Mothering Forum banner

West Coast? Iodine & Fallout Information

23K views 310 replies 57 participants last post by  newmum35 
#1 ·
Here is a link to a really great article regarding potential nuclear fallout hitting the west coast from Japan...in addition to potassium iodide supplements it can be helpful to eat seaweed and miso.....

http://drdavidbrownstein.blogspot.com/

#2 ·
Thank you for posting, this is interesting! I live in California.

I have had inquiries about the use of iodine to prevent problems secondary to the nuclear fallout that will occur. As the Japanese nuclear reactors release radiation into the air, the jet streams will push this radiation to the Western U.S. and Canada.

He writes as if nuclear fallout is a given, and I didn't know that it is. I'd read that they were considering venting radioactive steam to prevent further damage. Of course, there's always the concern that they're not being entirely honest about the scope of this mess.

Regardless, I think picking up some iodine is a good idea. I've been glued to the news.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I not doubting the map is a hoax, but couldn't you find a better source than that blog?
Your problem with it? I mean, I could have also pointed out that fallout requires an explosion that lofts irradiated particulate in the first place, but Brownstein was clearly relying on the map, and the article seems to set things out clearly. I'm not otherwise familiar with the blog.

#7 ·
They are now venting at the third reactor, despite the fact the first one caused an explosion. Even CNN is reporting the possibility of meltdown.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/13/japan-quake-ventilation-idUSLJE7E301820110313

If I can buy a bottle of supplements to protect my family on the chance it does drift over here I will. The local natural food stores are sold out, as are many online stores. If you wait until you hear it confirmed, you may not be able to find any. And, I trust my government to tell me the truth about as much as I believed them when they released a report saying the oil spill is all cleaned up.

Potassium Iodide is a well known method of protection for radiation exposure. I don't quite understand why any of you would want to bash a person for blogging about methods we can take to protect ourselves. I, for one. am very grateful for his information.

#17 ·
#19 ·
Modifilan is concentrated seaweed extract, and helps with radiation detox. Not just the iodine, the seaweed components.

http://www.modifilan-seaweed-extract.com/

"Modifilan was first developed in the Russia in the late 1960's after radioactive fallouts occurred at nuclear labs and power plants. Russian scientists found that brown seaweed - Laminaria japonica had the strongest healing effect for treating radiation poisoning. It has perfect group of elements(ionic iodine, laminarin, alginates and selenium), found in one natural source."

http://www.modifilan-seaweed-extract.com/ModifilanHistory.aspx?keyword=

#23 ·
It is in my place too, which is a pretty conservative and seemingly uninformed place. That was creepy to go to numerous health food stores and to be told "sold out"

Wow, I am really getting worried. I just hope we are adequately informed.

#24 ·
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm in Oregon and getting kind of freaked out. I just bought 4 bottles of Lugols from amazon with 2 day shipping so I hope it will get here in time. I do have 1 bottle right now in my cupboard though.

The first article was really helpful with dosages so thank you but I'm still feeling really confused about how much to give my family. It seems like the radiation may be around for several days since there are several reactors going at different times (if they all go.) Is it safe to take that high of a dose multiple times? Also it seemed like a good idea to start taking a little bit now but I'm not sure how much? I just don't want to give my children too much and hurt them. Also I'm 37 weeks preg which is just great if this turns into a big crisis. Nice environment for giving birth
irked.gif

ETA: I'm not expecting the mainstream media to give us accurate info on this.

#25 ·
I am not expecting it either.
greensad.gif

We are trying to research like crazy. I don't know how much of the liquid iodine (Lugol's) to give my 8 mth old. Anyone please update this thread with any info. Cannot trust news!

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/BioterrorismandDrugPreparedness/ucm072265.htm#What%20potassium

Talia,

What brand did you get? The CC says that only 3 brands are FDA approved. The link above links to them. I ordered online direct from the company but have no idea if it will get here in time. I'm thinking of taking my toddler and flying to the East Coast for a week but am I being just super paranoid?
I'm planning the same thing! My family of 5 is ready to fly out of the area if we sense it's not safe due to the fallout. I'm heading to my health store tomorrow to stock up on potassium iodide--if they are sold out I'll order it from Amazon or Ebay and have it shipped overnight. Why wouldn't I take every precaution if I can?

Pretty serious stuff going on and I don't trust the media to report the truth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.