Calling all Neti Pot Users- Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone-

First of all, I don't use it everyday- only when I feel sinus issues or during hayfever season.  Is this one of the issues?  I'm not giving myself time to get used to the sensation?  The first few times I do it are so awful that i dread having to use it!  Am I the only weird one with this problem?  Anyone else have this issue and what do you do to help it?   

I've read alot of the previous posts regarding neti pot... and have tried to incorporate  a lot of the tips but it is still so awful!  I just can't get used to the sensation...  is my saline solution still off?  i've been using sea salt, is this a bad thing?  

what is it supposed to feel like when the solution, head angle, water temp are all spot on?   

Thx,

Nantucket

#2 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM

I believe the solution needs to be buffered to avoid stinging.  How you do that with a homemade solution I don't know...I buy the packets that you just mix with water.

When you get everything right, you really shouldn't feel anything.  Just maybe a little warmth in your nose.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post

I believe the solution needs to be buffered to avoid stinging.  How you do that with a homemade solution I don't know...I buy the packets that you just mix with water.

When you get everything right, you really shouldn't feel anything.  Just maybe a little warmth in your nose.

Yup. This is my opinion too.  I think that if you have allergies and/or sinus issues, using it daily, and multiple times a day when really having issues/symptoms, is the way to go.  I use mine 2 times/day, more if I have a cold.

Keep trying, maybe use the packets.  That's what I use. I have had a lot of success keeping sinus issues at bay when using my neti pot with regularity!

GL!

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#4 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the tips.  Okay, another question.  Let's just say that everything is right.  If I pour through one nostril and out through other.  the nostril that the water came out of gets stuffed up so that I can only do one side.  Either I have to wait a little 10-15 minutes to do the other nostril or just do it the next time I do the neti.  Why is this happening and is it normal?  Am I doing something wrong?  

Thx,

#5 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#6 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM

I found my angle was still a bit off. I asked my DH to watch the video with me and then watch me. He was able to gently correct my method and then all was golden. It was subtle, but magical.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 9 Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 PM

Definitely the angle! Also, here's what has worked for me -having the water be warmer than room temp, let the sea salt sit & dissolve for a few minutes, and try to pour slowly. When I do it too fast, I feel like my head is going to explode out the back.yikes2.gif  It's NOT pleasant!

When one side is plugged up and its not helping, I try the other first and keep going back to the side til it clears. It takes some practice but is worth it.

Also, my Eustachian tubes are a little gorked and I have a deviated septum. Any water can really cause issues if it goes into the wrong area, but perfecting the neti has really helped.

GL!

#8 of 9 Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 PM

I agree-don't use table salt-use the packets specially made for the neti. If the water does'nt come out it does'nt neccessarily mean there is more "gunk". It could mean that you are very congested-that your nasal passage and sinus tissue is all swollen. In that case don't use the neti or some water could get stuck in there and cause more problems. If the water is'nt flowing, the neti pot will do nothing.

#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 AM

When I am sick, and there is inflammation in my sinuses, neti (or store bought saline spray) BURNS ouch!  I actually don't use my neti pot anymore because I always had drainage problems. I never got enough of the moisture back out of my sinuses and that would in turn cause me more problems. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page