Help! 3yr old with frequent sticky poos, sore butt :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok my 3yr old has had off and on problems with constipation for a long time. She recently got worse again so I gave her some children's lax a few times. She had a  few good poos now tho she keeps having these frequent tiny little poos so often that her butt is red and sore. I don't know what to do. I'm putting vaseoline on her. Is she still constipated or did the laxative mess her up? Anyone else had this happen? Suggestions? Also she has an ASD and very poor diet, will only eat very few things. I already give her flax seed oil and probiotics daily on her peanut butter crackers. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM

not sure, but i'd say...when it's a small amount/sticky what's going on is the poop that's easiest to pass is going around what can't get out.  does that make sense?  i'd recommend a visit to the ped, but that's just my 2cents.  good luck for your little one!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Have you tried an elimination diet?  The reason that I ask is that my son had similar symptoms and it turns out that he was sensitive to gluten/dairy/corn.  Cutting those out of our diet has done miracles for us.  He started having constipation at about 12 months.  By around 20 months he still had constipation and did not have a good appetite.  He went from eating a lot to slowly not eating much at all at meals.  We did a food sensitivity test and confirmed what we were guessing all along and not only cut out gluten/corn/dairy but per the advice of his docotor (who's absolutely wonderful) we cut out all grains.  Between 12 months to 20 months I had tried cutting gluten/corn/dairy one at a time but never together and I did not see results until they were all removed from his diet. It took a few weeks for everything to clear from his system but after that he started to have a LOT more regular bowl movements and his appetite opened up tremendously.  I hope this helps.  Let me know if you would like anymore information regarding my situation.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Look up encopresis. We went through this recently with my son. Although she had a few good poops, the "poop leaks" as we called them, are a sign she is still constipated. we are giving my son daily Miralax (started with 1 tbls and after 2 weeks of daily pooping, we are down to half that) and also TRIPLE the recommended dose of high efficacy probiotics. Our mainstream ped recommended mineral oil, and we did that for a couple of weeks (combined with the Miralax) while his bottom healed and the poops stopped hurting.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 AM

GFCF, enzymes, probiotics, magnesium. I would definitely not give Miralax, especially for an ASD child Check out the Miralax yahoo group for more info.

Enzyme Stuff is great:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtencopresis.htm

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

User Tag List