Breast cyst biopsy--would get it done? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-16-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am in my early 40s and have never had any problems with mamograms until now.

1.  I was overdue by 2 years, but finally went in Feb.

2.  1st mamo "showed something" on left breast, probably nothing to worry about, but they wanted a re-do mamo.

3.  2nd mamo showed what they thought were cysts, probably nothing to worry about, but they wanted me to get an ultrasound.

4.  Ultrasound showed what they thought were several cysts, probably nothing to worry about, but they wanted me to get a clinical breast exam.

5.  I got the clinical brest exam this week, but since cysts still present through several menstrual cycles, but she wants me to get a biopsy (probably nothing to worry about).

I don't understand why I have to keep getting these tests if everyone knows that they are just cysts.  confused.gif

Would you get the biopsy done?

#2 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Personally I would and I have done in the past with a cyst that doctors and tests showed to be "probably benign". But then I have a history of breast cancer in my family and lost my mother to breast cancer. So it was scary for me. Plus the type of cyst had a possibility of growing especially with pregnancy and nursing. I was planning on having children at the time in the future and didn't want that added worry.

You usually have a choice of different biopsy approaches. A needle aspiration to take out cell, partial removal of the cyst and then full removal of the cyst. Did they refer you to a doctor who would be able to perform the biopsy? I met with the doctor who then ended up removing the cyst and they were able to discuss all the different avenues of biopsy.

Good luck with what you decide to do. It doesn't hurt to check it out especially if you have insurance to cover it. Some of the above approaches can be fairly non-invasive.

#3 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Yes, I would get it done. I would want to know for sure. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last year after a biopsy of a "probably nothing to worry about."

#4 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 PM

I had a fibroadenoma when I was pregnant and I got the needle biopsy done to find out what it was. Definitely get it checked out!

#5 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I was wondering if the doctors were blowing things out of proportion, or trying to "cover themselves" and recommending things that weren't necessary.  I don't have a great history with the medical profession.  :(

Hmmmm.  I probably will talk to the breast surgeon that my GP suggested to see if she thinks the biopsy is necessary.

Thanks again. It is nice to get advice here!

#6 of 7 Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM

You may also want to look into thermography and also treating cysts naturally.

#7 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM

I think that even though a biopsy is technically a surgical procedure, it's relatively safe and easy to do and I would think it's worth the piece of mind.  There are so many different types of breast cancer and you can only tell so much from mammograms and ultrasounds.  I think they do all of these procedures for just about anyone who looks 'suspicious' because when at all possible, they want to avoid missing something that they could have treated more easily early on if needed.

Good luck!  I know that going through all of this can be a bit nerve racking!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page