3yo w/tick bite - need advice on antibiotics & alternatives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tonight before bed, DD told me her head hurt and when I checked discovered a tick. I know zilch about them so after some googling, discovered it was a female deer tick who had yet to have a "blood meal". We removed the tick but part of the head is still embedded so we're headed to the pedi in the morning. From our phone conversation, I know he is in favor of treating with antibiotics. I always follow my instincts and usually they tell me to stay away from abx. Neither of my daughters has ever taken any. But my gut tells me to take the abx but I know it's just because I'm uninformed about ticks and lyme disease. I've tried searching for information but can't find much. 

If we opt to not take the abx, is there anything we can do to boost her immune system to combat the Lyme disease carrying bacteria?

If we opt to take the abx, is there anything we can do to lessen the impact they have on my daughter's body?

I'm feeling quite lost so any guidance, advice or "I've been there" stories would be much appreciated. Thanks =)

#2 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM

I have no advice.  I was about to ask the same question when I saw yours.  My 3 year old also has a deer tick head imbedded in her head.  I gave her ledum 30c, echinacea and vit. C. We are cutting out sugar and being more careful about including a lot of nourishing food. I am watching it carefully for the bulls eye and infection.  I will try again tonight to get the head out ,of course that is really hard with a 3 year old.  I am pulling more hair out than the tick, poor girl.  Keep me updated on what you do. 

farming with 2 wild things and their hot daddy uc.jpg
#3 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Lyme disease can take a LONG time to recover from.  If you see a rash, or if your MD says the stuck head increases risk of Lyme disease, the abx are definitely the lesser of evils.  Lyme is endemic in the tick population in some parts of the country, so your tick is quite likely to have it and the head being stuck sounds to me like it could increase the chances of infection.  I avoid antibiotics as much as possible, but in your particular situation, I would not hesitate.  Lyme sucks.

FYI in future - a dab of vaseline on the tick cuts of its O2 supply, and then they have to back up a little.  This makes it easier to pull them out with tweezers - you're more likely to get the whole thing.

#4 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Not sure if you saved the tick or not but where I live (with a very high lyme rates) you can take the tick to be tested. If you didn't know I'd probably do abx. I know 3 women living with chronic lyme and it's no joke and no fun. 

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#5 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Did lots of research last night and spoke with pedi this morning. The tick we removed was flat and appeared to not have had it's first blood meal so (per pedi & research I did) the likelihood of DD having gotten Lyme is very low. Our pedi follows local protocol which is to wait it out and see if symptoms arise. She emphasized what I'd read that with children under 8 years of age there is no evidence the abx will have any effect as a preventative measure. We're going to monitor and if symptoms arise within the next 2-3 weeks, administer abx. About the head being in, there is no increased potential for exposure to Lyme once the tick is dead. We just need to make sure it doesn't become infected so just keeping it clean and monitoring. At the moment, I'm thinking about having DD tested in a few weeks regardless of symptoms appearing to be on the safe side. Thanks everyone for the input and hope this helps some @gentlecowgirl =)

#6 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Personally I'd do the abx. Two of my kids and I have chronic lyme (they got it from me). When the tick attaches itself, it squirts in an anesthetic so that you don't feel it and it can suck your blood to its heart's content. When it squirts in is when you can get it, not when it's sucking out (though you can get it then too). Knowing what I know now about lyme, I wouldn't hesitate to do abx in this case, and take probiotics 2-3 hours away from the abx to mitigate the effects. The bullseye rash is only in like 30% of cases or something like that.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned

hmm we are in a lyme ridden area, it is a constant concern during tick season.

Last night in fact I woke up and scratched my arm, felt a deer tick and had DH pull it off right away. It was already pretty fat so yes I am concerned now a little bit.

from all that I have read the tick needs to be attached for something close to 24 hours to really increase threat of transmission. If it hadn't even had a meal yet I wouldn't really be worried about it, but that is just me. We pull of deer ticks all the time that have only recently attached and aren't bloated at all yet. The bloated ones worry me. 

I am keeping an eye on my arm to see if anything develops...

I second the using some kind of substance if it is really really imbedded to first get it to back up a little bit. 

I haven't ever pulled a tick without the head coming off, maybe because we've been pulling ticks off ourselves since forever around here, I don't know so I don't even know how you would get the head out after the fact...

Goodluck, my SIL has lyme and it is tough on her, not something you want but honestly, if it was my DD I really wouldn't sweat it since the tick hadn't been attached long enough to even suck some blood.

#8 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM

I have lyme real bad, caused so many allergies, I hurt all the time, and I wasn't even able to walk at the time of its worst. I would take abx no blink of an eye. And I am anti abx usually. To live this way would be horrible especially for a kid.
#9 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It isn't true that they have to be on more than 24 hours. As soon as they attach they're shooting stuff into your skin. It's also not true that it's only from deer ticks (can be from other kinds of ticks and biting flies).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

I have lyme real bad, caused so many allergies, I hurt all the time, and I wasn't even able to walk at the time of its worst. I would take abx no blink of an eye. And I am anti abx usually. To live this way would be horrible especially for a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

It isn't true that they have to be on more than 24 hours. As soon as they attach they're shooting stuff into your skin. It's also not true that it's only from deer ticks (can be from other kinds of ticks and biting flies).

yup to both.

I use clay on the site to draw anything out that I can and dose with ledum 30c every half hour for 6 doses.  Then 3 times a day for 3 days.  This usually is fairly good protection.  However if you miss the bite, or a fever develops anyway I dose with 1m of ledum and then call for abx.  You can also take a test (There's only one that will be of real use IMO-it's by neuroscience and usually covered by insurance) to see if there's an active infection and use that as your guide.  If the infection is present and active I'd take abx.

#11 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 AM

Couple things - lyme is NO JOKE.  It can cause lifelong problems that may be avoided all together with antibiotics.  It is not proven that antibiotics taken profilactically (sp) will prevent lyme, but the side effects of unnecessary antibiotics are literally nothing compared to the potential problems caused by lyme disease.  If there is a strong chance that the tick is a deer tick, I would probably go ahead and get the antibiotics  - and I avoid antibiotics if at all possible. Second, the test is not 100% either way, so just because it comes back negative I would not be convinced that it is accurate.  Good luck. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#12 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4-4-10 View Post

Couple things - lyme is NO JOKE.  It can cause lifelong problems that may be avoided all together with antibiotics.  It is not proven that antibiotics taken profilactically (sp) will prevent lyme, but the side effects of unnecessary antibiotics are literally nothing compared to the potential problems caused by lyme disease.  If there is a strong chance that the tick is a deer tick, I would probably go ahead and get the antibiotics  - and I avoid antibiotics if at all possible. Second, the test is not 100% either way, so just because it comes back negative I would not be convinced that it is accurate.  Good luck. 

the newer test is up to 96% accurate and in the absence of symptoms I'd defer to it.  You can get clear results within 3 weeks from the bite.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page