Strep throat, just tried a cayenne pepper gargle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knew I was getting a sore throat on Monday, Tuesday it hit pretty hard and this morning I woke up feeling like I was trying to swallow glass shards. I went to my doctor, I told him I have a long history of strep, but this felt different. So, he takes a look and says that it has the gray pus that is normally there in strep, but there is another bacteria going around that's looking a lot like strep and it's not very common. He does his throat swab and it comes out all yellow and bloody, yuck. He gave me an antibiotic that will help both.

Anyway, I started the antibiotics at around 11 this morning, but it's not like they're helping with the pain yet. I've been drinking hot tea, hot soups, anything I can think of to make it better. I finally decided that I was willing to try anything to make the pain recede a bit. I came upon a site, Earth Clinic, and people were talking about a cayenne pepper gargle. I just tried it and surprisingly it has helped. It still hurts, but I think I might actually be able to take a nap now. At this point I'll take any temporary relief I can get!

ETA: I got my results back today and it's definitely strep.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 AM

How did you make it? My throat is sore today.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

I did 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne in about a cup of hot water (just out of the tap hot). Then I gargled until that was gone, I think it was about 5 or 6 times.

The first time I tried it it took away about 50% of the pain. I did the gargle again later that night and it only took away about 25% of the pain then, but it didn't ever get as bad as before I did the first one. Today it's more of an irritation and not the pain I was in yesterday.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 AM

It wasnt strep, but i had an awful sore throat for a while.  Within a few hours of eating globs of RAW, UNBOILED honey from the jar, it felt better, and its felt perfect ever since.  I just keep eating a tablespoon a day.  No matter how I feel. 

Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM

I didn't have any cayenne, so I used tabasco sauce. It does help! Thanks!!

I think I'll try the honey now.

User Tag List