Toddler first time on antibiotics, which probiotic should I use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2.5 year old is on antibiotics (amoxicillin) for throat infection and is on the 7th day. I have heard about the probiotics recently. And looked up on a few brands - Baby Jarrow's, Culturelle etc. The doctor is not very useful at suggesting this (hasn't even returned my call yet). 

What probiotics do you recommend for that age? Also in what combination, what times and how much should I give them and for how long? 

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Dallas.

#2 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Do you have an ND or natural health store nearby you can talk to?  I am in this situation because my son will be taking antibiotics.  I did read that if you do the probiotics to take them as far from your dose of antibiotics as you can to maximize effectiveness.  Kefir is also a great source of probiotics and I have gotten some at the grocery store that tasted just like yogurt. Usually when you buy the probiotic it tells you what dose to give certain age groups, and you start with less for the first 5 days and then up the dose.  And sauerkraut is another great source of probiotics, but most people aren't big fans, especially kids.  I make my own but then again I'm German.  lol.

#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you JLomama! 

I bought the BabyJarrow's probiotic (the blue bottle with 3 billion count per.. er something :D ). Will give some of it to my DS today evening. Hopefully will be able to keep atleast 2 hours gap between that and his night dose of the antibiotics. 

Is the Baby Jarrow's probiotic too mild for a 2.5 year old toddler? Should I give him the adult version instead? 

Just wondering.. 

#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM

I picked up FloraBear for Kids at my local health food store. I always talk to the wellness coordinators there before I buy anything.  My 4 yr old has been sick and getting rashes/dry skin/eczema and I just discovered a tick deep in his scalp.  I tried to remove it part of it is still in there.  I took him to the doctor yesterday and insisted that we start an antibiotic asap. I'm not taking chances and I have no idea how long it was there.  So, we are doing amoxicillin for awhile.  This probiotic is 1 billion CPU in a chewable tablet and I give it to him twice a day.  I personally avoid giving my kids adult doses of anything.  I'm just not comfortable doing that unless the ND tells me that it's ok.  We are all going tomorrow to get muscle tested for Lyme. It is such a problem here. I'm also going to pick up more Vit C and I'm giving him a chewable zinc w/ slippery elm, echinacea, and olive leaf from Animal Parade. Oh, and a tsp of colloidal silver once a day. He may need more than that but I don't have much right now. Have you heard of Vitacost.com? You can get a lot of things there a lot less than in health food stores. And until the 31st they have free shipping on all orders of $49 and up. Just do what you can to support his immune system and keep up with the probiotics. I'm going to continue giving probiotics for at least a month after he's done with the antibiotic. 

#5 of 5 Old 05-26-2011, 12:44 PM

I used Garden of Life Primal Defense for kids powder when ds had antibiotics and it was AMAZING. He has had bowel/pooping issues since he was 5 mos and he used to poop only 1x per week, 3 days on Primal defense he was pooping 4x per day. And he was almost stricting BF at the time. He was 12 mos when I gave it to him, even though the package said 3 yrs and up, I was desperate. Baby jarrow didnt work for him, some adult ones didnt even work for him, and with the primal defense he didnt get any skin conditions, no thrush, etc I am considering writing the company and asking why its labeled 3 and up. I am so grateful I found them!

wife to dh the love of my life, and mommy to ds 3/10 . I get to spend everyday with my hero and my miracle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page