West Coast? Iodine & Fallout Information - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaupupup View Post

First off, my prayers and heartfelt thoughts go out to each of you, and frankly, every Mama on the planet.  May we all find our paths in our own ways and tread peacefully in our unique directions.

Thank you to all who have provided and are providing tangible ways to respond to this crisis.  Note:  I am writing this as my children play in a bathtub of baking  soda :).  (Don't worry, our house is so miniscule, I check on them constantly...). 

Here is something I can contribute:

My husband stopped at a health food store (www.SuperiorHealthProducts.com) in Sherman Oaks and found this info:

"The best source of easily absorbable ORGANIC Potassium (Black Strap Molasses) and Iodine (Black Walnut Hulls) is in the following recipe:

Organic Recipe for "Potassium Iodide"

This can be made by mixing and shaking together: 
2 cups of Organic, Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
2 cups of Organic, Raw, Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
3 dropperfuls (about 90-100 drops) of Black Walnut Hull tincture

Dosage:  2 dropperfuls -- taken 3 to 6 times daily as needed."  I imagine this is for adults, so re-calculate for kids, especially little ones.

Lugol's Solution

For those of you who bought the Lugol's solution, good info in these links below on Lugol's solution (we have the aquarium version). 
Test externally on skin of forearm for 24 hrs (Friday is a good day to do this) to make sure there is no adverse reaction (see links for adverse reactions)

Read links below to determine if, when, and how much you might use.  See important notes about adding liquids, apple cider vinegar, and have antidotes on hand (for example, vit c, chocolate). 

Thank you for this information.

#182 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:46 AM

FYI, http://xkcd.com/radiation/ A radiation dose chart that shows differing levels of radiation from different things. Worth a look.
WuWei likes this.
#183 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

FYI, http://xkcd.com/radiation/ A radiation dose chart that shows differing levels of radiation from different things. Worth a look.

Wow!! That is an amazing chart of information. Thank you. I am going to share it on. Fabulous resource!

Pat

I have a blog.
#184 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the thanks :).  Appreciation feels good.  Also, a quick reminder that childproof caps are NOT childproof.  Each of my four year old twins has now opened a childproof cap.  Given that I have a LOT of things out on the counter to counteract potential radiation (vitamins, flower essences, etc.) I have realized that I need to move these things up and away from my curious children...

Thinking of you all.  It's pouring rain here (three inches overnight in So. Cal.), so we're staying indoors today...

#185 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM

It is very hard for any of us to make declarations about what is safe or isn't because as of yet, no one knows how this disaster will play out.  There is the potential for widespread radiation contamination of people and the food supply, even if the media has stopped talking about it because it is scaring people and because the attention span for news in this country doesn't last more than a week anyway.  It does seem clear that the Japanese gov't has been untruthful and misleading in its reports to its own citizens.  Let's not forget that the forces in this world who own the power companies, a huge source of capital, also have almost complete control of the media.  They are also intricately intwined with the governments of all the industrialized nations.  We live in a world controlled by capitalism, that is to say, profits come before people.  There is a tremendous amount to be lost by the ruling elites, and it would be naive of us to assume that people lives would in any way come before the demands of that capital.  We have been shown this over and over by the many decisions our governments make that affect our health every day.  

People keep asking me, don't I trust the state health department and the EPA and the FDA and all the gov't bodies that are supposedly employed to protect the citizenry.  Well, you know, these are the same agencies that send me quarterly letters reminding me to vaccinate my children, saying that I should be afraid of not vaccinating them.  These are the same agencies that allow grand-scale use of cancer-causing chemicals that flood our environment.  These are the same officials (and the same sorts of 'studies')  who claim that mercury used in dentistry is perfectly safe, and that there is no problem with children being exposed to flame-retardant chemicals day in, day out for their entire lives.  These are the same agencies that claim GMO foods are fine, irradiated foods are perfectly safe, pesticides cause no trouble for humans, and they are the same agencies that oversee and regulate the use of the many prescription medicines that cause the unneccasry deaths of thousands of people every year.  I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the point.  

