West Coast? Iodine & Fallout Information - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 311 Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi bonjour mama -- I filled the water barrel to be prepared for any emergency.  Currently I'm feeling I'm at a 6 on  my 1 to 10 scale of concern.  One of the ways I've found to decrease my stress level give the current events is to channel my nervous energy into being prepared for any emergency.  Although we have had three significant wildfires in the past few years and been evacuated for one, I have really only had a makeshift set of supplies for emergencies.  (And, I've realized, it's different running from fire:  we just take ourselves, animals, important papers and irreplaceable items.  I have that drill down to four 18 gallon Rubbermaid bins, plus water, enough snacks for a day and extra clothes along with some firstaid gear...).  I've known for some time that I've been underprepared for an earthquake. And, despite the fact we live less than 100 miles from a nuclear power plant, it NEVER crossed my mind I should be prepared for that type of disaster...now I know better.

I bought my water barrel from Costco online (see type below) and they shipped it for free.  It arrived.

Shelf Reliance
55-gallon Barrel
Water Storage System

Food Grade Water Barrel, Siphon Pump, Bung Wrench & Water Treatment Solution

#242 of 311 Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Well, my local Whole Foods (I'm in Marin County) was sold out of apple pectin. I guess I wasn't quick enough for this one.

I purchased some Kids Gummy Pectin Swirls which is a good start. I'll head to the vitamin shoppe tomorrow.

In the meantime, I found some good info from this blog that I wanted to share:

Apple pectin- 1/2 tsp twice a day. I have been stirring it up in applesauce and that works really well. Apple pectin actually draws radioactive waste from your body and draws it out through the colon. Apple pectin is also good for your gall bladder.

Montmorillonite clay-Cholacol ll by Standard Process contains betonite clay which is the same thing as Montmorillonite clay and it functions like a magnet collecting toxins on its surface and sweeping them away. I take two with every meal.

Chaparral tincture- I made a blood cleansing tincture last year based on one of Jon Barron’s formulas, so 4 droppersful in water three times a day for about 5 days should protect my body from genetic damage as it contains Chaparral. If you don’t have a blood cleansing tincture in the house try Jon Barron’s Blood Support or buy a tincture with Chaparral.

Cilantro Pesto- this is a great tasting pesto and as strontium, cesium and plutonium are all heavy metals cilantro pesto is a tasty way to chelate heavy metals from the body. Add some chlorella and you have the post- radiation- cloud perfect food.

mamaupupup likes this.
#243 of 311 Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Just thinking and wondering what you are telling your children.   Here's what we've done:

For what it’s worth, our kids (4 year olds) are dealing with this well. Since I was stressed out and clearly had less patience than usual, I decided I was going to be upfront with the kids. We call it the “dirty cloud.”

On Tuesday the 15th, I sat down with the kids and a world map. I explained where Japan was and that they had had an earthquake where the ground jiggled and wiggled and tsunami, a great big, giant, destructive wave came on land. I told them that many people died and many were injured and that noone had homes to go back to there. And, I said, “There is a factory which uses chemicals to make power to make the lights and other things work. That factory was damaged too. And, I’m worried that some of those chemicals might get into the air and that the wind could carry them here.” I then said, “If Daddy and I get worried enough, we’ll pack a few bags and get out of the way of the ‘dirty cloud.’” I named a few places we might go.

They’ve had questions here and there, but all in all they seem to be fine and enjoy seeing the UPS/Fedex guy arrive daily with packages of things they’ve never seen before: 55 gal water barrel (they enjoyed playing in that box immensely). They still don’t like the taste of seaweed, however! I’ve been lacing their ketchup!

What have you told your children?

#244 of 311 Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM

We already eat sea vegetables and probiotics, berries, apples, turmeric, ginger, potassium, calcium (in foods); they are beneficial for everyone anyway. So, just add them to your regular diet. We might add some cherries, rosemary, milk thistle, green tea, echinacea or apple pectin if we had a concern..

I told ds that there was an earthquake, tsunami and concern about radiation in Japan. I haven't discussed anything regarding any concern for us, as I do not have any. We are driving TO California and are delighted to be visiting the West Coast.

