Treating Croup at home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-15-2002, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP!!! DD, 16 mo old, woke up this a.m. sounding croupy. She had the croup 4 months ago for several days--we did the 20 min in the steamy bathroom several times a day but it didn't seem to help too much. It being our first time dealing w/the illness, we took her to the ped, who gave her a shot of steroids. It worked well, but I'd really like to avoid such drastic measures this time around. Does anyone know of home remedies/homeopathy (other than the steam treatment, which did nothing for dd this a.m.)? I'd appreciate any help--it breaks my heart to hear my precious little one laboring for breath! Thank you!
#2 of 7 Old 05-15-2002, 08:04 AM

Breathing steam and then going outside to breathe cold air helps. So, you stay in the steamy bathroom for 20 minutes and then bundle up and go outside to breathe cold air for another 20 minutes. I'm sorry, I didn't look at your location, so I don't know if you have cold air in May where you are. I don't know of any homeopathic remedies, but I did the hot/cold treatment for dd (who has asthma) and it worked. On the other hand, this treatment didn't work for ds and he got a shot of steroids. But he had stridor (msp) which is a noise you make when you can't breathe. He was also tugging in at his collar bone and between his ribs, showing that breathing was so difficult that he was using his upper body muscles to help himself to breathe. These are signs that the case of croup is more severe. If your baby isn't laboring with breathing like that, then you shouldn't need steroids.
#3 of 7 Old 05-15-2002, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your experience, DayLily. Dd was having pretty severe stridor and her chest was pulling in, so I took her to the ped for a shot of steroids. He also did a nebulizing treatment, using plain saline solution. It was not her regular ped, and he wanted to put her in the hospital for IV steroids & a cool mist tent. I assured him that I felt much more comfortable caring for dd at home since she is still acting fine (I don't want to expose her to all those germs at the hospital unless she's seriously ill!). She's doing much better now, and resting well. We have prescription steroid pills to give her tonight, so we're praying that all goes well. I know that the croup generally goes away in 3-5 days, so we're hoping for 3! Thanks again for the help!
#4 of 7 Old 05-17-2002, 07:25 PM

We had a croup scare on holiday last September (the night of 9/11, in fact ) i didn't know about the cool night air thing. we had to go in an ambulance and they gave DS steroids. I knew nothing about it and he was having a really hard time breathing and the more he cried the harder it was.
Here is what I have learned:
COLD air humidifier or
driving up the coast with the windows down and babe bundled up.
It is the cool air that expands the airway, not warm. Heat contracts. I know that some books say steam of any kind and maybe that works too, but I dunno.
In terms of homeopathy, Aconite, Spongia and Hepar Sulph are the three main remedies. Try Aconite first at the beginning of the illness. Don't bother with that one if you are well into the condition. If the Aconite does nothing within a relatively short time go to Spongia. Then Hepar if that does nothing.
If the cropu seems to be recurrent you might want to think about getting constitutional treatment. That is what we are doing. We have given him tuberculinum as a constitutional per our homeopath because he keeps getting these croupy things at night and I relive the horrible night over and over again. i would never have given him steroids but I consented because I knew nothing else at that point and made a choice between the evil steroid and his being unable to breathe and maybe dying, I chose steroid.
But now I wouldn't do that again.
Good luck to you.
#5 of 7 Old 05-17-2002, 07:52 PM

Herbs For kids cherry bark blend
#6 of 7 Old 05-17-2002, 07:58 PM

yeah, good one mamabliss we got that too. that is a great combo.
#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2002, 11:13 AM

My dd had croup 3 days on day 2 we started homeopathic remedies and the next after noon it was gone. I wouldnt have believed it if i didnt see it myself. I see alot of kids have croup it must be the weather

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page