ETA:  As far as fear being itself the only thing we have to fear, does that apply to the people in Japan as well?  Because mothers in Japan at this time certainly have plenty of reasons to be afraid.  Fear has a place in evolution.

#186 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

It is very hard for any of us to make declarations about what is safe or isn't because as of yet, no one knows how this disaster will play out.  There is the potential for widespread radiation contamination of people and the food supply, even if the media has stopped talking about it because it is scaring people and because the attention span for news in this country doesn't last more than a week anyway.  It does seem clear that the Japanese gov't has been untruthful and misleading in its reports to its own citizens.  Let's not forget that the forces in this world who own the power companies, a huge source of capital, also have almost complete control of the media.  They are also intricately intwined with the governments of all the industrialized nations.  We live in a world controlled by capitalism, that is to say, profits come before people.  There is a tremendous amount to be lost by the ruling elites, and it would be naive of us to assume that people lives would in any way come before the demands of that capital.  We have been shown this over and over by the many decisions our governments make that affect our health every day.  

People keep asking me, don't I trust the state health department and the EPA and the FDA and all the gov't bodies that are supposedly employed to protect the citizenry.  Well, you know, these are the same agencies that send me quarterly letters reminding me to vaccinate my children, saying that I should be afraid of not vaccinating them.  These are the same agencies that allow grand-scale use of cancer-causing chemicals that flood our environment.  These are the same officials (and the same sorts of 'studies')  who claim that mercury used in dentistry is perfectly safe, and that there is no problem with children being exposed to flame-retardant chemicals day in, day out for their entire lives.  These are the same agencies that claim GMO foods are fine, irradiated foods are perfectly safe, pesticides cause no trouble for humans, and they are the same agencies that oversee and regulate the use of the many prescription medicines that cause the unneccasry deaths of thousands of people every year.  I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the point.  

How frightening!

Luckily, we have the ability to choose our beliefs, to choose thoughts that make us feel good or thoughts that make us feel fearful.

I choose to believe:

1. I can pretty much say what I want, and I haven't been censored yet.

2.  I believe that people saying their truths and sharing information via Facebook and other sources is what has led to the revolts against tyranny that are happening in the Middle East. I believe that if Capitalism and The Industrial Nations could, they would prefer these revolts were not happening because of the disruption to oil and gas.

3. I believe that geiger counters are actually fairly easy to obtain, are a very accurate instrument, and that between Twitter and Facebook and other online sites if there was deception by the Japanese government regarding actual radiation doses, there's no way such deception could continue for any length of time.

4. Bad things don't last for long. And they always get found out. You can't put melamine in the milk supply forever. Or even for very long.

5. The world rights itself whenever there is an imbalance again and again on the side of health and well-being. We topple sometimes but come back to center more often than not.

6. I look around me and I see way more libraries and roads and functioning water supplies and sewer systems and schools and colleges and people jogging and people riding bikes and people playing at the park with their children and people looking vibrant and happy than I see prisons or sickness or even cops handing out traffic tickets.

7. Life really is pretty damn good. There is nothing to be afraid of. There's no big bad boogeyman controlling you or your family.

8. And that the  media, rather than understating or hiding the reality of crises, if anything tend to exaggerate the severity of the situation. I remember Y2K and H1N1, for example. If the radiation crisis is no longer being reported in the news, that's probably because there's nothing much to report. Its getting better over there. They've got several reactors in cold standdown (perfect!) and the spent fuel pools now have regular water and electricity has been restored for the most part.

WuWei likes this.
#187 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 PM

for people who say its getting better they have now found radioactive iodine and caesium in our drinking tap water, vegetables and canola oil.

Its getting WORSE for us in Tokyo, not better.

#188 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM

#189 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 02:36 PM

I believe in the benevolence of people and the world.

