Castor oil packs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Read about castor oil packs in a previous thread and have been reading all the info I can find on the interent.  I just started using these for some lymph nodes in my left armpit.  I've been doing them for about 3 nights now w a hot water bottle.  Anyone have any experience w castor oil packs? Can I use them too much? Is there side effects.  I'm not sure if the hot water bottle makes it warm enough.  Would more heat be better?  Also, read of someone mixing the oil w cayenne pepper but I'm sure that may sting especially in the armpit region.    I think the  nodes may have decreased in size a little.  I'd love to hear what other things anyone has used them for?  I also read about people using the oil on the face and it even helps reduce wrinkles.   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-19-2011, 11:58 AM

I soaked a strip of cotton fabric with castor oil and put that on my skin. Then, I covered it with plastic (part of a clean plastic grocery bag) and put a heating pad on top (rice pack heated in microwave). I used this for additional support while passing kidney stones last summer. It greatly helped with pain management.

The synergy of all the things I did got the kidney stones to pass with zero medical intervention.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 14 Old 03-19-2011, 12:44 PM

We love castor oil packs in this household. They are very very healing. They will cause some detoxing, so it's not recommended to do it for days on end without a break. I usually hear people recommend about three times a week for a chronic issue.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#4 of 14 Old 03-19-2011, 02:07 PM

I've used castor oil packs and they've worked very quickly.  Perhaps the water bottle isn't hot enough.  Do you have a heating pad?  That's what I used.  I put some castor oil on an old rag and covered it with a plastic grocery bag then placed the heating pad on top. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#5 of 14 Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

We love castor oil packs in this household. They are very very healing. They will cause some detoxing, so it's not recommended to do it for days on end without a break. I usually hear people recommend about three times a week for a chronic issue.

this.  heat helps, but it's not *necessary.*  It's far more pleasant that way though! 

I'd take a break and just do 3 times a week for now.

I use them and have others use them for any number of things.  cramps, bellyaches, ear infections, colds, bowel issues etc.  I also use castor oil on my face every day after I get out of the shower.  LOVE IT.

I would not use cayenne pepper FWIW. 

#6 of 14 Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.  I did do the pack last nght again and heated things up more with the mircrowave and used the hot water bottle.  But the lymph nodes are still there. So I will take a break w the castor oil although it is very nice and relaxing.  Will only do a few times a week.  I read that it can help w skin discoloration too.  I have a little spot that I am testing it on. 

#7 of 14 Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM

what about cell salts to help in a different way along with the castor oil?

#8 of 14 Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

what about cell salts to help in a different way along with the castor oil?

Yes, I have been meaning to get back to the cell salt forum.   What would be best? I thought I remember reading calc fluor being good for something like this? Can't remember?  I love using the cell salts.  Thanks for your help. 

#9 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM

yes, I'd do calc fluor or silica depending on the issue....my bet would be on calc fluor first though.

#10 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I also use castor oil on my face every day after I get out of the shower.  LOVE IT.

I would not use cayenne pepper FWIW. 

Does it make your face oily or break out? Do you dilute it with anything?
#11 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 AM

I don't and it doesn't.  most recommend mixing it with almond oil or something.  I don't bother.  another option is to massage it into your face before taking a shower and it can pull things out.  LOVELY stuff!

It's thick and looks a bit greasy for about a half hour-be forewarned!  Best case scenario-which I NEVER do is shower at night, put on the oil and then by morning you'll be nice and glowy.

#12 of 14 Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

yes, I'd do calc fluor or silica depending on the issue....my bet would be on calc fluor first though.

Could I just ask you how many times a day you think I should take the calc fluor ?   Just replenished my supply tonight. Also, picked up some Mag phos for my TMJ.  I don't know where all this

came from but all my problems are on the left side of my body-so weird.

#13 of 14 Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I went to meet w the Dr who read my ultrasound and the mamomgram.  He examined the bumps under my arm and confirmed it is an inclusion cyst and the lymph node is just reacting to it.

So I am relieved.   He said to do warm compresses on the area.  I wonder if I should still do the castor oil packs? 

#14 of 14 Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM

I would!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page