Perioral dermatitis, anyone BTDT? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So for the past 2 months I had this rash around my mouth and around my eyes that would flare up and then go away, but in the areas stayed VERY dry. My skin looks awful, just like very dry looking and like I have aged a ton. I looked up the symptoms and they match up with Perioral dermatitis. I looked online for information and am coming up empty handed for the most part, except antibiotics which I would rather stay away from but looks like this is the only real option in getting rid of this and I can not have this on my face much longer, it is killing my self esteem. Anyways, I was hoping to find some BTDT experience. 

Thank you SO much for any input!

#2 of 5 Old 05-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Are you taking zinc? That would be my first move.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I take 22mg a day from a supplement.

From what I have researched it looks like antibiotics are really the only cure for this, everything else looks like it may stop it for awhile then it comes back. I set an appt with my GP for Monday to see what she thinks.

#4 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM

@lovenest- did your GP help you out? Dealing w/ this right now and am 3 months post-partum. It started w/ my pregnancy, but I haven't seen any improvement yet. Not on Zinc...do you think that helped? I'm wondering if nursing is keeping the hormones flowing and this the rash is continuing. Thanks for any feedback on what worked for you ladies.
#5 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwade02 View Post

@lovenest- did your GP help you out? Dealing w/ this right now and am 3 months post-partum. It started w/ my pregnancy, but I haven't seen any improvement yet. Not on Zinc...do you think that helped? I'm wondering if nursing is keeping the hormones flowing and this the rash is continuing. Thanks for any feedback on what worked for you ladies.

I ended up having to take doxycycline, I was on it for 5 weeks. I cleared it up totally after about 4 weeks on it. I did have another flare up, but it went away on its own. Seems like when the weather changes I get a mini flare up. I also changed to this soap which I think has helped as I have not had another flare up:

http://www.amazon.com/Jericho-Dead-Sea-Minerals-Soap-4-4/dp/B000IMJS0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357186147&sr=8-3&keywords=sea+mud+soap

I also make sure there is no questionable chemicals etc in my hair products and try to keep my hands off my face.

Best of luck to you, I know how frustrating it is.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page