Pat

I have a blog.
#190 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM

Japan is a developed country, full of science and tech labs.  Just about every well-equipped lab and hospital has a geiger counter available.   There is no shortage of them, and they are being deployed all over and people are liveblogging the results.   This is not an environment in which anyone can expect to keep the extent of this under wraps.   

And you know what's more crucial to people in the tsunami zone?  Food.  Heat.  Drinking water.  Blankets.  Lights.     You're right, they don't  need Geiger counters.   And they don't need panic preventing those vital supplies from getting to them, either.   

Quote:

3.  Many ordinary citizens of rural Japan do not have access to food, water, heat and medical supplies today.  Geiger counters?  Sure, YOU could get one right now via the internet and UPS.  No, they will not be able to lie about this forever, but each day is crucial right now to people in Japan and the information has been slow and unreliable, at best.  

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#191 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 03:15 PM

I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to post the following here or not, but it seems relevant.

I took dd in to see our holistic MD on Friday (not for reasons to do with the subject of this thread).  He is a very well-respected member of this community.  The first thing he said was that some communication about KI between himself and his clients had 'gone viral,' according to the head of the DOH in our county.  She had called him that morning and asked him if he had been promoting iodine supps for his clients.  Of course, he's a holistic doc so he uses idoine with his patients all the time, which he told her.  She went on to say that it was a touchy issue because if Japan's nuclear crisis did escalate to greater proportions that might possibly affect people here, she doesn't see how she could advise people to take KI....because people don't have any.  There is a small stockpile in one of the cities in the county and is reserved for domestic emergency only.  

#192 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to post the following here or not, but it seems relevant.

I took dd in to see our holistic MD on Friday (not for reasons to do with the subject of this thread).  He is a very well-respected member of this community.  The first thing he said was that some communication about KI between himself and his clients had 'gone viral,' according to the head of the DOH in our county.  She had called him that morning and asked him if he had been promoting iodine supps for his clients.  Of course, he's a holistic doc so he uses idoine with his patients all the time, which he told her.  She went on to say that it was a touchy issue because if Japan's nuclear crisis did escalate to greater proportions that might possibly affect people here, she doesn't see how she could advise people to take KI....because people don't have any.  There is a small stockpile in one of the cities in the county and is reserved for domestic emergency only.  

Yup. The US only has emergency plans for the distribution of KI among populations within like ten miles of a domestic nuclear site. And of course we've seen one of the disadvantages of a capitalist economy here with the "disappearance" of sellable KI in this country.
#193 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Ladies, please, we should all be respectful of each other during this time.  I understand the devestation in Japan and I also can understand the fear that others have living on the West coast.  We could support each other and share information, instead of being negative with each other. 

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#194 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl 

I've been avoiding this thread because I don't think I have anything constructive to contribute, but after reading this I can't help myself. Joybird, I don't disagree with anything you have posted here...but the tone you have adopted is just as insufferable and arrogant as what you are rallying against. I don't think the best way to educate people is condescending towards them.

Sigh. This is such a hard situation. I've had nothing but nightmares about Japan for a week. Please, lets all be kind to one another.

#195 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Ok all... this thread is getting a bit heated.

This is a really wonderful and important thread but we are getting really out of hand... no it is already out of hand. I am really trying to leave it up and let you all have a good discussion but the level of disrespect is really out of hand.

This is a tough topic, it is painful and scary.... but we should not be angry and attacking each other. I really dont want to have to start chopping up the thread and closing it... please mamas.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#196 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

This chart is really cool IF you believe the radiation amounts that people were exposed to at Three Mile Island and are currently exposed to in Japan. They put 3 Mile Island almost equal to a chest x-ray. Please watch this movie and tell me if you think this amount of cellular damage is possible at that level.

http://www.nuclearfreeplanet.org/three-mile-island-revisited-enviro-close-up-with-karl-grossman.html

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#197 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:

These are just words, after all.  We all have food to eat and a place to sleep tonight.  I am still having a hard time with the pp's post about "only 30,000 people"  I mean, WTF?

