She seems fine but wont stop puking and pooping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my DD is three and a half. On Thursday after daycare she napped for a few hours and woke up and puked. So I kept her home friday. She puked and had diarrhea a few times but was playful and happy and had no fever. I figured it was something she ate at daycare that she usually doesn't were vegetarian and she doesn't drink milk. Even odder on Saturday she ate like a horse and kept having diarrhea, still no fever and said 'i'm okay mommy'. Today she is still having diarrhea and vomited twice. 

Neither the baby nor I have any signs or symptoms of stomach flu and I think we would have come down with it by now. I'm taking her to the Dr in the morning but would like to hear if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with her. Right now she is asking for pizza! I hope she'll settle for Miso soup instead...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 PM

The odds are strongly stacked in favor of a virus. There is a 48 to 72 hour incubation period, so its possible you or your baby might see symptoms starting pretty soon, but with any luck you have managed to avoid it.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM

I never do posts like this, but its worth everyone being aware, and I realize this is HIGHLY unlikely, but --  keep an eye on her for ecoli poisoning, which can be ecoli 0157, which can turn into HUS. I ONLY mention this because this "rare" occurrence has happened to two 3 year olds in our area. I am so not trying to freak you out - it is probably/almost certainly a fleeting virus. But it is worth mentioning only because HUS gets too little press as a major consequence of food borne illness, and it's awful.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

what is HUS? 

Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post

I never do posts like this, but its worth everyone being aware, and I realize this is HIGHLY unlikely, but --  keep an eye on her for ecoli poisoning, which can be ecoli 0157, which can turn into HUS. I ONLY mention this because this "rare" occurrence has happened to two 3 year olds in our area. I am so not trying to freak you out - it is probably/almost certainly a fleeting virus. But it is worth mentioning only because HUS gets too little press as a major consequence of food borne illness, and it's awful.

This is fear mongering. A child with HUS (Hemolyic Uremic Syndrome) is likely to be very, very sick. When a child develops HUS one of the likely causes is istrogenic.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 AM

Rotavirus would be my first suspect. Vomiting and diarrhea together are nearly always infectious, and rotavirus is the most common cause in children under 5 who haven't been exposed to bad water supplies. You probably wouldn't show symptoms, since most adults have at least partial immunity. The baby would likely be protected from your milk. It brings vomiting and diarrhea that can sometimes hang on for several days, and the diarrhea can even sometimes hang on for two weeks. Sometimes, a child will be tired and have fever, but often, especially if the child has had it before, the illness will be mild enough that the child will continue playing normally, and seem fine other than the vomiting and diarrhea. It's extremely common-- almost every child has at least one episode by five years old. And it's self-limiting-- all you need to do is to watch carefully for dehydration, if the vomiting and diarrhea are frequent, or the child is refusing fluids. Other than that, it's just a matter of time. It is spread by the fecal-oral route, so careful handwashing is the key to keep from passing it on to others. Each subsequent infection brings milder and milder symptoms, until by the time they are teenagers, when most kids only have asymptomatic infections.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies mamas! I am thinking she might have salmonilla because she was playing with eggs the other day. I totally forgot about that until last night. Well were off to the Dr.s

Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

This is fear mongering. A child with HUS (Hemolyic Uremic Syndrome) is likely to be very, very sick. When a child develops HUS one of the likely causes is istrogenic.

It is absolutely not fear mongering, and I'm offended at the suggestion. It's merely making someone aware that there are a million variables to an illness.

I know what HUS looks like, I assure you. It starts out as a routine illness, and often parents are given the "its a virus going around" reason. It's very insidious, but if caught early manageable and curable.

Please, know what you are talking about before you post. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. I would.

User Tag List