Pat

I have a blog.
#245 of 311 Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

We have told our daughter about the same as you, mamaupupup. She is also aware that we do not want her out playing in the rain. I agree the threat is small but any amount of radiation does up the chances of cancer. Much more so in children. Extremely small levels have been detected from southern california all the way up to BC. And, I truly believe things over there are much worse than they are telling us. Here is a very good article about how these small amounts of fallout affect us and what natural steps we can take to protect ourselves.

http://doctorapsley.com/RadiationTherapy.aspx

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#246 of 311 Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

oops i had already posted that above link

here is a different one from the Physicians For Social Responsibility

http://www.psr.org/news-events/press-releases/psr-concerned-about-reports-increased-radioactivity-food-supply.html

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

#247 of 311 Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

This is one of the reasons I think things are much worse over there...the press blackout makes it very difficult to get to the truth. But I kinda trust this guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kgwd_9HyME

#248 of 311 Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks Talia Rose--excellent links.  Within the link you recommended above, I found this article

http://www.psr.org/resources/health-risks-releases-radioactivity.pdf .   This is perhaps the most balanced article I've read so far on how to personally assess potential harm.  Thank you!

#249 of 311 Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM

We've upped our clay intake considerably.  It absorbs, binds and helps excrete toxins and pollutants.  Its safe for all ages.  I'm adding in more chlorella as well.  We're also having lots of Vitamineral Green powder, sea vegetables, miso, Vitamin C, glutamine, milk thistle, Vitamin D, B-Vitamins, selenium, zinc, probiotics, Vitamin E, MSM, N-acetyl-cysteine, and using homeopathics and flower essences.  We're still maintaining the iodine as well (13mg/day for adults, 6mg for kids, 3mg for babies)  We're all doing fine with it and the more I read the more I feel it was the right choice for us.  It's going to rain here for the next week, which is typical but this is the first time in my life the rain has actually made me sad.  

I haven't said anything to dd about dirty clouds because she's only 6 and I feel that I should protect her from that kind of fear right now.  I think at that age I would have been pretty freaked out if I thought that I needed to be afraid of the clouds.  I'm going by the idea that kids should have lots of time to learn to love the earth before they get bombarded with environmental/pollution issues.   She does know that there was an earthquake and tsunami and that people were left homeless and lost loved ones, etc.  

The following article speculates that Fukushima fallout levels are nearing that of Chernobyl.  

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20285-fukushima-radioactive-fallout-nears-chernobyl-levels.html?loc=interstitialskip

#250 of 311 Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM

dr.mercola finally released an article about the radiation. there's an interview with dr.brownsteine (the iodine expert) that some of you may be interested in. sorry i cant cut and paste a direct link from my phone.

i've been watching the rss feed from "npr: japan in crisis" and have grave concerns about their reports of leakage from the mox reactor. greensad.gif my thoughts are with the people of japan.

heartbeat.gif

#251 of 311 Old 03-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

We've upped our clay intake considerably.  It absorbs, binds and helps excrete toxins and pollutants.  Its safe for all ages.  I'm adding in more chlorella as well.  We're also having lots of Vitamineral Green powder, sea vegetables, miso, Vitamin C, glutamine, milk thistle, Vitamin D, B-Vitamins, selenium, zinc, probiotics, Vitamin E, MSM, N-acetyl-cysteine, and using homeopathics and flower essences.  We're still maintaining the iodine as well (13mg/day for adults, 6mg for kids, 3mg for babies)  We're all doing fine with it and the more I read the more I feel it was the right choice for us.  It's going to rain here for the next week, which is typical but this is the first time in my life the rain has actually made me sad.  

I haven't said anything to dd about dirty clouds because she's only 6 and I feel that I should protect her from that kind of fear right now.  I think at that age I would have been pretty freaked out if I thought that I needed to be afraid of the clouds.  I'm going by the idea that kids should have lots of time to learn to love the earth before they get bombarded with environmental/pollution issues.   She does know that there was an earthquake and tsunami and that people were left homeless and lost loved ones, etc.  

The following article speculates that Fukushima fallout levels are nearing that of Chernobyl.  

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20285-fukushima-radioactive-fallout-nears-chernobyl-levels.html?loc=interstitialskip

Just to put it out there, I have been hearing that there are concerns with aluminum and ingesting too much clay. I was really interested in clay (for other reasons) but now I'm not so sure.

I agree about not freaking kids out about the radiation. I would have (literally) worried myself sick. I think it's way to abstract of a concept and that many (most?) adults don't have a good grip on what this all means. I know I don't!
#252 of 311 Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM

This might be a stupid question but for those wonderful links of foods, products and supplements taken internally and externally to help rid body of toxins (including radioactive fallout) does this also apply to the radiation that you would get from a medical scan? Which as I understand it is entirely different and not the same?  I know this thread is about the nuclear crisis but I am not sure if this has been discussed before and if the same steps one could take to protect from nuclear crisis would also apply to radiation of any sort?  

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#253 of 311 Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 AM

Hi everyone, I don't have news and dial up internet so I am in the dark about what is going on. I live in the east but my brother is moving to Seattle in a few weeks and I am wondering what is this "cloud" you are all talking about? Is it already there?
#254 of 311 Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

Just to put it out there, I have been hearing that there are concerns with aluminum and ingesting too much clay. I was really interested in clay (for other reasons) but now I'm not so sure.