But is it at all possible that my words are being assigned a meaning I didn't intend, and that all of my adult life has been spent in service to others, and that I am actually a very warm, caring person who has sees, firsthand, on a daily basis, the worst that one human can do to another? Is it possible that I intended to point out that 30k in Japan, while very tragic, horrifying, and unbelievable, it is NOT 1 mill - the world is not going to be completely irradiated - I was merely trying to put facts and numbers on the matter, because to me, numbers and facts are soothing. I want to know the limit. I want to know where the end of the suffering is. It doesn't mean I have one iota less compassion for the 30,000.

Why would you do this to yourself and to me - choose to see my words as vile and evil, when there are other interpretations that you could more easily reach for, and that are truer, than the one you chose? Why are you chosing to believe these hurtful things about me?

journeymom likes this.
#198 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

where did you get that figure, 30,000 from? this disaster is far from over so i don't see how anyone could possibly predict....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

#199 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I began this post a week ago because I had fear and wanted to be prepared. I think at this point we have acknowledged that potassium iodide is not called for at the levels we are likely to see (unless things get much worse which is still a possibility) but eating sea veggies and being familiar with a radiation detox diet is a good thing. In addition, some emergency disaster preparedness would be wise for all of us. I think we were also called upon to remember and think of those who are suffering in Japan and to pray for them everyday.

If we are scared here, let us turn our energy into activism and do everything within our amazing power as Mother Bears to stop this type of disaster from happening in the US. Call, write, go to demonstrations! Speak up, for it will truly take a mass wave to stop the nuclear industry and put the safety of the people and the health of our planet before profits and greed.

I am hoping this thread gets shut down now. What we have witnessed here has not been unity and support. I hope that we can all learn something. Even if it is just how to get along better under the pressure of fear. For those interested, I have begun a thread in activism as a Prayer Circle for the People of Japan. Good vibes everyone. The world needs our prayers, not our fighting.

journeymom likes this.

#200 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talia rose View Post

where did you get that figure, 30,000 from? this disaster is far from over so i don't see how anyone could possibly predict....

The numbers were in response to the possibility of the worst case scenario if all 6 reactors melted down, and referred to only the casualties from nuclear radiation, including long-term casualties. It was given in response to some implausible posts and speculations about what the worst case scenario would look like in an attempt to soothe people's fears by providing a more accurate assessment of the nuclear situation. I didn't say anything about the total crisis - the earthquake and tsunami effects - which I believe are likely to be more severe than even the worst case nuclear crisis (which grows even more unlikely every day). I believed when I made my original post and believe even more strongly now that the biggest problems are the people suffering from the effects of the tsunami and the earthquake. Instead, we seemed to be running around trying to buy iodide that we aren't going to need, and our attention, in my opinion, was in the wrong place. The bigger crisis and suffering is with the people who are cold, hungry, and scared, and for the ones who are missing and may still be alive, and for the ones separated from their families.

journeymom likes this.
#201 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:25 PM

I am deleting a few posts that have gone over the top. The rudeness is unnecessary and has to stop. It has to. I want to leave this thread open for discussion more than most of you can imagine as this is something that I know a great deal about and would love to see it discussed but it is becoming impossible.

Please be respectful. If that is not possible this thread is going to get closed.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#202 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

if all 6 reactors melted down , it is said it could be 30 times worse than chernobyl. 985,000 people died long term from chernobyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post

The numbers were in response to the possibility of the worst case scenario if all 6 reactors melted down, and referred to only the casualties from nuclear radiation, including long-term casualties. It was given in response to some implausible posts and speculations about what the worst case scenario would look like in an attempt to soothe people's fears by providing a more accurate assessment of the nuclear situation. I didn't say anything about the total crisis - the earthquake and tsunami effects - which I believe are likely to be more severe than even the worst case nuclear crisis (which grows even more unlikely every day). I believed when I made my original post and believe even more strongly now that the biggest problems are the people suffering from the effects of the tsunami and the earthquake. Instead, we seemed to be running around trying to buy iodide that we aren't going to need, and our attention, in my opinion, was in the wrong place. The bigger crisis and suffering is with the people who are cold, hungry, and scared, and for the ones who are missing and may still be alive, and for the ones separated from their families.

