Think I may be Hypothyroid - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid years ago at age 18 by a combo naturopath/MD  and was put on meds for it.  When I went back to my family doctor to get a prescription renewal and he told me I didn`t have a thyroid problem, he made no secret he thought naturopaths were quacks.  A few years later while having trouble with IF I got my new doc to run a thryoid test, he only did TSH and it came back at about 5, which he said was fine.  I ended up getting pg after 2 yrs ttc, then had my 2nd after a year ttc.  Our 3rd took 3+ yrs and fertility treatments. I`ve always had symptoms of hypo, but the last year has been much worse.  I fall asleep all the time- I`ve nearly given up going to evening church services because no matter what I fall asleep, can`t withstand the cold, have very low energy, prone to low mood, have had so much trouble with my weight (gained 20 lbs and I cannot get it off despite diet and exercise) and my cycles are totally unpredictable, anovulatory.  So I`ve been looking it up online and didn`t realize just how much of the symptoms I have that I didn`t know were potentially linked to hypothyroidism as I went through a few checklists- high cholesterol (just slightly high, and that was when my weight was good), my eyes have been so sensitive to light and one has a tic that is driving me mad- I even went to the eye doc about it and he said my eyes were healthy, my hair and skin are dry, and I have had so much trouble concentrating lately and losing my words- just really forgetful.  So I am going to go to my doc about it and maybe bring the checklist with me.  He is an old school British doc, he probably still thinks that a TSH level of 5 is just fine.  I`m so shy and I don`t want to offend my doc, so I`m not sure how to get across that I need help for this, and we also are ttc our 4th child, but just on our own this time- no REs, no IUIs and shots (don`t have the $ or the fortitude to go through it again, if I could just get my cycles to cooperate we might have a long shot.  (I also have endo and was diagnosed with PCOS but not treated for it)  

Does it sound likely I am hypothyroid?  If it turns out that my bloodwork shows I am hypothyroid and my doc is willing to treat it-  are meds the right answer?  If so, which one?  Thanks!

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well I don't think blood tests will be the issue - because your blood tests can show certain things but most allopathic mainstream doctors will not recognize that one is hypothyroid unless the numbers are CLEARLY of the the outdated ranges. So if they don't recognize it, no matter what you say, they are not likely to treat you based on symptoms alone. They are more likley to tell you you are depressed or search doe some other cause of your fatigue and other symptoms. Even if they did agree to treat you, they would likely prescribe t4 only medications like synthroid, which IMO, is NOT the way to go. I spent YEARS on this wasting time until I found an MD who is into alternative medicine as well. He diagnosed me as hypothyriod (and adrenal fatigue) and I am now on armour and feeling terrific. I would run as fast and as far as I could from any doctor that labeled an ND as a quack. They do not have to agree with natural medicine, but to disrespect something they don;t understand is a huge red flag. This doctor will likely not take into consideration your concerns and will rely solely on outdated lab ranges. A TSH of 5, coupled with all of your symptoms is a problem.

Please check out this website

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, it gives me a lot to look into.  It was my MD as a teen that called the ND a quack, my family doc now is much more open minded about chiro, midwives, homeopathy, etc- but I wouldn`t be surprised if he still thinks a TSH of 5 is fine, and he never tested for more than just my TSH.  I`m not depressed, just feel down sometimes, which isn`t like me.  Dh has suggested I go to a ND after all, he said we`ll pay out of pocket if it means I get the treatment I need! :)  So, I guess I will start shopping around....  Any other tips?

#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It may be different in Canada but in the state where I live ND's cannot prescribe - so that's why I had to find an open minded MD. I also go to an ND for most other things.

Only other thing I can advise is make sure whoever you see runs all those tests that are suggested (from STTM). You need to see the whole picture, not just the TSH.

Also take your Basal Body temp for 5 days and record it. Preferably day 2-6 of your cycle before ovulation. Low body temp is often an indicator of hypothyroid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJewelsRae View Post

Thank you so much, it gives me a lot to look into.  It was my MD as a teen that called the ND a quack, my family doc now is much more open minded about chiro, midwives, homeopathy, etc- but I wouldn`t be surprised if he still thinks a TSH of 5 is fine, and he never tested for more than just my TSH.  I`m not depressed, just feel down sometimes, which isn`t like me.  Dh has suggested I go to a ND after all, he said we`ll pay out of pocket if it means I get the treatment I need! :)  So, I guess I will start shopping around....  Any other tips?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 PM

By many standards a tsh of 5 is considered hypo. I agree w/ pp about the t4vonly meds like

synthroid - they caised my adrenals to tank after a couple years on them. I am feeling great on Armour now.

That website Stop The Thyroid Madness is a great resource. Try not to get overwhelmed w/ all th einfo.

The most important thing IMO is to find a HCP that will let you try dessicated thryroid and let you dose

by symptom elimination rather than by TSH levels.

Keep a list of all your symptoms and chart your temps so that you can show all this to new doc.

#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that website is really informative- it`s perfect!  Thanks :)   I`ve always had low body temps, I used to chart my temps for years while ttc and tried to tell my doc about how low my temps were along with other symptoms.   Not sure if I will go the ND route after all, since I don`t think they can prescribe meds, the one I saw years ago was a combo ND/MD so he could give out both herbs and vitamins as well as prescription drugs.  I don`t want to sit on a waiting list for months to see an endocrinologist who wants to tell me what to do instead of work with me.  My MIL knows a pharmacist at a compounding pharmacy who talked to her extensively about her health issues and wrote her a list of what to ask her doctor (same as mine) to test for and apparently the doc was very open to it, and even consulted with the "apothecary" on the specific drugs he recommended, so I think I`m going to visit this guy before I do anything else.  Hopefully he knows as much as I hope he does!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page