Horrible bug bites on legs. How to treat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am at a loss for my poor DS.  He seems to be getting bug bites somewhere, and I am guessing it is at his preschool.  They regularly go down near a river and lake for walks and he comes home with bug bites that are driving him crazy with itching.  His legs are literally plastered from the knees down.  I have been using every cream I can think of, and nothing helps with the intense itching.  Anyone have any suggestions?

P6080003.JPG

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Clay.  honestly, it's my fave for things like this.  Baking soda or mud will work too...but I tend to go for clay.  I make a poultice-a thick one and spread it on.  If possible I saran wrap it to keep moisture in, let it sit for an hour or so and wash off.  depending on symptoms/severity I'll do it a few times a day.  It's really helpful in drawing out the junk.

I would personally probably do high-ish doses of vitamin C too.  Just to deal with any histamine response, but if you have benadryl you can do that too if you're more comfortable.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you so much.  I don't have any clay, but I do have baking soda, saran wrap and soap.  I also have Benadryl, and am ok with giving it to him, not sure why I didn't think of that earlier when he was so miserable.  He is asleep now, so I am going to let it go until tomorrow unless he wakes up from it.  He is already taking 1000mg of Vitamin C once a day, but I could easily bump it up to twice a day.  I will try all of those in the morning if he is still having a hard time.  I just am shocked at how horrible his legs look.  The bumps are all so big and hard and hot.  Not good at all.  He is also starting to scratch the skin off and some are bleeding on the backs of his legs.  Poor kiddo.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM

good luck.  with the BS I'd not leave it on too long then.  I'd use the saran wrap to protect furniture and whatnot...but I'd probably only leave it on for a half hour.

the key to using vitamin c for something like this is keeping levels in the bloodstream high.  so for instance it's more effective to have 500mg 6 times a day than 3000mg once.  if I were in your shoes and were bumping it to 2000mg I'd do what I could to make that 4 doses.  500mg 4 times a day.  again, just my two cents.  the reality is if you have benadryl that will work.

hope your little guy feels better.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 PM

Almost any kind of bite that occurs from the bug leaving spit/venom in the bite (mosquitos, etc) can be cured with antiperspirant on the bite as soon as possible after the bite happens... I know it sounds weird but it works great. I used it on my LO during our recent trip to Arkansas. It doesn't help with the itching but gets rid of them nicely most of the time.

PS it sounds like a nice preshcool, to take them on walks and all :)

Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

this same thing happened to my ds, he got some mosquito bites and they just blew up, blistered and looked horrid all around. it sucked.

mama to one '07 and one '09
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Another one who uses clay. My youngest dd gets bug bites like that (except it's mostly in her hair). I get the Bentonite Clay at Whole Foods.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the tips, we are going camping next week for 5 days, so I will see if I can find some clay before then, and will definitely be bringing some Benadryl and baking soda with us.  Luckily he woke up this morning pretty much not itchy.  He said it was much better and I didn't notice him scratching all day.  The welts were also much smaller, but still red.  I was starting to consider calling his doc, but it looks we are on the other side. 

Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM

I react to mosquito bites just like that.  I use calamine lotion on the spots and take benadryl if it's really itchy.

User Tag List