#203 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:

if all 6 reactors melted down , it is said it could be 30 times worse than chernobyl. 985,000 people died long term from chernobyl.

Yes but other factors come into play like geography (Ukraine is landbound, not an island) and reactor type. Not that it matters in the long run, a tragedy is a tragedy...its just as a historian I'm growing weary of the constant comparison to Chernobyl when there is really little to compare.
#204 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Yes, and that information is inaccurate. There is a world of difference between the Japanese reactors and Chernobyl, which even back then was an obsolete plant. The sequence we saw at Chernobyl cannot happen here. A tiny portion of the existing fuel at the Japan reactors would get hot enough to break cladding and ignite. Most of the fuel would remain just where it is, and not spew into the air. Here, it would be more of an economic disaster, because of the shape of Japan (travel would be difficult as you can't travel through an irradiated zone) and because of the loss of useablily of that land.

One plant melting down would irradiate perhaps a 30 mile radius from the plant severely, inner 5-10 miles being unusable for a couple hundred years, maybe more, next 10 being a serious cancer risk, next 10 being maybe 2-3x baseline and useless for agriculture due to uptake concentration. That area and more has already been evacuated.

Total Curie release at worst could be something like 4-5x Chernobyl, but most of it will be local to the plant instead of dispersed wildly into the air the way Chernobyl was. In fact the entire complex might go up which would be really, really bad (multiply by six) but in reality doesn't change things much in terms of damage - maybe expands the radius another 5-10 miles, still within the evacuation zone.

Loss of life would be moderate (don't shoot me, okay? I still have compassion for that loss of life!), a few hundred to a couple thousand up front, maybe 20,000 extra cancers over the net 10-20 years, assuming pretty much everyone gets out without serious exposure, and they pretty much already have.

Tokyo would be okay, although the radiation would of course hit the meters there, as it is on our West Coast already. But not enough to be worrisome.

#205 of 311 Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM

BellinghamCrunchie, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it appears on the optimistic side from what I've read.  It is my understanding that Japan has still only ordered evacuation in a 12-18 mile radius, and that at three of the reactors the cores have been roughly half uncovered since shortly after the incident.  It would appear that things are still very uncertain at this point.  I am all for positive thoughts in place of fear and/or panic, but I think we need to strike a balance. It is unfortunate (understatement) that our governments and media don't give us enough information to make our own informed choices/decisions.

I've been reading the daily briefing transcripts from the Union of Concerned Scientists.  I don't know that their assessment is perfectly accurate, but it is more detailed information than I readily find in the general media.

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_power/nuclear_power_risk/safety/japan-nuclear-crisis-briefings.html

As a side note, I think some of what appears to be withholding of information on the part of Japan is cultural in nature.  From my experience in working with Japanese clients, as a culture they are not forthcoming with any negative news or information.  For example, when a situation would warrant my (US) company saying we could not commit to something, or we had some type of failure, etc., our Japanese counterparts would only go so far as to say something would be "very challenging."  Even when they knew it was impossible.  It was frustrating because it gave us false hope at times, when we would have preferred to hear the bad news up front and move on.  This is only my personal experience, and may not apply to this situation at all, but I keep it mind when I read quotes from Japanese officials.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people.

#206 of 311 Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmom View Post

BellinghamCrunchie, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it appears on the optimistic side from what I've read.  It is my understanding that Japan has still only ordered evacuation in a 12-18 mile radius, and that at three of the reactors the cores have been roughly half uncovered since shortly after the incident.  It would appear that things are still very uncertain at this point.  I am all for positive thoughts in place of fear and/or panic, but I think we need to strike a balance. It is unfortunate (understatement) that our governments and media don't give us enough information to make our own informed choices/decisions.

