all agree that this is a horrible and devastating . 

*This has nothing to do with Mmmochi. I understand her anger, her lashing, her resentment. 

This thread has continued to be a discussion place for those on the West Coast. Anybody that would like to start a new one, please do. 

Ami, I am sorry for your loss, I can't imagine. Hugs.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#173 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourmama View Post

This is ridiculous! This thread was started for mothers who wanted to bounce info off one another about nuclear fallout on the WEST coast. This thread is in fact titled "West Coast, Iodine and fallout info" Any of you that came here to complain or chastise us, please start your own self aggrandizing thread about how often you pray, donate money, show concern, whatever YOU do that is so much more valid and important and worthy then our concern. Normally I am a meek voice in these threads but I think this is getting way out of line. 

NONE OF US ARE WITHOUT CONCERN, WITHOUT HEARTBREAK FOR THOSE DIRECTLY AFFECTED IN JAPAN! We all agree that this is a horrible and devastating . 

*This has nothing to do with Mmmochi. I understand her anger, her lashing, her resentment. 

This thread has continued to be a discussion place for those on the West Coast. Anybody that would like to start a new one, please do. 

Ami, I am sorry for your loss, I can't imagine. Hugs.

Thank you!
#174 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 AM

The following was distributed to patients in Seattle by well-known and esteemed naturopaths from the Emerald City Clinic.  I am so sorry for mmmochi and all the Japanese people who are being affected by these multiple tragedies.  Beyond words.  I will still continue to keep myself informed and prepared to protect my family.  Always.  Even if president Obama directs us to do nothing but watch tv.

Emerald City Clinic Family and Friends,

It has become obvious that many would like some clear guidelines and information about how to protect yourself against the radiation that may come over from Japan. The most common medical recommendation is taking iodine- proper levels of iodide in the body leave no room for radioactive iodine to be absorbed. Iodine is excreted and recycled through the body in 24-48h cycles so it is most important that you have good iodine stores on board at the time that the radiation comes to the west coast, if and when it makes it here. The threat of radioactive iodine is thyroid cancer; taking iodine has been proven to prevent thyroid cancers caused by radiation exposure but it will not reduce your risk of all cancers and all side effects of radiation exposure. Our prevention preferences are listed as follows:

A) Eat Seaweed

As Naturopaths, we believe in using the least invasive and most natural therapies first. Taking iodine supplementation alone will cause a disturbance in thyroid functioning for about 15% of the population; eating FOODS with iodine will not do this. We recommend incorporating seaweed into your diet as best you can- kelp, noribladderwrack, wakame and other sea vegetables. Nori, specifically, is available in seasoned sheets for easy snacking and are even in certain varieties of crackers. The U.S. Atomic Energy Commission recommends that adults (150lbs) consume two to three ounces (wet weight) of sea vegetables per week, or two tablespoons daily to protect from radiation toxicity. This should be increased fourfold during or after direct exposure to radiation. Recommendations should be adjusted appropriately for weight in treating children.

B) Seaweed extract

We are dispensing a bladderwrack seaweed extract, Fucus, in tincture form for those who prefer or would like to give to their young children who are seaweed averse. Fucus tincture should be taken 2 droppersful 3x a day for an adult and 1 dropperful 3x a day for children under 12 years of age, as the dose is weight dependent. Please consult your physician about dosing if you are pregnant or treating children under the age of 2.

Proper dosing for kelp tablets: 10 tabs per day for adults, 5 tabs for children.

C) Iodine

If you wish to take potassium iodine, we have drops available but please dose carefully! The current recommendation is:

One 130mg tablet a day for adults, ½ tablet a day for kids 3-12

But this is ONLY appropriate before or during direct exposure to radiation in the event of an accident- not for prophylactic or maintenance use. These doses are unsafe for thyroid health under normal conditions.

A safer iodine dose, if radiation starts to travel here is:

Adults: ½ Iodizyme tablet per day or 1 drop Potassium iodine/TriQuench

Children 2-12: ¼ Iodizyme tablet or 1 drop i Potassium iodine/TriQuench in a tablespoon of water- give child ½ tablespoon of the mixture.

Other tips:

Rosemary: the oils and anti-oxidant properties of rosemary have been shown to reduce the ill effects that radiation has on our cells. This can easily be added into your diet as an herb or can safely be taken in tincture extract amounts of 3 droppersful per day in adults, 1 full dropper for children 2-12.

