baby with one kidney has level 2 reflux - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there~ just wondering if anyone has a baby with only one kidney who also has kidney reflux?? If so, any advice.. My baby is 2 mths. old and was born missing her left kidney.  We recently did a VCUG to make sure that there was no reflux in her only kidney and we found out that she does indeed have level 2 reflux (meaning urine goes back up into the kidney)... we are seeing nephrologist & urologist next week, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this... if so any advice/ thank you much!

#2 of 5 Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#3 of 5 Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 AM

hi. my baby was born with multicysitc kidney. basically she has two kidneys, but only one of them works because the other is full of cysts.....

I have had very mixed messages from the doctors. some say that a doing a VCUG on her isn't necessary, whereas others say that it is. so  i don't know what to do. :(

she's had a ton of ultrasound scans and a dye scan (to confirm there;s no kidney function in the cystic kidney.) and so i'm a bit fed up of them all!

i may get her tested if i keep worrying about it. i think (from memory, one of the docs told me) that most cases of VUR are mild in kids. but of course if it's severe it can cause further damage to the remaining functioning kidney, which would be a disaster.

#4 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM

Our pediatric nephrologist told us not to get the VCUG.  Instead she monitors my DD with annual ultrasounds.  I also used d-mannose (NOW brand) to prevent infections, but now that she's 3 and has not had any issues since she was 11 months old, I no longer use it (I keep it in the house just in case).  

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM

the current recommendation is to not do a vcug unless there are repeated uti's. and daily antibiotics are not recommended for level 3 and below without repeated uti's. many urologists are behind the times regarding this issue. ours included.

however, i do not know how i would handle this with only one kidney. my reaction is to continue handling it the way we are now with two kidneys and level 2/3 reflux- no more vcug and no daily antibiotics.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page