I've been reading the daily briefing transcripts from the Union of Concerned Scientists.  I don't know that their assessment is perfectly accurate, but it is more detailed information than I readily find in the general media.

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_power/nuclear_power_risk/safety/japan-nuclear-crisis-briefings.html

As a side note, I think some of what appears to be withholding of information on the part of Japan is cultural in nature.  From my experience in working with Japanese clients, as a culture they are not forthcoming with any negative news or information.  For example, when a situation would warrant my (US) company saying we could not commit to something, or we had some type of failure, etc., our Japanese counterparts would only go so far as to say something would be "very challenging."  Even when they knew it was impossible.  It was frustrating because it gave us false hope at times, when we would have preferred to hear the bad news up front and move on.  This is only my personal experience, and may not apply to this situation at all, but I keep it mind when I read quotes from Japanese officials.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Its been extremely hard for me to find an objective source that can relay the most accurate interpretation of the facts. Everyone seems to be divided into either pro-nuclear or anti-nuclear, and this strongly colors how each party views the exact same event. In the link you provided, there is a lot of speculation as to what may be true - it may be that the fuel rods aren't covered as well as they should be - but core temps and radiation readings wouldn't seem to support that. Of course, that can change rather quickly.

Although it does seem to me that things are in a much better place now than they were days ago, Its critical and reassuring that associations like the Union of Concerned Scientists continue to monitor and argue for additional action. I totally agree that its not time to relax and say all is well. There is still a very real danger of either spent fuel pool ignition or additional core meltdown. But that risk has definitely decreased, in my opinion. I don't even think its in the category of "likely" any more.

I hadn't realized that Japan hadn't mandated the evacuation to 50 miles. That is disturbing.

#207 of 311 Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:

This chart is really cool IF you believe the radiation amounts that people were exposed to at Three Mile Island and are currently exposed to in Japan. They put 3 Mile Island almost equal to a chest x-ray. Please watch this movie and tell me if you think this amount of cellular damage is possible at that level.

http://www.nuclearfreeplanet.org/three-mile-island-revisited-enviro-close-up-with-karl-grossman.html

Pretty hard to argue with these people (in the video).  This is a good example of modern folk wisdom, the way important information has always been passed down, by the people who hold the knowledge.  Who was it that said, "Science is man's way of measuring what he doesn't know."

It is in line with the opinions of Physicians for Social responsibility, though, who hold that there is no known 'safe' threshold of exposure to radioactive particles.

http://www.psr.org/news-events/news-archive/radiation-and-health-japanese-nuclear-crisis-health-impacts.html

#208 of 311 Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 AM

I'm still closely monitoring the levels because I believe the traces found here over the weekend are from the early leaks caused from the earthquake and not from the three explosions which took place on Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday. Those caused much higher levels of radiation to leak.

170311top1.jpg

It seems the news about Libya is taking over the radiation situation--hmm.. it's not front page anymore but is still dire with workers being evacuated yesterday due to two smoking reactors. Everyone should be aware of Japanese fruit, dairy products, vegetables and seafood being contaminated and avoid them.

#209 of 311 Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Agreed about avoiding the food products. I know, the sad news about Libya has suddenly switched the gears in our government. I wonder why this isn't more of a pressing issue? I feel so overwhelmed with the current events in the world right now, but I suppose that is another thread.

I keep thinking, isn't it getting worse? Doesn't that mean more of a chance for more fallout?

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#210 of 311 Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourmama View Post

Agreed about avoiding the food products. I know, the sad news about Libya has suddenly switched the gears in our government. I wonder why this isn't more of a pressing issue? I feel so overwhelmed with the current events in the world right now, but I suppose that is another thread.

I keep thinking, isn't it getting worse? Doesn't that mean more of a chance for more fallout?

Current events are pretty dismal right now, bonjour. I just read there is another massive oil spill in the Gulf again this morning....I think I need to step away from the computer and go for a run to bring back some positivity. I want to be positive and present when my children come home from school.

Tags
Organic Grace

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page