Why no yeast allowed on the "Candida Diet"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeast don't eat yeast, right? And Brewer's or Baker's yeast are not candida... I don't get it. I've made so many TF diet changes in an effort to improve our health, which includes getting rid of candida. Most of the TFs are fermented, which means they contain a lot of yeast. How could these things rid you of candida (or rather balance you, I suppose) AND they tell you you can't have leavened bread? I just don't get it.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still wondering if anybody knows this. I recently read a book (I've read about 50 books on nutrition and various health topics, WAP-style, since December) that mentioned "beneficial yeast" (referring to Brewer's Yeast) like they mention "beneficial bacteria". I am thinking that those who tell you to avoid yeast are mistaken, or outdated, and that avoiding yeast food (sugar) is really what you want to do if you are trying to eliminate candida. Being Brewers Yeast is such a powerhouse of vitamins, I REALLY don't want to eliminate it, especially since it's already dead, if I don't have to.

Thoughts/input/ideas?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#3 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

I'm still wondering if anybody knows this. I recently read a book (I've read about 50 books on nutrition and various health topics, WAP-style, since December) that mentioned "beneficial yeast" (referring to Brewer's Yeast) like they mention "beneficial bacteria". I am thinking that those who tell you to avoid yeast are mistaken, or outdated, and that avoiding yeast food (sugar) is really what you want to do if you are trying to eliminate candida. Being Brewers Yeast is such a powerhouse of vitamins, I REALLY don't want to eliminate it, especially since it's already dead, if I don't have to.

Thoughts/input/ideas?

I believe the issue is that if someone has yeast overgrowth, they will usually develop a yeast sensitivity, since their body has to fight the overgrowth like any other infection, and because leaky gut is often a problem with candida. While candida isn't the same as S. cerevisiae, the usual yeast in beer, bread, etc., the immune system often cross-reacts to it in the diet. This was my experience.

Yeast is a common allergen, and consuming any food to which you are sensitive will cause immune reactions, especially in the gut, and make it more difficult to get rid of candida. Also, some people think that yeast feed on their own waste, so they might also feed on each other.

I would eliminate it for a few weeks, and then reintroduce it and seeing how you feel.

Do you eat liver? That is also a powerhouse of vitamins, and other nutrients.

S. boulardii is a beneficial yeast that helps fight candida, and it is excellent to use for bread yeast. So, if you really want baked goods, you could use it to make sourdough starter. It is available as a supplement, and you can just empty the capsules (I think I used 6) into the starter. Milk kefir yeast is also supposed to fight candida.

#4 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent! Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have been drinking water kefir (milk allergies here) and been planning to begin making sour dough with the water kefir. Thank you so much!

ETA: NO I do not eat liver. It makes me puke, literally. I tried cutting the frozen liver into pill sized pieces and doing it that way but I could still taste it and gagged too badly. I'm thinking about dehydrating, pulverizing and encapsulating, but have not had the time (5 kids aged 6 months to 9 years).

#5 of 6 Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Excellent! Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have been drinking water kefir (milk allergies here) and been planning to begin making sour dough with the water kefir. Thank you so much!

ETA: NO I do not eat liver. It makes me puke, literally. I tried cutting the frozen liver into pill sized pieces and doing it that way but I could still taste it and gagged too badly. I'm thinking about dehydrating, pulverizing and encapsulating, but have not had the time (5 kids aged 6 months to 9 years).

Just noticed this post.  I like liver, but when I'm pregnant I take Dr. Ron's organ blend.

Also, there are several anti-candida probiotics out there, including one by Dr. Ron and the one that all the GAPS people take: BioCult, I think.  Water kefir and kombucha might still have too much sugar in it and any sort of grain will aggravate candida, even if it's soaked/sourdough.

#6 of 6 Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 AM

Just wanted to let you know I just posted a question regarding Anti Candida diet and TF in the TF forum. As far as I know there are some differences in the approach.

In my case I was mostly curious about the femented foods and dairy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page