Need a serious plan to deal w DS's high fevers-help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS came down with a fever last night again.  His friend who gave it to him last week had the fever for 2 days but nothing high. Ds as usual has a fever ranging up to 106- more if I let it go.  I know fevers are good but when they get to 106 and your child is utterly miserable what do I do. He hates being cooled w a wash cloth.  I could never get him into a bath.  He is just too miserable.  His heart is pounding, body trembling and his face flushed I reach out for Motrin. I've tried wrapping his feet in eggs etc etc.  All those folk remedies.  About 6 wks ago him and his friends had the fever for 6 days. I gave him Motrin for atleast 4 of those days and I felt horrible.  I think it spurred my TMJ thats how much I worried.  I was using the cell salts but I know for high temps I need something more.  I meant to get some Belladonna but I missed the boat again.  If I ran out and got some Belladonna right now would it help him? If not can I still give him the motrin?  When you are dealing w fevers this high it gets really difficult.  I'm all for fevers running their course but at 106 its frightening.  Help!!   Why does my child get these high fevers?  He is very healthy otherwise.  I need a serious plan b/c at preschool there is another around the corner.  Yesterday,when I saw the cold coming on I gave him SA, Elderberry, Echinacea all day but it did nothing. 

#2 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Yikes! I seldom medicate for a fever, but my daughter never has fevers over 103 or so. I would absolutley be worried and medicate for a 106 fever.
What does your health care practicioner have to say about his tendancy toward high fevers.
#3 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Personally, I would never be comfortable letting my son's fever get that high.  I know that fevers are there to burn an infection but whoa!  that's scary.  If it were my son, I would be giving tylenol or motrin at 103.  Have you talked to your son's pediatrician about this? 

Hugs mama...that's gotta be scary. 

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#4 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Third poster that's would be very, very worried. 106 is way too high *shrug* and I'd be calling my Peds hotline to ask

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#5 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 PM

My daughter seems to run higher fevers -- she just had a virus of some sort where she was up to 105 at night. From what I understand, fevers are most effective in the 100-102 range. Motrin generally brings her fever down right to that level. If your son is miserable, I would absolutely give the Motrin.

ETA: I would also call the ped just to get their input. Mine isn't so much concerned about the number, but is concerned if it doesn't come down with medication. Also, from what I understand 107 is getting to the point of possible brain damage, so I wouldn't take any chances leaving it near there.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#6 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Are you saying that the fever was 106 (or would have been without the Motrin) for 6 days?  I'd definitely take that up with a doctor.  Some kids just run scary high fevers when they are sick -- my sister was like that -- but 6 days of extreme fever does seem worrisome.  (Also, as a general rule, a baby/child who has been sick and begun to recover but then takes a turn for the worse again should be evaluated by a doctor asap.  Secondary things can be going on at that point and the situation can worsen rapidly if it turns out to be something serious.  It's not always, but it's a good precaution to take.)  

Please don't feel bad that you are treating your suffering child with medication!  I often felt completely miserable and even frightened as a child when I had a bad fever, and I would never wish that on any child. For run-of-the-mill fevers, some comfort, rest, and a cool washcloth are all that is needed, but for serious fever, I say hurray for modern medicine!  I think the issue is that people over-use that stuff, not that we should *never* use it.  That said, 4 days is a long time to be on fever-reducing meds, and if it were me, I would take him in to see someone the next time he got a very high fever that hung on for more than a couple of days. 

Good luck to both of you!  I hope you get to the bottom of it.  (Or at least find out that's just how he reacts to illness and discover the best way to deal.)  hug2.gif

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#7 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ds has always run high fevers.  I know there was another thread going a while ago about other kids who tend to get high fevers.  From what I have read is that it is a sign of a strong immune system.  Now if that is true I do not know.    I told my pedi last time we saw him that he has run high fevers since he was a baby and he was not concerned.  Supposedly the body has a point and it will not go over 107.  And that it causes brain damage is not true.  I have lots if links on the benefits of a fever and that it is good.  I do know and believe that.  He actually got up to 106.4 and probably even higher at times.  I ended up giving him tylenol  and am going to alternate that w the motrin. I don't feel good about giving one thing over and over especially since this last bug all the kids got lasted for a week.   He is very cool and normal right now but the problem w the meds is that when they start wearing off the fever spikes again.  I got the belladonna 30c tonight but I'm not sure if its pointless at this time.  Hopefully, this will only last a day or two like most of the bugs.

