What is up with my immune system? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my immune system.  I've posted this on a couple groups I'm on so I apologize if you see this more than once. 

I had my son at home 8 weeks ago. I'm on my 4th cold since his birth (the first started 2 days post-partum). This current one has been the worst so far. Sinuses, fever, sore throat, cough and this morning, TWO cold sores, one on each side of my upper lip.

I lost a bit of blood with his birth due to a sticky placenta and a tear that involved a blood vessel. I know that being anemic can weaken your immune system, but by 2 wks PP my hemoglobin had gone from 6.9 to 9.6 with the help of Floravital, Vit C and encapsulated placenta. I figure by now it has to be close to, if not, normal. I've continued to take Floravital on and off and Vitamin C (usually about 3 - 9 grams per day, depending, more during the other colds).

With this current bout of germs, I took almost 30 grams of Sodium Ascorbate the first day (Sunday) and did NOT reach bowel tolerance. It eased up my symptoms a bit, but yesterday I didn't take as much and I got worse. Since midnight last night I've taken 44 GRAMS and have not reached bowel tolerance yet. I plan to take 8 grams every 3-4 hrs until something gives. I don't know what else to do.

I'm tired of being sick. All of this illness is on top of a really horrible recovery from the birth involving untreated tears and muscle and nerve damage that are requiring physical therapy.

I can't figure out what the hell is going on w/my immune system. I am never, ever this sick. I get maybe one or two colds throughout the year max, and rarely as severe as this.

Help - what can I do to strengthen/balance my immune system? My diet is really clean of my allergens (corn, wheat, soy, dairy, most fruits), now removing eggs which seems to be helping us both (baby isn't spitting up as much!). It's not pollen allergy season here so that's not playing a role yet.

I'll eat/do/take whatever to keep myself from getting sick (and to keep the baby from getting sick). I just want to be back to normal enough so I can at the very least parent my children. I feel like a horrible parent because I've been so debilitated  by the birth recovery and back to back illness I really can't do anything w/them and am relying on partner a TON with the older two which is great, but he's not their mom (or their dad even). And it's stressful on him b/c he's looking for work and between the kids and me and doctors appointments it really impacts his ability to focus (though I don't know what we would have done if he hadn't lost his job - weird thing to be grateful for).

I appreciate any thoughts/ideas you have.

Oh, and is Olive Leaf Extract safe for breastfeeding?  I was thinking of taking some to address the damn cold sores, but wasn't sure if it was "safe". 

Thanks!

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM

Wow, you've had a lot to deal with! Big hugs!

It sounds like your diet is good. I love olive leaf and took it while breastfeeding. Actually it was in an immune tonic I took which was awesome. If you're not comfortable taking it now then perhaps homeopathy? Do you have a naturopath?

#3 of 6 Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 PM

So sorry you're dealing with this. You seem to have a lot of food restrictions. Just curious, what are your main sources of protein?

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post

Wow, you've had a lot to deal with! Big hugs!

It sounds like your diet is good. I love olive leaf and took it while breastfeeding. Actually it was in an immune tonic I took which was awesome. If you're not comfortable taking it now then perhaps homeopathy? Do you have a naturopath?

I have used homepathy in the past and have dabbled this post-partum period and haven't had much luck.  I feel like I'd need to see my old homeopath to have her look at my whole picture, but I just don't have the funds to do that right now.   I don't have a naturopath.  I think mostly I just need to vent about how ridiculous this post-partum period has been for me... definitely not what I expected after a vbac (thought it would be a cake walk compared to a c/s recovery).  Thanks for the confirmation on the OLE; I figured it was safe, but google was fruitless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Metis View Post

So sorry you're dealing with this. You seem to have a lot of food restrictions. Just curious, what are your main sources of protein?

I eat meat (lately more venison, but also chicken, fish and beef, no pork).  And I also have rice protein shakes in the mornings sometimes.  Otherwise I eat nuts, other whole grains (mostly rice, but some amaranth and quinoa occasionally), veggies, greens, etc.  

I'm feeling better this week.  Still ill feeling (sore throat, stuffy, etc).  Still taking lots of vitamin C, but less.  I'm looking forward to getting outside now that it's a little nicer here.  

Do people still use echinacea to boost their immune system or is there something new/better?  My immune system has been in such good shape for years that I haven't really had to worry about it.  Maybe my body is playing catch up... heh.  

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#5 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM

hug.gif Sounds like you're doing what you can!  Could your vitamin D levels be low? The only other things I can think of are the basics - hydration and sleep. Not sure what kind of climate you're in, but I know for me, dried out nasal passages almost guarantee a cold, so I use a humidifier. (But spring is on it's way!) And lastly, 8 weeks really isn't long when your body is healing, especially with a significant blood loss. Hang in there! If things don't improve, maybe get your thyroid levels looked at, just in case? 

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Hugs to you mama, sounds like you are going through a lot! Here's a good list of food and herbs for immune system health. Get well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page