remedies for DD's abdominal migraines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am suspecting my 8-year-old daughter's frequent abdominal pain may be caused by abdominal migraines.  It is something I just heard of, but all the symptoms fit.  In addition to cutting out common migraine triggers like chocolate, cheese, etc (at least I don't have to worry about cutting out red wine for her!!) I am going to try mag phos cell salts and I have read riboflavin also helps.  Any other ideas?  Anyone know how to take riboflavin? She doesn't take pills, so I usually look for liquids.  

#2 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

have you tried a food diary to see if it's a certain food (that may not be a common trigger)?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

We've kept a food journal for more than a year (!) since this has been an ongoing problem.  First thought it was dairy, and then ruled that out.  Then suspected gluten; ruled that out.  Checked corn, eggs. . . looked for patterns in all the occurences.  The only constant in the journal has been perceived stress (before spelling bee, traveling, etc).  But then there are other stressful situations that don't trigger the pain.  We have been at a loss, as has our naturopath AND our allopathic dr.  She has had a CT scan to rule out appendicitis when it was unbearable once, been treated for possible parasites, had NAET, continuing with craniosacral, and on and on.

Then I happened upon the "abdominal migraine" info and it seemed like everything clicked.  I did go back through the journal, and triggers like pizza (pepperoni) and caffiene (iced tea) do show a pattern.

I am going to cut out all the suspected triggers for the abdominal migraines, and continue the journal.  I was hoping that one of the mamas here had some experience with this.

One of the other things I found about children's abdominal migraines is that the mother usually is a migraine sufferer.  I had horrendous migraines for years so that fits also.

I may be grasping just to find an "answer" but it is one of those things that my gut tells me to follow.

#4 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Is she vomiting when she's having her pain?  My daughter has Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and takes a Belladonna-Phenobarbital mixture.  It cut her vomiting last cycle to 9 times over 24 hours.  They don't have good migraine meds for kids.

#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wow -- that sounds horrible for your DD to have that vomiting syndrome.  My daughter does vomit once in a while, but not every time and never more than once per episode.  What she experiences is more gut-wrenching pain, which she describes as someone punching in her stomach and then pulling it back out and then doing it again.   Sometimes she is stoic throughout, but other times she is inconsolable and tells me she wants to die.  Horrible for a mother to hear. . .

#6 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

has she been checked for parasites - in particular pin worms? I had that as a child and it's exactly as you described. For three years. I was in the ER more than once.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion -- yes, she was treated by our allopathic doc for every type of parasite under the sun -- stool sample tests did come back positive, but even after meds the pain did not stop.  Our naturopath says everyone who eats the way we do (farm:  raw milk, home-butchered chicken meat, eggs, veggies grown in composted manure) has parasites so even though the tests were positive, it obviously was not what was causing the pain, since the treatment didn't stop the occurences.

You can see why I'm desperate to find an answer. . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page