For those who have had their gallbladder removed... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Sorry if there is TMI in this post!) I had gallbladder disease 4 years ago and had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago. I heard the only side effect (with some ppl) after the removal of your gallbladder is sometimes you will have the urge to *rush* to the bathroom. I talked to a couple of other people who also had their gallbladder removed and they said this is true. Well, sure enough...for the last 3 years, this has been a problem for me. I seem to have the most issues in the morning after my first meal. I am always trying to pay attention to what foods cause the problem, but it's so random. Some foods that will cause a problem today wont cause problems tomorrow. I just dont get it. I don't have insurance, so seeing a doctor about this is out of the question. I was just wonder could this be a case of IBS? Has anyone else experienced this problem? My husband was just looking through an Azure Standard catalog and came across a supplement called L Glutamine and it says it can help various gastrointestinal problems. Does anyone know anything about L Glutamine? Thanks!

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 02:06 AM

Fat is the most common cause post-gallbladder surgery of diarrhea.

I had my gallbladder removed 9 months ago. I have zero diarrhea when I eat low or nonfat.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oops, I forgot to mention. I eat mainly a traditional foods diet, so eating HEALTHY fats is a major part of my diet. (but I just started this diet 1.5 years ago) I was having problems being vegetarian AND eating a traditonal foods diet.

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Its the amount of fats that can be problematic (it doesn't seem to matter all that much whether the fats are healthy or not). I have to keep fats below 5 grams a day, and spread them out. Do you have any idea how much fat you eat at a sitting? Maybe you could try recording the amounts at each meal for a week or so to see if there is any correlation between fat intake and dumping syndrome. Also, bile salts are supposed to help with that. If its fats that are the problem, bile salts might allow you to eat more fats at a sitting (I don't use bile salts because they make me feel nauseous but a lot of people say they help).

Old 06-04-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!

User Tag List