Infected, black blister on foot - red line climbing up leg - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went walking with my friend in some really tight, uncomfortable shoes, and I got a huge blister on my toe. I didn't think much of it - I get blisters all the time and they often just disappear - so I went swimming and didn't mess with it. I guess it burst somewhere in there and got heinously infected, because I got a 100 degree fever and a migraine, all the while my toe throbbing and swelling up. I went to the after-hours clinic nearby and they gave me some antibiotics, but the red line climbing up my ankle has gotten a lot more inflamed and the blister has turned black even though I've already taken three doses, I think, of both of the antibiotics prescribed to me. Also, now I'm continually throwing up, so I can't even keep them down anymore. I'm not a mother - I'm only eighteen - but I know you all are and my own mother doesn't really know where to go with this. Should I go to the emergency room or wait for the antibiotics to kick in, assuming I'll stop vomiting?

#2 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Look there is a very good chance this post is a troll.  But in case it is not...

You need to get to the emergency room right away of course.  That red line is blood poisoning and if you delay it will kill you.

Seriously.  Go right now. 

#3 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM

I would head into the ER, for sure. With your symptoms I would be worried about the infection being in the blood stream, and the antibiotics you're on are just not enough for something like that. This is definitely something that requires emergency treatment now!!

Good luck!!!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. We're going right now.

And no, I'm not a troll. :)

#5 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 11:19 AM

I'm glad you are heading to the ER. Infections like that are something you do not want to mess around with. I hope you feel better soon!
#6 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm at the hospital and they're giving me vancomycin intravenously and I should be out of here in a couple of hours. Thanks for the advice and well wishes, everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page