Caffeic acid: found in apples, citrus fruits and cruciferous vegetables. Also found to mediate ill effects of radiation. We often ask that you all eat your fresh fruits and vegetables daily and now there is another reason. Caffeic acid is not available in supplement form.

Epsom salt baths is another way to keep your body balanced after general radiation exposure:

Dissolve 1 pound of sea salt or rock salt and 1 pound of baking soda in a hot bath — as hot as can be tolerated — and soak into the water until the bath becomes cool. This usually takes about 20-25 minutes. Adding bentonite clay or baking soda to the bath adds to the radiation detoxification effect.

Summary:

A) eat seaweed/kelp as described above

B) Fucus/Bladderwrack tincture

C) Iodine in various forms (adult dose)

Iodizyme: ½ tab per day or 1 tab every other day

TriQuench- 1 drops per day

Topical Lugol’s iodine. A short office visit (15 mins) is required to teach proper administration.

Iodine testing is available upon request.

THERE WILL BE NO REFILLS OF IODINE WITHOUT DOCTORS’ ASSESSMENT.

We will continue to update you all with our guidelines about iodine necessity as the situation changes.

Lovingly,

The Physicians of Emerald City Clinic

#175 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM

It is worth noting that the Japanese government has been entirely untruthful with its people about the seriousness of this nuclear accident.  So much so that minor officials are now evacuating towns in direct opposition to the government.  They know now that they have been lied to.  

#176 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 AM

I don't understand why it is so irritating to some of you that we are discussing how to protect ourselves from a possible risk. None of us know how this will turn out until it's really over. I very sincerely hope that the risk is "nonexistent" but how can I really know? I just want to be prepared and that doesn't have anything to do with how much I care about the people who are closer to the danger than I.

Are we not allowed to ever discus fears we may have because someone always has it worse? I can't say "my child has a cold and I'm really worried about him." without someone else coming and saying "How dare you worry about your child who merrily has a cold. My child has cancer!"

Some of you think we are being ridiculous to worry. That's fine. I hope you are right, but it doesn't change the fact that I am concerned and discussing that concern does not take anything away from the Japanese people.

#177 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post

Normally, I strongly believe that all opinions are equally valid, in that it is the right of any person to hold any opinion they believe.  (I don't really want to get into it here, but I want to note that this doesn't mean that I don't think some opinions are pretty stupid... but again, I believe that's my valid opinion.  And when your opinion turns into an action that's unthoughtful or hateful, that's a totally different situation.  Again, this thread isn't the time to get into this philosophy, I just want to say that before someone argues with me.)

But, gently mamas, I think that mmmmochi's fears are far more valid than those of anyone else posting in this thread.  She's in the middle of a disaster that everyone else in this thread is only imagining.  And the imagined effects on you and your children are pretty thoughtless compared to what mmmmochi is going through.  Really, some of the posts on here are laughable. And, you know, your irrational fears are your own and should be respected (I have irrational fears too... I think we all do), but I think that it is highly insensitive to compare them to mmmmochi's very real fears, that are actually based on the facts of her situation and not on fear-mongering websites trying to sell frightened Americans something.

This is the time to be supportive of Mmmmochi, and to give her a wide berth for her feelings and opinions.  She is in the middle of a tragedy that is just not affecting anyone else in this thread, and to pretend that you and your children are in the sort of danger that she is in, and to repeatedly tell her that, is offensive to her situation.

Mmmmochi, if you're still reading this, I wanted to give you a big hug.  

I don't see where anyone is doing the bolded. In fact, if you look at my posts, I  and several others have pointed out the reduced risk to people on the west coast. And then we got chastised about not caring about children outside the US.

Honestly, I am getting fed up here. The title of this thread focuses on the West Coast. We are all talking about the dangers posed to those on the west coast of US, not Japan. IMO, it is offensive to tell others who WILL be impacted as well to be quiet because it's not a 'real' problem. Sure, the impact might be miniscule, but how the heck will anyone know this if it ISN'T being discussed. Information is power, and certain other posters besides myself (I believe Wuwei and Chamomile)  have discussed how small those risks are, the risks of taking super doses of iodine, etc. In other words, we are all discussing this issue as it affects the west coast of America.

So what if it doesn't 'get through' to some of the mamas on here? Seriously? I don't eat organic but other mamas on MDC could talk until they are blue in the face--still not changing anything. Doesn't mean the discussion isn't worthwile. If it calms even one mama down, how is it bad?

