vaginal itching in 9 yr. old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD has been complaining for some time now that her vulva/vaginal area itches.  I'm trying to figure out what to do about it.  After doing some research on the internet, I'm thinking perhaps it is vulvovaginitis, but obviously, I'm not a dr.  Any other thoughts about it, and how to treat it?  I'm going to speak with her about hygiene and cleaning to make sure she is not using soap on those areas.  I don't think she is, and she's always been very careful about wiping well.  I would love to hear from any other moms who have dealt with this with their DDs.  

#2 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 AM

could be pinworms.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

She is the only one of all my children who is complaining about itching, though.  It seems, like at the very least, DD2 would also have pinworms, since they often share a shower, sleep together, underwear (although that would be clean, not going from one bottom to the other, lol), play together, etc.  

I did talk to her about it tonight.  She said she hasn't noticed any bad odors, no clumpy discharge (just a normal wetness occasionally).  

I may have her use a light cream and see if that helps.  If it doesn't, I guess I'll make an appt. with the NP to see what she thinks.

#4 of 8 Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Just a thought, it could well be things like your TP, and it is possible that she is using soap.
Switching to home made laundry detergent might help as well.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#5 of 8 Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

could be pinworms.

yeah my dd had pinworms. the other children, did not complain of any itchiness. they can travel to the vulva usually at night. look at her poo.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#6 of 8 Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

Just a thought, it could well be things like your TP, and it is possible that she is using soap.
Switching to home made laundry detergent might help as well.

What about the TP would cause itching?  We just use plain white TP, whatever, not any specific brand.  Forgot to ask her about using soap.  We use a F&C detergent, because we have sensitive skinned people here.  

Ugh... I just don't even want to think about it being pinworms.  Not one bit.  It grosses me out, lol.  I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and deal with the possibility.

#7 of 8 Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A bit random but I've found DD complains of itching when she's outgrowing her undies. A bigger size as solved our problem a couple of times.

Hope it turns out to be something simple.

#8 of 8 Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

What about the TP would cause itching?  We just use plain white TP, whatever, not any specific brand.  Forgot to ask her about using soap.  We use a F&C detergent, because we have sensitive skinned people here.  

Ugh... I just don't even want to think about it being pinworms.  Not one bit.  It grosses me out, lol.  I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and deal with the possibility.

The chemical process used to make TP is not what I would call body friendly. I am a bit sensitive myself, so I use flannel wipes as well as cloth pads.
We also make our own detergent that costs about 2 cents per load.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page