15 mo with cavities and was told not to night nurse.. anyone similar situation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Mothering Community! I am new to this, I have some questions about my sons teeth and continuing to breastfeed, and I knew joining Mothering and asking other natural mommy`s I would get some great answers.

I`ll start off with a little history. At about 15 months old, we noticed that there was some enamel chipping on my son`s top 4 teeth. He wasn`t in any pain at all, but I was quite worried about it. We saw a dentist and he told us it was baby bottle tooth decay or early childhood caries. My son has never had a bottle, and I was told night nursing does the same thing. He then told us there was nothing he could do until he was a little bit older and could sit in the chair without fussing to get them fixed. I wanted a second opinion so we looked for a pediatric dentist. He was even pushier about breastfeeding being the cause. He gave us an option to put our son under general anesthetic and get them fixed. We decided that we didn`t want to do that so we`ve been brushing regularly and putting a flouride rinse on his teeth twice a day. (we dip a q-tip in it and run it along his teeth, so there isn`t any swallowing) I tried for about a week to night wean him. As he nurses in the night 4-5 times usually. But he did not respond well to it. And I didn`t either :( He is back to nursing in the night, and I feel good about my decision to continue nursing in the night. However, I`m wondering if there is anyone out there that also continued nursing through the night when they`ve been told not to?? How did it turn out?? I`ve done so much research and I`m convinced that the good far outweighs the bad when it comes to nursing a child with cavities. Also I have ordered the "dental essentials" (www.thedentalessentials.com) hoping that will help. Anyone used it before?

If you have any tips or suggestions or just want to share your story, please do!!

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 AM

Try posting in the Dental subforum, you should get some responses.

#3 of 4 Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama4life14 View Post

Hello Mothering Community! I am new to this, I have some questions about my sons teeth and continuing to breastfeed, and I knew joining Mothering and asking other natural mommy`s I would get some great answers.

I`ll start off with a little history. At about 15 months old, we noticed that there was some enamel chipping on my son`s top 4 teeth. He wasn`t in any pain at all, but I was quite worried about it. We saw a dentist and he told us it was baby bottle tooth decay or early childhood caries. My son has never had a bottle, and I was told night nursing does the same thing. He then told us there was nothing he could do until he was a little bit older and could sit in the chair without fussing to get them fixed. I wanted a second opinion so we looked for a pediatric dentist. He was even pushier about breastfeeding being the cause. He gave us an option to put our son under general anesthetic and get them fixed. We decided that we didn`t want to do that so we`ve been brushing regularly and putting a flouride rinse on his teeth twice a day. (we dip a q-tip in it and run it along his teeth, so there isn`t any swallowing) I tried for about a week to night wean him. As he nurses in the night 4-5 times usually. But he did not respond well to it. And I didn`t either :( He is back to nursing in the night, and I feel good about my decision to continue nursing in the night. However, I`m wondering if there is anyone out there that also continued nursing through the night when they`ve been told not to?? How did it turn out?? I`ve done so much research and I`m convinced that the good far outweighs the bad when it comes to nursing a child with cavities. Also I have ordered the "dental essentials" (www.thedentalessentials.com) hoping that will help. Anyone used it before?

If you have any tips or suggestions or just want to share your story, please do!!

I'll second going to the dental forum.  For some children breastfeeding is the culprit, but it's not because breastfeeding is the issue.  It's the anatomy of their mouth.  When you lift the upper lip, if there's a thick or tight frenulum it can create pockets that hold the milk against the teeth, hastening decay.  It's not supposed to be tight-so it's not breastfeeding that is creating decay.  The milk isn't meant to pool and remain against the teeth. 

Some people choose (if that's the issue) to have it corrected and others compensate for it by wiping the teeth down after nursing and making sure those "pockets" are empty.  IN addition I like to use cell salts to help with the remineralization of the teeth.  There are certainly other tools out there too.  Best of luck.

#4 of 4 Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 PM

I still feed my son in the night occasionally, but we always rinse with water and brush his teeth before putting him back to sleep.  Although breastfeeding is wonderful, breast milk has sugars in it and, if left on the teeth, can cause cavities - especially if your child nurses every night.

ETA:  I looked at the dental essentials products you linked to.  It makes sense that if your child's diet is lacking in those nutrients, supplements may help reduce cavities.  However, if your child is already getting adequate nutrients, I doubt the additional amounts will help.  Even the strongest teeth can still get cavities if sugar is left on them overnight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page