And people were reacting defensively when told that they 'don't care' and aren't doing enough and how dare they worry about themselves when others out there have it worse. Sure, we are priviledged in our ability to worry about such miniscule amounts of radiation--but then again, most of the people worrying about GMO vs. GMO free and organic etc are privileged to worry about that. Should we stop all worries because there are bigger ones out there? This question, rather than being answered has been glossed over. Is chastising the mamas on here over and over that much more fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post

I don't understand why it is so irritating to some of you that we are discussing how to protect ourselves from a possible risk. None of us know how this will turn out until it's really over. I very sincerely hope that the risk is "nonexistent" but how can I really know? I just want to be prepared and that doesn't have anything to do with how much I care about the people who are closer to the danger than I.

Are we not allowed to ever discus fears we may have because someone always has it worse? I can't say "my child has a cold and I'm really worried about him." without someone else coming and saying "How dare you worry about your child who merrily has a cold. My child has cancer!"

Some of you think we are being ridiculous to worry. That's fine. I hope you are right, but it doesn't change the fact that I am concerned and discussing that concern does not take anything away from the Japanese people.

Karamom, you said it much better than I can. The title of this thread focuses on the West Coast of America. In here we are debating/discussing/sharing info about the real vs. imagined risks of all of this right now, with the information we have. Some will not be swayed--who CARES if they don't let go of their worries? I can worry about my own family and the families of others at the same time--wonderful multi-tasking ability I got when I became a mom. I am keeping up to date with all the aid being sent and, to point out the obvious, Japan is just NOW being opened up to aid deliveries. Assuming I only sleep 8 hours (ha! I wish!!!) I have16 other hours to worry about my family AND the families in Japan. I really don't see how this topic is taking anything away from the plight of the Japanese and anyone else in Japan.

Ami

#178 of 311 Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM

First off, my prayers and heartfelt thoughts go out to each of you, and frankly, every Mama on the planet.  May we all find our paths in our own ways and tread peacefully in our unique directions.

Thank you to all who have provided and are providing tangible ways to respond to this crisis.  Note:  I am writing this as my children play in a bathtub of baking  soda :).  (Don't worry, our house is so miniscule, I check on them constantly...). 

Here is something I can contribute:

My husband stopped at a health food store (www.SuperiorHealthProducts.com) in Sherman Oaks and found this info:

"The best source of easily absorbable ORGANIC Potassium (Black Strap Molasses) and Iodine (Black Walnut Hulls) is in the following recipe:

Organic Recipe for "Potassium Iodide"

This can be made by mixing and shaking together: 
2 cups of Organic, Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
2 cups of Organic, Raw, Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
3 dropperfuls (about 90-100 drops) of Black Walnut Hull tincture

Dosage:  2 dropperfuls -- taken 3 to 6 times daily as needed."  I imagine this is for adults, so re-calculate for kids, especially little ones.

Lugol's Solution

For those of you who bought the Lugol's solution, good info in these links below on Lugol's solution (we have the aquarium version). 
Test externally on skin of forearm for 24 hrs (Friday is a good day to do this) to make sure there is no adverse reaction (see links for adverse reactions)

Read links below to determine if, when, and how much you might use.  See important notes about adding liquids, apple cider vinegar, and have antidotes on hand (for example, vit c, chocolate). 

#179 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Hello mamas.

I wanted to come here and just take a few minutes to give a gentle reminder that there is a lot of fear going around all over the US and the world. Let's all understand that before we react in a negative way to the comments that we might find a bit off and where we think people might be a bit insensitive. There has been a lot of false information given out about this tragedy, specifically by well meaning people who know nothing about the nuclear world or about how nuclear power plants work. Between that, the already existing fear in much of the western world regarding all things nuclear, and the lack of real information from the japanese government it seems like this has been a perfect storm of fear for many.

Please be kind and gentle to each other as many here are just scared. Above all let us all be here to support and help each other. Maybe educating each other or maybe just giving a hug... but with the idea that we are not here to compare notes on this tragedy or further hurt those that are already hurting.

Everyone is welcome to share their feelings as this thread is not support only, so please understand that people may and will disagree with you... but please all of us let's all be respectful and keep in mind that this has been a tragedy of tremendous proportions, proportions that I think that we dont even fully grasp yet.... be kind to each other. Please.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#180 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a(TM)?Star View Post

Yoda?

I never said I was deeply intellectual ;) LOL

Tags
Organic Grace

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version