I agree about not freaking kids out about the radiation. I would have (literally) worried myself sick. I think it's way to abstract of a concept and that many (most?) adults don't have a good grip on what this all means. I know I don't!

Thank you for the heads-up.  I was concerned about that issue as well but I've researched it like crazy and it seems that the aluminum concerns don't have much merit.  The way the clay is molecularly organized binds the aluminum, keeping it from being absorbed or taken up by the body.  Lots of practitioners who use relatively large amounts of clay have monitored metal levels with tests and have not found increased aluminum, and as often as not aluminum levels have actually gone down (along with other heavy metals, which is what the clay is supposed to do as you probably know).  I feel pretty comfortable taking it.  It is an amazing detox agent.

#255 of 311 Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post

This might be a stupid question but for those wonderful links of foods, products and supplements taken internally and externally to help rid body of toxins (including radioactive fallout) does this also apply to the radiation that you would get from a medical scan? Which as I understand it is entirely different and not the same?  I know this thread is about the nuclear crisis but I am not sure if this has been discussed before and if the same steps one could take to protect from nuclear crisis would also apply to radiation of any sort?  

Yes. The research applies to both situations, per my understanding.

Pat

I have a blog.
#256 of 311 Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

Hi everyone, I don't have news and dial up internet so I am in the dark about what is going on. I live in the east but my brother is moving to Seattle in a few weeks and I am wondering what is this "cloud" you are all talking about? Is it already there?

I live north of Seattle. There is no "cloud." There has been a minute increase in radioactive particles detected, but that's it. Life goes on unchanged -- except for maybe thinking about earthquake preparedness a little bit more.

#257 of 311 Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

I live north of Seattle. There is no "cloud." There has been a minute increase in radioactive particles detected, but that's it. Life goes on unchanged -- except for maybe thinking about earthquake preparedness a little bit more.

Thanks!
#258 of 311 Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Radiation detected in MA rainwater. 

"I think maybe the situation is much more serious than we were led to believe," said one expert, Najmedin Meshkati, of the University of Southern California

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/27/japan-idUSL3E7ER06020110327

Leak found outside reactor.  "Plutonium has also been found in soil at the plant, but not at levels that threaten human health, officials say."  For reals?  How can they say this?  Plutonium is dangerous at ANY levels.  All I keep hearing is how none of the radiation anywhere is going to harm anybody. Its leaking out all over the place, but according to all officials and government agencies, it is totally safe.   And war is peace and peace is war and on and on it goes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12881015

#259 of 311 Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This whole situation is so devastating and scary.  But regarding the press and them not letting on to how bad it may be, I can fully understand that.  Because it is not like a situation like a war, in which some people can make decisions which can change things and they are just lying to people.  It is a devastating environmental disaster- and if they tell all the people only how bad it is, then everyone will go into panic mode.  And I don't know that there is much that people could do even if it were that bad- I guess maybe evacuate their homes- but I think people really don't know at this point how bad it is. So anyway I do understand why the press or the people who are reporting would try to make people feel less scared by downplaying it.

It is just so sad and scary to think of the worldwide consequences of this radioactivity.  Interestingly, when I talked to my mom about it she said something to the effect of-  the world has been in these kinds of messes in the past, and it eventually fixes itself, and goes in cycles. While I am not sure that it has ever been as bad as this, that at least gave me some comfort. I do wonder what kind of world my baby son will grow up to see. sigh. It is so depressing to think about the whole ocean and vast amounts of the world being totally radioactive that I can only allow myself to think about it for a while and then I have to put it out of my mind.

How do you all feel about it? Are you really scared of this radiation really having a huge impact on the world and being completely toxic to huge amounts of land and air and water- even in the USA? Or do you think it will work itslef out and not be so bad in the end?

#260 of 311 Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Yeah I read that about the plutonium today and didn't understand it either. Where did I read that even one molecule of plutonium if ingested or inhaled could cause cancer? that it has half life of many thousands of years? (naturalnews maybe?) Not sure if its true but it does seem like they are downplaying the seriousness of this. A week or so ago I read its so highly lethal even a bit of it could be fatal now Im reading its not as dangerous as Iodine because its "heavier" and therefore wont go far. (could it travel as a speck of dust on someones clothing or object I wonder?) They are now admitting it may take months or YEARS to correct this catastrophe.. Which was a bit ominous when I read that.

When are we going to stop polluting our beautiful world? I too am saddened at the world my son will have to grow up in. And what is it going to be like for my grandchildren?

"Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree prophecy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#261 of 311 Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 AM

i think we are seeing boiling frog syndrome at work here. we all know that there is no really safe level to ingest and inhale radioactive particles yet keep being told that the radiation levels are not harmful to human health greensad.gif

i've been thinking about food supply. we had been planning a trip to the pacific seashore to learn about wildcrafting seaweed (planned before this all began). now i dont really want to eat anything that comes from the pacific. probably extreme (we all know that the levels arent harmful to human health....just like the mercury in vaxes has nothing to do with the autism epidemic....)

has anyone run across a list of foods that do not pick up radioactive particles?

the other day npr ran an article about 99 foods in the fuchashima area that are too radioactive to eat. if you google: npr radioactive wasabi , you will find the article (i cant cut and paste links on this thing). it's so sad for japan. i also worry about their seaweed industries as the radiation in the ocean spreads northward. much of the world's nori comes from sendai. and i wonder how people will rebuild their lives, homes etc in these rural farming areas when there is so much radiation.

heartbeat.gif

#262 of 311 Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM

oops 

#263 of 311 Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM

oops?

Tonight I heard that trace levels of rad found in milk and drinking water. Here is the notes from the EPA:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/8aca5fe3d1d30ebc852578630074eaff!OpenDocument

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#264 of 311 Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourmama View Post

oops?

Tonight I heard that trace levels of rad found in milk and drinking water. Here is the notes from the EPA:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/8aca5fe3d1d30ebc852578630074eaff!OpenDocument

Nice of them to let us know five days later eh?
#265 of 311 Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 AM

Yes, traces of radiation in WA milk.  I am feeling very very sick. 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703806304576233221749626458.html

There is a piece on Democracy Now from yesterday taking about the dangers of internal emitters, which is what you get from eating/ingesting/inhaling radiation.  It is completely and totally different from 'background radiation' or radiation from flights, etc.  

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/3/30/prescription_for_survival_a_debate_on

#266 of 311 Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

and california

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/31/radiation.us/index.html?hpt=T2

how many "chest x-rays" will you let your child drink? we don't x-ray pregnant women because we know it can harm the baby, yet they are telling us this is safe? they also tout the half life as 8 days and say this will go away quickly, but fukishima is detecting higher and higher levels each day and could continue for years....

#267 of 311 Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Much of the information I found on radioactive detoxing was for people detoxing chemo and radiation for cancer treatment so I believe it will also apply to x-rays and any source of radiation contamination....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post

#268 of 311 Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

i think we will see the cancer rates go up everywhere and there will be more people and children with all sorts of health issues - in an era when so many are unemployed and have no health care. cancer is an industry that makes a lot of money for corporations so they will see this as a bonus. it will be devastating to those families affected by it and not so noticed (except the fear factor) by those who are not. the very best thing we can do for our families is to keep our immune systems strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

This whole situation is so devastating and scary.  But regarding the press and them not letting on to how bad it may be, I can fully understand that.  Because it is not like a situation like a war, in which some people can make decisions which can change things and they are just lying to people.  It is a devastating environmental disaster- and if they tell all the people only how bad it is, then everyone will go into panic mode.  And I don't know that there is much that people could do even if it were that bad- I guess maybe evacuate their homes- but I think people really don't know at this point how bad it is. So anyway I do understand why the press or the people who are reporting would try to make people feel less scared by downplaying it.

It is just so sad and scary to think of the worldwide consequences of this radioactivity.  Interestingly, when I talked to my mom about it she said something to the effect of-  the world has been in these kinds of messes in the past, and it eventually fixes itself, and goes in cycles. While I am not sure that it has ever been as bad as this, that at least gave me some comfort. I do wonder what kind of world my baby son will grow up to see. sigh. It is so depressing to think about the whole ocean and vast amounts of the world being totally radioactive that I can only allow myself to think about it for a while and then I have to put it out of my mind.

How do you all feel about it? Are you really scared of this radiation really having a huge impact on the world and being completely toxic to huge amounts of land and air and water- even in the USA? Or do you think it will work itslef out and not be so bad in the end?

#269 of 311 Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM

mamas reread this article by dr apsley

doctorapsley.com/RadiationTherapy.aspx

there are many things we can do, even now. i especially like what he says about baking soda therapy~it's very alkalizing. our grandparents used to use baking soda treatments all the time

many of these radioactive isotopes act just. like. calcium. in our bodies. ensure that you are fully saturated and crowd out the isotope just like we are doing with iodine

take action mamas. i just finished reading the survivors club. survivors take action. gather up your information and use it.

stay calm, get busy, take care and above all ~be well~

heartbeat.gif

#270 of 311 Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM

Thanks Moss, being depressed and scared is not healthy for me or my baby. Good reminder!

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou

Tags
Organic Grace

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page