Bentonite clay questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am just now discovering bentonite clay and am excited about using it but have a few questions.

How do you use it to prevent the stomach bug once exposed? or once you have the stomach bug?

What does it taste like?

How much is needed for a paste to help with ant bites? (my son is allergic to ants)

I have anxiety issues about stomach bugs so once it is going around town, I drive myself crazy with worry.  I know it is silly and won't change a thing but I am down right terrified of throwing up and more so hearing other people throw up.  My husband is a LOUD puker and once he gets a bug it goes on and on and on.  I think I have PTSD from hearing him puke.  The idea of having something that will help is very exciting to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 01:39 PM

different clays will taste different, but all are *pretty* mild.

it won't prevent a bug, but it will help with the symptoms.

To make a paste or a poultice just dump about a T. or 2 into your hand and add water to desired thickness.  How much you need will depend on the area you need to cover.  For a facial I use about a T.

You can take it once you get exposed to a bug to prevent being troubled with most of the symptoms, but I'd recommend taking it for sure once you have any nausea/upset stomach/loose bowels.

I take it every day as a supplement and have had tremendous health benefits that are directly correlated to it.  I hope you find it useful to you!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM

PB is the queen of clay!

I will just say that the bentonite clay I take tastes like water. No flavor whatsoever. Mine is hydrated, though.

I am delving into dry clay soon. :)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

PB is the queen of clay!

HA!  I should put that on my business cards....or just use it as a senior title.  lol.gif

Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 PM

my kids love it mixed with a spoon of raw honey and will come and ask for it when they feel queasy , nauseous etc; and it really does work to relieve the symptoms!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM

Not to steer you off bentonite clay, which is amazing stuff, but I have found that activated charcoal is almost more effective for internal issues, as it has an absorption capacity of something like a football field. Something to look into. And I wouldnt probably take it until you experience symptoms of stomach upset, I dont know the impact on the bowels of taking it consistently, and what that could do to your probiotic levels. And since immunity starts in the gut, keeping your probiotics at optimum levels is, well, optimum. You may not get sick if your defense lines are strong!! And thats good for everyone!

wife to dh the love of my life, and mommy to ds 3/10 . I get to spend everyday with my hero and my miracle.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 AM

there's a thread going in the allergy section about using high dose probiotics and clay for gut healing.  I have not found the same as you with activated charcoal, but I suspect there may be reasons why that could be a better choice than clay for some.  I've been teasing that out recently.  It doesn't serve the same purpose, but there is overlap in terms of absorption and adsorption.  I'd love to hear more about your experiences if you're willing to share!  I am beginning to think a big difference may be that the charcoal does not stir up toxins in the bowel as much as clay.  I've had a few people that couldn't tolerate clay but when I mixed it with charcoal they did great.  However if we went to all charcoal they didn't get the benefits of clay.  The answer may be for really sensitive folks to start with charcoal and move to clay once the charcoal sort of neutralized the area.  LOL.

Anyway, here or there I'd love to have you chime in!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of your helpful information!!

I am going to check out the other thread now.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well we got the bug!!

Poor DD got thrown up on at a picnic on Sunday.  I have ordered my clay from Pascalite but it isn't here yet so we started taking Culturelle 2xs a day because it is all I have.  She was up all night with a tummy ache. 

The clay won't be here in time for the rest of us and the only thing at the health food store is sonnes #7, is this a good  option? http://www.sonnes.com/products_line_7.html

There is no way sick dd or healthy son will take the activated charcoal.

Edit to add link

User Tag List