Radioactive grandpa wants to visit. WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-08-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My FIL is going to be undergoing brachytherapy (the implantation of radioactive seeds into a space close to his prostate) in order to try to beat a mild case of prostate cancer. The implantation of the radioactive seeds will be next week. Last night he told DH that he will be radioactive for at least 6 months following the procedure. Hearing that made a bit concerned about him coming to visit our family in the summer. Apparently the doctors have told him that he is safe to be around others but should not hold young children on his lap for more than a few minutes. Hearing that specifically freaked me out even more. I do not always always agree with what allopathic doctors consider to be ok but have no real understanding of the therapy or radiation in general. I'm hoping that some of you have experience with this type of treatment or know more than I do about radioactivity (that's not hard).

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page