#8 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties View Post

Are you saying that the fever was 106 (or would have been without the Motrin) for 6 days?  I'd definitely take that up with a doctor.  Some kids just run scary high fevers when they are sick -- my sister was like that -- but 6 days of extreme fever does seem worrisome.  (Also, as a general rule, a baby/child who has been sick and begun to recover but then takes a turn for the worse again should be evaluated by a doctor asap.  Secondary things can be going on at that point and the situation can worsen rapidly if it turns out to be something serious.  It's not always, but it's a good precaution to take.)  

Please don't feel bad that you are treating your suffering child with medication!  I often felt completely miserable and even frightened as a child when I had a bad fever, and I would never wish that on any child. For run-of-the-mill fevers, some comfort, rest, and a cool washcloth are all that is needed, but for serious fever, I say hurray for modern medicine!  I think the issue is that people over-use that stuff, not that we should *never* use it.  That said, 4 days is a long time to be on fever-reducing meds, and if it were me, I would take him in to see someone the next time he got a very high fever that hung on for more than a couple of days. 

Good luck to both of you!  I hope you get to the bottom of it.  (Or at least find out that's just how he reacts to illness and discover the best way to deal.)  hug2.gif

The last fever all the kids had around here lasted 5-6 days.  He was not running a fever of 106 the entire time.    I know my friends DS also got up to 104 or so. Anyway's not worried about the last virus.      Ds's fevers reached 106 and this has been the pattern since he was a baby. He is now 4.5 yrs old.   If the fever lasts numerous days I take him to the pedi just to get checked out.  The Dr usually says its just a virus.    I'm just looking for ways to bring the fever down to a reasonable level without using meds.   I have a friend and she gives her daughter tylenol if she just thinks she is coming down w something.  That is crazy IMO. 

#9 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM

DD1 used to spike a temp of 105-107 (never got higher then that) at the drop of a hat with illness. That was just her and the way her body handled it. She is 8 now and she hasn't had a high temp like that in a few years. We consulted with an ND and created a fever treatment plan for her, several children and years later, I no longer remember all of it. redface.gif We didn't use regular fever meds though. Homopathic belladonna was the big one that ALWAYS brought her fever down. We just tried to keep it under 103. It was something like 1-2 pellets every 30 minutes until we reached 103. So yes there are other options out there, I'd try an ND and see what they would suggest. 

DD1 didn't start school until later , 6.5y old, and she hadn't been living in a bubble until then, she certainly had her fair share of illness so I wasn't prepared for just how many bugs she did get that first year. It was constant. Now though, she hasn't had anything more then a sniffle this entire school year despite the younger siblings getting knocked down with one nasty thing after another. 4y DD2 dabbled in preschool off and on this year and it was like a new week and a new illness brought home once again. eyesroll.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Peony- Thats exactly what I need a fever plan.  DS started preschool this yr so he is getting his share.  Thanks for your input.

#11 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

My daughter (6) had a fever of 105 in February. I had been giving her Motrin on and off the week before for low grade fever and ear pain (ear infection). I wasn't happy about giving it to her, but there were times she wouldn't go back to sleep if I didn't give it to her. Anyway, when she got up to 105 I called my homeopath. She said no more Motrin unless she was in a lot of discomfort. She was mostly sleeping, would wake up and say she felt good when asked, would take a sip of water and go back to sleep. My homeopath prescribed Belladonna 30c (3 pellets dissolved in 1/4-1/2 cup of water), 1 tsp every 30 minutes. We did three doses and she seemed a little better. An hour or so later she woke, threw up and then was up talking and obviously feeling better. Next day fever stayed about 101. So, I would likely do the Belladonna every 30 minutes if her fever got that high again. I am a big believer in watching the child more than the number, but it still is scary to see the numbers get that high. Hope your LO is feeling better.

