Mothering Forum banner

hiccups every day for 1 1/2 weeks

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dairy2dogs 
#1 ·
Has anyone dealt with chronic hiccups? My 12 yr old dd has been hiccuping every day for the last week & half. They aren't non stop but pretty close to it. We went to the chiropractor yesterday hoping that would stop them but no such luck. I'm starting to think I should take her to the doctor. Any ideas what may be going on? She says she doesn't have a stomach ache or heartburn, btw. I had heard reflux can cause hiccups but that doesn't seem to be the case with her.

#2 ·
I bookmarked this a couple of weeks ago because I thought it was so interesting. Give it a try and tell us if it works!

"In 1971, Edgar Engelman, MD, conducted a study to find out if a spoonful of sugar really is an effective cure for hiccups. He assembled a group of 20 patients who had been experiencing intractable hiccups for more than six hours, eight of whom had had them anywhere from a full day to six weeks. Each of the test subjects was given one teaspoon of white granulated sugar to swallow dry, and for 19 of the 20 hiccup patients, the cure was immediate. André Dubois, MD, a gastroenterologist in Bethesda, Maryland, noted in The Doctors Book of Home Remedies that "the sugar is probably acting in the mouth to modify the nervous impulses that would otherwise tell the muscles in the diaphragm to contract spasmodically."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.