Chiropractic for Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all ...

My DS is 10 months old, and he's crawling, pulling himself up, creeping along, and falling all over the place. A few weeks ago we went on vacation and he rolled off the hotel bed (I feel really guilty about that one) ... he's fine, but he's been a bit more fussy and clingy lately; I know he's working out a few more teeth, and he's got a lot of mental processing that is probably making it harder for him to sleep but I thought at trip to the Chiro would be beneficial all the same! I used to work with Chiropractors and I love it, I think it's a great treatment. When I mentioned it to DH he surprised me by saying he was reluctant. (He couldn't say *why* he wasn't into it, but kept vaguely mentioning things like "his bones are just so new, and like, still growing .." ... ?) 

ANYWAY: I want some solid info to give DH so he can get over his fear of this wonderful treatment. He stubbornly refuses to read anything with an emotional slant. Do any of you have info/experiences you'd like to share??

TIA :)

ETA: I've already found a DC in my area, highly recommended by a good friend who has brought her kids, so I will call the office and ask if they have any info too.

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 AM

My dd started going to the chiropractor at 4 mos. She obviously loved it and as she got older she would beam everytime she saw him. Our chiro adjusted my dd on top of me which added a lot more cushion and comfort for her. The adjustments helped so much for mood and comfort. I don't have anything scientific to give you other than a satisfied customer. BTW that 4 mos old dd of mine is 20 yo now and still loves chiropractic!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM

I don't have any links, but I've been taking both my kids to the chiro since birth, whenever they have a growth/developmental spurt and when they have big falls.  My youngest was able to wean off his reflux medication because of chiro treatments.  For infants, adjustments are very gentle and safe.  If you can convince your DH, I would take him with you to a consult, with the hopes the the Chiro can convince him-they have the best information.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yup. my DS has been adjusted since birth. Personally I feel the most comfortable taking him to a pediatric DC. Most DC's adjust kids, but some have more experience with it than others and pediatric DC's - well kids are their specialties.

here are some research articles about chiropractic care for kids

http://icpa4kids.org/Chiropractic-Research/

you can look for a pediatric chiro here:

http://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/

also I don't believe in going just for a fall..Chiropractic is all about preventaive healthcare. JMHO

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM

My lil guy got adusted when he was 4 days old. (Me too of course) He went when he was going through the 'colicy' stage. And I brang/bring him in whenever he's had a particularly head banging fall. (Like backwards off the arm of the sofa)  In the future, i'm sure I'll bring him in if something physical happens, but also maybe 2-3 times a year for 'maintenence' etc after a groth spurt.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM

My boys are both adjusted monthly.  Our chiropractor is on the list linked above.  We LOVE her:D

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would bring dh in for a consultation.  That way he can have any questions answered, and the DC can actually show your dh what he would do and what kind of pressure he would use.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for responding! :)

I think we're going to schedule a consult for a time DH can be there and he can get his questions answered. I appreciate the links, Marnica, thanks!

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 

User Tag List