low hemoglobin in 3.5 year DD, 3.5 YO blood draw? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD will be 4 in October but I just had her 3 YO physical a couple of weeks ago (we're delaying/skipping vax at this point).  Was bummed that the dr heard wheezing so we've been doing albuterol and flovent but her nighttime coughing is gone so bummed about needing the meds but glad for symptom reduction...

But my main question is about low hemoglobin...  Her finger prick test result was 11.2 and they don't like to see under 11.5.  So they're giving me a script for blood to be drawn.  boooohooooo!  I'm sure no one likes to see a child's blood drawn but I'm an extreme needle *wimp* and have had it as my going to bed and waking thought for the past several days...

We try to eat fairly WAP-ish (whole, traditional foods, do eat grains) but have a tough time sticking to it... the allure of sweetness is everywhere and my kids would both rather a white flour biscuit or processed food snack than most other things, it seems.  Anyway, I've slacked on liver and wonder if that would help her.

And any tips on a blood draw for a preschool aged child?  She's not had any shots so has no current strong needle issues (though doesn't like the idea of anyone "taking her blood.")  She's seen me have blood drawn a year ago and we've talked about how that was fine (ha! what a front I put on lol).  I'm tempted to pursue an EMLA sort of thing - numbing patch or something?  My brother died of brain cancer and I remember him using those to reduce pain from needle pricks :(  Is that overkill for a blood draw?

I figure if we have to get blood drawn that maybe I should also ask for vit D check and maybe even Lyme disease.  I know that's a controversially accurate test, and I don't see Lyme or mysterious symptoms, our area has a super high rate of Lyme and we've removed ~5-10 ticks from her so far this year.

Thanks for any support or ideas, mamas.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#2 of 2 Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If your peds office draws blood, you could certainly ask for EMLA or ask for a script and apply it before you go to a lab.  It does work - I have inserted iv's in children with no pain at all using emla.  Also, try to use words like "test your blood" and positive phrases - "taking" sounds scary - ex:  I tell my kids i'm trimming their nails rather than cutting them - one sounds neat and tidy - the other, invasive.  If you do decide to have the test, try not to express your needle anxiety, remain calm and hold and comfort, use a low quiet voice.  Also, be honest about that it may hurt but will be over soon, etc.    

Good luck and I hope that helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page