#12 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcintexas View Post

My daughter (6) had a fever of 105 in February. I had been giving her Motrin on and off the week before for low grade fever and ear pain (ear infection). I wasn't happy about giving it to her, but there were times she wouldn't go back to sleep if I didn't give it to her. Anyway, when she got up to 105 I called my homeopath. She said no more Motrin unless she was in a lot of discomfort. She was mostly sleeping, would wake up and say she felt good when asked, would take a sip of water and go back to sleep. My homeopath prescribed Belladonna 30c (3 pellets dissolved in 1/4-1/2 cup of water), 1 tsp every 30 minutes. We did three doses and she seemed a little better. An hour or so later she woke, threw up and then was up talking and obviously feeling better. Next day fever stayed about 101. So, I would likely do the Belladonna every 30 minutes if her fever got that high again. I am a big believer in watching the child more than the number, but it still is scary to see the numbers get that high. Hope your LO is feeling better.

Thanks so I can start the Belladonna even after using Motrin and Tylenol.    It seems the Motrin is upseting his stomach so I want to stop.  Just worried its going to get super high and then what. I'm going to try the Belladonna.  So only 3 pellets?  So when you say doses you did the 3 pellets 3 times in 1/4 cup water during the day. I'm sure we are going to need the maximum dose.  Online the directions said 5 pellets wonder is I should do the 5 pellets since his fever has been getting up very high.

#13 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 AM

I know that I had given her Motrin earlier that afternoon--before the 105 reading. I dissolved three pellets in the 1/4-1/2 cup of water and gave her a teaspoon full. Kept the water/pellet mixture and gave subsequent doses from that same mix. It is my understanding that dissolving the pellets in the water makes the potency higher. My homeopath is half way across the country so she can't just run over with a remedy. I have a kit of 30c remedies. Sometimes she has us take them as pellets, other times after dissolving in water, and other times she mails us 200c or M. Now my DD had never had a fever that high before. Your son normally runs that high, so maybe he will react differently/need a different remedy...but I say it's worth a try. Hope you both find relief soon. I know how stressful it can be. In fact your posts about your health/stress remind me a bit of me. I lost 8 pounds over a two week period while we were trying to get rid of this ear infection in my daughter--that included this 105 fever. Take care of yourself as well!

#14 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I've just given him 2 teaspoons- 1 every half hour.  He is sleeping now and I know the fever is high.  Coming off the Tylenol. This is what really worries me  I'm afraid even to check.  I'll just give him something which he will probably just throw up anyways.  Thanks for your help. Its is very stressful.

#15 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I did  3 teaspoons waited and his temp shot up to 107.3. He was flushed and extremely hot.    I gave him the motrin.  Now he's playing.  I'm hoping this fever breaks soon.

#16 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 PM

how's he doing now?  I hope better!  Did you try the Belladonna again?  Those high fever #s would be very scary for me to see.  My little ones feel hot with fevers in the 102s and 103s... I gave Motrin then when they were having a hard time sleeping/getting remotely comfortable.  I can't imagine how hot he must have felt (to you).  Poor guy!

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#17 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Its been very stessful. He is still running high fevers.  I have had to give him fever reducers the entire time or it climbs rapidly very high-reached 107.  Called the Dr on Tues and said that there is  a virus going around causing only high fevers.  Also, heard kids in his class have been ill but I don't have any details.  So tommorow if he is not better I am taking him to the Dr first thing.  He has no other real symptoms other than an occassional cough -very seldom though.  Its so frustrating because he has been a very healthy little boy.  No allergies nothing.  Eats so much better than any of his friends.

Makes my heart so sad to see him sick.  I just don't understand.  I have not tried the belladonna again b/c I think his fevers are just too high.  They escalate too rapidly. If it were only 104 I would try the belladonna again.  I am really down on natural healing right now.  I feel like Ihave no choice but to give him the meds which is very frustrating too me.  I don;t mind giving it for a day or two but not for this long.  So frustrated and worried.

Thanks for asking.

#18 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I just checked on him and he is cool.  No fever.  Thank heavens.  Its been one of the most stressful weeks I've ever had.  Now to recover and get healthy again. 

#19 of 19 Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM

wow!  :(  so sorry!  we had a recent cold that was pretty yucky, but not quite as long lasting as yours.  I understand your frustration w/ natural approaches.  I feel that sometimes, too.  I am thankful for modern medicine, though.  I just try to avoid having to use it w/ other tactics, I guess.  But I always wonder, "should I have tried ___ or ____?"  And at the same time know that I'm doing the best I can for my kids with what I have/know.  Hope your little boy keeps feeling better!!!  We're still in recovery mode - take time and rest as much as you both can!  We're still not back to routine...

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page