Breast Abscess/Galatocele - stress, detox, supplements, herbal remedy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We moved to a new state in November (amid extreme anxiety/stress on my part as I wasn't prepared to make this move) with our 4 children, the youngest being 6 months at the time.  I noticed what was likely a plugged duct in early December and treated it as such.  Around Christmas it turned into mastitis where the milk was backed up to close to my armpit and I treated it by nursing more frequently, massage, hot showers, etc.  When it subsided, I was left with a more pronounced lump that moves around very easily behind the areola. Mastitis started to set in again in February but I was able to curtail it again; I continued massage, began taking sunflower lecithin (still take it now), went to see a massage therapist who deals with some breast issues, treated with Phytolacca 30C and Hepar Sulphur 30C (continued to do so for the past 2-3 weeks) to try out as a homeopathic treatment. 

I've searched high and low for information online and went to see a general practitioner (about 10 weeks ago) in the area who obviously has no idea what I'm talking about.  I requested an ultrasound and was told I can't have an ultrasound unless I have a mammogram first. I refused and have been back to searching on my own.

It has been about the size of a kiwi, to a golf ball, to about the size of a large apple last week while I was sick with a cough/cold/flu-like symptoms.  Now that I'm feeling better (aside from a residual cough, the apple-size has gone back to about the kiwi size).  When I had taken the Phytolacca/Hepar Sulphur for a few days, it was down to the size of a ping-pong ball and was a very different texture.  It felt like if you held a pinch around it that you could feel the shift inside of a very thick liquid after holding pressure on it for awhile. 

2 weeks ago, I was back to kellymom and thought I had an abscess. 
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/breast-abscess.html

However, after contacting a local LLL leader, she referred me to a pediatrician in the area who is the LLL leader go-to medical person when they have questions.  I emailed the doctor and she called me back literally within 2 minutes of clicking "send".  I can't tell you how encouraging that was after months of discouragement.  Just by talking with her on the phone, she said that if it was an abscess, I'd be "flat on my back in pain."  She believes it is a galactocele and told me about an ob/gyn she knows who is pro-breast-health/BF.  My appt with her is scheduled for this Thursday so I'm hoping she will allow for "just" an u/s (even though it is with the same healthcare system) and I'm hoping she has some information to help me figure out what to do.  I'm not holding my breathe though, so that's why I'm here looking for my own answers/solutions with your assistance.

My (now) 10-1/2-month-old continues to nurse frequently and I don't want or plan to stop nursing.  I just need to know what to do.  In general, I have a high pain tolerance but it isn't always painful, just that tender pain where you don't want to be bumped or pressed on too hard or long.  When it got large-apple-size while I was sick this past week, THAT was painful; my whole breast ached.  Now that we are back to kiwi-size, it is just sensitive to touch again.

From what I've read online, if it is a galactocele, it's debatable whether it should be drained or not and whether eventual surgical removal is necessary or not.  If drained, it typically fills up again.  Somewhere I read that they resolve on their own after nursing and in other places it says you need to have it surgically removed.  I REALLY don't want any type of surgical removal but how do I get rid of it?

We are in the workings of becoming more "traditional" (Sally Fallon) eaters and so far we soak about 40% of what we eat (nut/grain).  I was considering trying gluten-free to see if removing anything potentially inflammatory in my diet would help.  I take Dr. Mercola's multi-vitamins and probiotics, D3 5000, Trivita sublingual b-12 & Nopalea, (gf) Wheat-grass daily, Krill oil...

What else do you need to know about me to offer suggestions?  I willing to try anything to get rid of this thing and even without testing, I'm 99% sure it is not cancerous because the size changes from time to time (and because it got big so fast).

When I look at my breasts, the left side looks more lopsided now and I can see/feel where this lump is getting closer to the areola and fear it will get worse if it gets "too close" and block more than the single duct (I assume) if it does come right up to the nipple.  Ugh.  I'm just so frustrated with trying to figure this out on my own. 

Has anyone else dealt with this or have any suggestions?  Supplements, herbs, detox, anything?

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for anything you can suggest that will point me in a helpful direction.

User Tag List